"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning
Old 07-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #11
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
If I were facing a diet heavy in rice, I'd take some good curry powders to bring to life rice with vegetable dishes. And I'd be baking regularly. Flour never gets so high that bread is still not a cheap, good-tasting deal, so if I wanted some particular varieties of breads and other baked goods that required some ingredient, I'd be sure to have plenty of that.
What types of basic bread ingredients?

Great info Longwind, just the type of info I'm looking for. Thank you!

fishingfrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #12
Head Chef
Originally Posted by fishingfrenzy View Post
What types of basic bread ingredients?
Oh, mostly seeds, grains, malt, Fiori di Sicilia and other extracts and flavors, that sort of thing, depending on what sort of baked goods one likes, not forgetting the sweet yeast breads. I figure dill, rosemary, etc., that I use in breads can be grown anywhere. Breads just do so much to make things like simple soups a great meal.

And if it was me going to a place with ready access to fresh seafood, I'd want to be sure I had or could get plenty of seaweed suchi wrapper and short grain sushi rice and the accessory ingredients, ginger, wasabi... and sauces. For all I know, all that may be right on the shelves there, but I'd want to know and wouldn't want to pay some silly price for rice vinegar, for instance.

"Kitchen duty is awarded only to those of manifest excellence..." - The Master, Dogen
GLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Luca Lazzari View Post

At least they'll have some good beer...
Good one Luca

All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote