Lunch with mother-in-law

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lots of good suggestions here! Please be sure to let us know what you decided to bring for the luncheon, Joel. And welcome to DC! :flowers:

Thanks, everyone!

All of your suggestions were so good, and I must try that corn salad recipe out. But I decided not to add anything to Rose's lunch; I took her some hostess gifts - a few bottles of wine, some homemade pepper jelly and vacuum packed home-smoked chicken thighs. She was happy, I got rid of stress, AND I got lots of great ideas for next time from y'all! So thanks again :yum:

Last edited:
Glad to hear it, and also to know you got rid of the anxiety at the same time. You did the right thing, you judged it just right, so congratulations to you for that!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

All of your suggestions were so good, and I must try that corn salad recipe out. But I decided not to add anything to Rose's lunch; I took her some hostess gifts - a few bottles of wine, some homemade pepper jelly and vacuum packed home-smoked chicken thighs. She was happy, I got rid of stress, AND I got lots of great ideas for next time from y'all! So thanks again :yum:

Perfect, Joel! As a mother-in-law myself, I would have been very pleased with your choice of hostess gifts. Hope you got a nice hug out of it! :)

Sounds like everything worked out fine. Good for you on that. However, I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering what exactly her "her "famous" (according to my husband) taco salad" really is. Was it worth the advance billing?

Mark loved it, and I guess that's all that counts. But no, it wasn't anything great. Taco meat, iceburg lettuce, processed cheese, crushed tortilla chips and, inexplicably, thousand island dressing. It was very Taco Bell.

I did get a hug. You gotta choose your battles, right? LOL

Yes you do...

My son dated a young lady who insisted that she make us the very best dip, which would be perfect for our pre-Christmas dinner munchies.. (we always pigged out on stuff before dinner :wacko:)
I, eagerly asked her to make the dip for us.. She unwrapped a block of cream cheese and poured half a bottle of seafood cocktail sauce over it.. TA DA!!!

I hugged her and winked at my son... :)

Ross

If that's what you'd take, thats what I'd bring ;) I love fruit and cheese! And melon wrapped in prosciutto. Or a warmed Brie or Camembert spread with pepper jelly. DANG! That would have been a nice addition! But no. I think I made the most diplomatic choice. It was good for Mark, too. He enjoyed his mom's salad, and it was about togetherness instead of my cooking. Win/win. But I'm making up a fruit and cheese plate tomorrow. For myself!

Yes you do...

My son dated a young lady who insisted that she make us the very best dip, which would be perfect for our pre-Christmas dinner munchies.. (we always pigged out on stuff before dinner :wacko:)
I, eagerly asked her to make the dip for us.. She unwrapped a block of cream cheese and poured half a bottle of seafood cocktail sauce over it.. TA DA!!!

I hugged her and winked at my son... :)

Ross
That's too funny. It sounds kinda good though! My MIL actually taught me to make tartar sauce. And I was astounded at how easy it was, and how adaptable, and bit doubtful until I tried it for myself… Equal parts mayo and sour cream, finely chopped yellow onion and finely chopped kosher dill pickle. "That's it?" I hear you all say. Yes add in some minced capers and minced lox and THAT'S a schmear any bagel would covet!

That's too funny. It sounds kinda good though! My MIL actually taught me to make tartar sauce. And I was astounded at how easy it was, and how adaptable, and bit doubtful until I tried it for myself… Equal parts mayo and sour cream, finely chopped yellow onion and finely chopped kosher dill pickle. "That's it?" I hear you all say. Yes add in some minced capers and minced lox and THAT'S a schmear any bagel would covet!

You haven't lived until you try roasted garlic tartar sauce!:yum:

Roasted garlic tartar sauce

+/- 1/2 cup roasted garlic cloves (about 2 medium heads)
1-1/2 cups mayo
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon fine diced onion
1 tablespoon fine diced red bell
1 tablespoon fine diced green bell
1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
2 tablespoons white wine
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper

The taco salad was probably a childhood favorite of Mark's that has become a comfort food.

I think pretty much all families have their quirky recipes. My mother used to make 1000 island dressing with mayo and whatever BBQ sauce was in the house.

Back
Top Bottom