"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2017, 07:38 AM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
I did get a hug. You gotta choose your battles, right? LOL

Yes you do...

My son dated a young lady who insisted that she make us the very best dip, which would be perfect for our pre-Christmas dinner munchies.. (we always pigged out on stuff before dinner )
I, eagerly asked her to make the dip for us.. She unwrapped a block of cream cheese and poured half a bottle of seafood cocktail sauce over it.. TA DA!!!

I hugged her and winked at my son...

Ross

Old 10-04-2017, 04:59 AM   #32
Assistant Cook

If that's what you'd take, thats what I'd bring I love fruit and cheese! And melon wrapped in prosciutto. Or a warmed Brie or Camembert spread with pepper jelly. DANG! That would have been a nice addition! But no. I think I made the most diplomatic choice. It was good for Mark, too. He enjoyed his mom's salad, and it was about togetherness instead of my cooking. Win/win. But I'm making up a fruit and cheese plate tomorrow. For myself!

Old 10-04-2017, 05:09 AM   #33
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
Yes you do...

My son dated a young lady who insisted that she make us the very best dip, which would be perfect for our pre-Christmas dinner munchies.. (we always pigged out on stuff before dinner )
I, eagerly asked her to make the dip for us.. She unwrapped a block of cream cheese and poured half a bottle of seafood cocktail sauce over it.. TA DA!!!

I hugged her and winked at my son...

Ross
That's too funny. It sounds kinda good though! My MIL actually taught me to make tartar sauce. And I was astounded at how easy it was, and how adaptable, and bit doubtful until I tried it for myself… Equal parts mayo and sour cream, finely chopped yellow onion and finely chopped kosher dill pickle. "That's it?" I hear you all say. Yes add in some minced capers and minced lox and THAT'S a schmear any bagel would covet!
Old 10-05-2017, 05:34 AM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
That's too funny. It sounds kinda good though! My MIL actually taught me to make tartar sauce. And I was astounded at how easy it was, and how adaptable, and bit doubtful until I tried it for myself… Equal parts mayo and sour cream, finely chopped yellow onion and finely chopped kosher dill pickle. "That's it?" I hear you all say. Yes add in some minced capers and minced lox and THAT'S a schmear any bagel would covet!
You haven't lived until you try roasted garlic tartar sauce!

Roasted garlic tartar sauce

+/- 1/2 cup roasted garlic cloves (about 2 medium heads)
1-1/2 cups mayo
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon fine diced onion
1 tablespoon fine diced red bell
1 tablespoon fine diced green bell
1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
2 tablespoons white wine
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper

Old 10-05-2017, 06:19 AM   #35
Executive Chef

The taco salad was probably a childhood favorite of Mark's that has become a comfort food.

I think pretty much all families have their quirky recipes. My mother used to make 1000 island dressing with mayo and whatever BBQ sauce was in the house.

Tags
lunch, other