Make Ahead - Timing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I rather think that foxy just means that this discussion has pretty much run its coarse.

Hm. It just seems odd to me to announce that, rather than just not reply again. We don't generally have people decide a discussion is over, unless it's gotten contentious, and then one of the mods does it.

Having family Oct 1st as our Thanksgiving (Oct 10th) is not possible for everyone to come.

I am not making anything traditional as I want to serve it buffet style. With little kids, the parents like to stand over them while they eat. We have found this works perfect for us. I am also going to be super busy the 3 days before and really won't have all that much time in the kitchen... so even thou

I usually do a roast, another main of some sort. I want to get away from the roasts. I think I am going to make Gordon Ramsay's Shepherd Pie, Braised Carrots & Peas with Mint Butter, ... that's pretty much as far as I've gotten.

First question - I would like to make the pie now and freeze it. I'm thinking I have to cook it before freezing because of the potato?? I will be making a 9 X 13 pan for this. Fresh it is cooked for about 20 min. in a 400 oven. How long will it take frozen, or should I take it out of the freezer the night before?

I'm also looking at various salmon pie recipes, with crust not potato topping. Although if someone suggests a potato & sweet potato topping, hmmm.... I have choices here. A (pilsbury) Braid put together with cooked ingredients? A traditional pie plate style? with mushrooms and maybe leeks? But again, I need to make it ahead and freeze. The question is pretty much the same... Either would have to be cooked ahead of course, and reheated from frozen, but it is the timing for reheating frozen things to go along with the Shepherds Pie that I'm trying to figure out.

Suggestions?
When you make shepherd's pie you cook the meat mixture and make the mashed potatoes before assembling the "pie". If freezing you should do so when you have assembled the pie but before baking it off. When the time comes to eat it I would defrost it over night and then bake it off in the oven to serve it hot.

(Incidentally, in its home country shepherd's pie is traditionally made with minced (ie ground) lamb and cottage pie with minced beef. Originally an economic way of using up the remains of the Sunday roast and posibly any left over mashed potatoes but these days is mainly made with fresh/raw meat and mash specially made for the dish. Just thought I'd throw that in. )

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Not sure why people have a problem with freezing mashed potato. If you add the butter and milk/half & half when mashing the spuds and don't let them reduce to glue when mashing (DO NOT "mash" them in a food processor!) they freeze very well

Last edited:
EDIT: Not sure why people have a problem with freezing mashed potato. If you add the butter and milk/half & half when mashing the spuds and don't let them reduce to glue when mashing (DO NOT "mash" them in a food processor!) they freeze very well

Sorry, but freezing does change the texture. I add butter and cream, mash by hand just until smooth and they still changed, and not for the better obviously since we never did it again. Was talking about it and the other 2 think the mashies got gritty, which is what I had originally thought but wasn't sure.

The discussion Fox was referring to was about the canned tuna itself, not its uses, so not really sure why he even mentioned it. And it did get a bit contentious.

The discussion Fox was referring to was about the canned tuna itself, not its uses, so not really sure why he even mentioned it. And it did get a bit contentious.

Oh. I thought he was talking about reheating fish. I didn't see anything contentious about that, just different opinions about it. In any case, if someone doesn't want to comment further, best to just not comment ;) Obviously it can be confusing otherwise.

Why do you feel like you have to retreat? We're just talking about preferences. No one is saying anyone is wrong.

Oh no offense GG, I was just saying that as far as this thread, I think I have made my opinion known, and thus nothing more useful to contribute.

I'm not by any means taking my ball and going home, and regret if I gave the implication. I was just saying on this subject there is some disagreement, my opinion is known, so I don't have, on this topic, anything useful else to say, so I'm gonna move on to other topics.

Not going away. Actually working on an Irish Coddle recipe to post tonight or tomorrow.

Cheers,

TBS

** If freezing you should do so when you have assembled the pie but before baking it off. ** I would defrost it over night and then bake it off in the oven to serve it hot.

(Incidentally, in its home country shepherd's pie is traditionally made with minced (ie ground) lamb and cottage pie with minced beef. Originally an economic way of using up the remains of the Sunday roast and posibly any left over mashed potatoes but these days is mainly made with fresh/raw meat and mash specially made for the dish. Just thought I'd throw that in. )

Hope this helps.

OK ! Perfect I will try your suggestion. It was whether to defrost first or bake from frozen I was having a hard time deciding.

Funny you mention the difference between "Shepherd's Pie" and "Cottage Pie" I often tell people that and I get the strangest looks... what's the problem?? it makes perfect sense!

But also ... an awful lot of recipes on the net have 'chunks' of food and not minced. Which makes sense as I doubt shepherds' carried grinders with them nor did households feel they had to grind up last night leftovers. Don't have a problem with this as 'fresh chunks' would obviously take a lot longer to "stew/braise" and mince is much faster to put the dish together. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom