Lunch with mother-in-law

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
We're going to my mother-in-law's house for lunch on Saturday. She's making her "famous" (according to my husband) taco salad and I am tasked with bringing a side dish to complement the meal. No guacamole recipes or salsa recipes, please, I need something to IMPRESS! Maybe ceviche? What goes with a low-rent entree like taco salad?

Ceviche is high-risk, IMO. People love it or hate it.

I agree with Aunt Bea on one of those cakes, or some flan for dessert.

CD

Perhaps I was a bit harsh with the "low-rent" comment, and I'm sure Rose's is delicious. It just seems to me, and yes I AM a bit of a snob, that throwing some lettuce, cheese, ground beef and taco sauce isn't exactly a gourmet dish.

LOL, not trying to one-up her, just trying to make a good impression. My sole bond with Rose is food, (well, and my husband, of course), so that's kind of how we communicate. I can't talk religion, politics or LGBT stuff with her, so we talk about pork. Or beef. Or bread. Or whatever else you can put in your mouth that's not connected to a live body!

LOL, not trying to one-up her, just trying to make a good impression. My sole bond with Rose is food, (well, and my husband, of course), so that's kind of how we communicate. I can't talk religion, politics or LGBT stuff with her, so we talk about pork. Or beef. Or bread. Or whatever else you can put in your mouth that's not connected to a live body!

Dude, that last sentence is inappropriate.

He said side dish. Don't know if I'd make a dessert without checking with MIL, as technically that's not a side. Not really sure what I'd make as a side either as taco salads can have corn and beans in them. Maybe something with chayotes? We make a vege with sauteed corn and chayote with just a little oregano (or epazote if we have), S and P, but there are lots of other recipes out there. I'd be asking my husband questions about the taco salad since apparently you've never had it.

I apologize sincerely for offending you, and anyone else who read this post and was offended. Sometimes my filter fails and my humor sinks to "wildly inappropriate." I had no intention of offending anyone. Please accept my apology, and I will do my very best not to repeat this poor judgement in future posts.

I'd just make a grilled corn dish. Quick and easy. Grilled corn off the cob, onion, bell pepper, etc.

Oh, and I thought your joke was funny. Inappropriate, maybe. But still funny.

Last edited:
Do something that you can do easily, without spending sleepless nights worrying - something simple, that you KNOW you do well. And take a nice bouquet of flowers as well, or a beautiful plant that's easy maintenance - and be confident in yourself, you're worth it, as that well-known advert says!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Mexican esquites (corn soup) or street corn, chiles rellanos.

Last edited:
I apologize sincerely for offending you, and anyone else who read this post and was offended. Sometimes my filter fails and my humor sinks to "wildly inappropriate." I had no intention of offending anyone. Please accept my apology, and I will do my very best not to repeat this poor judgement in future posts.
Thank you. And welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

Another thought would be Jamaica, a pretty tea made from hibiscus flowers. While not a side dish, it's a very refreshing drink.

Guacamole ( and a bag of good chips)

Cornmeal muffins, some with slivered jalapenos.

My vote leans toward GG's Mexican Street Corn Salad.

Back
Top Bottom