"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning
Old 08-19-2016, 10:19 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
When I married my first husband, being a pro chef, I was nervous about cooking for him. But he was really good. If I made something that was close to inedible, he would tell me where I went wrong. Otherwise he would eat anything I put in front of him.

My second husband thought I was some sort of angel sent to feed him. His first wife only cooked from the freezer. TV dinners, pot pies, etc. No wonder he loved eating in the mess hall. (He was in the service at the time.) He told me one day he hated powdered eggs. It just so happened that a neighbor gave me a bag, and I used it for all my coating recipes. You know, flour, egg, breadcrumbs. I never told, he never knew. Then one day I was wondering just what did powdered eggs taste like. So I made myself just enough scrambled eggs equal to one egg according to directions. I put butter on them and made them with milk instead of the water called for. Then hubby came in and thought I had made it for him. So I let him eat it. He thought it was wonderful. The next day I told him the truth. He changed his mind about powdered eggs.

Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:36 PM   #22
Master Chef
DH likes liver and onions. I can't swallow liver. Texture thing it kind of stuck in my throat going down and I have to "get rid of it" fast. That's the only thing he likes that I refuse to cook. When we married he hated anything with pepper. Black, green, red, yellow was a no-go. Anything spicy hot was off the table also. He's gotten better. I can use them in recipes if they are diced fine enough that they get the flavor without the chunks. He loves onions. I can tolerate them but often raw onions upset my stomach. I love mushrooms, he can't stand them. I can sneak Campbell's cream of mushroom soup into some recipes. I'll sometimes make sauteed onions in one pan and sauteed mushrooms in another for on top of steaks and burgers. In general, he eats what I cook now. There's rarely a time when I cook different meals for us.

I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:53 PM   #23
Senior Cook
He get beans on toast and so does my daughter and I eat tuna salad, that happens from time to time. And sometimes the other ways around, me and little one eats something we like and he gets a different meal. Since I am so intolerant to things that are main in many lovely dishes, I tend to cook differently for me and them most of the time.
For the love of Cheese!
CakePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:00 PM   #24
Executive Chef
I cook for my gf all of the time. I do pretty much all of the cooking and she knows I enjoy it. Sometimes I can't decide what to make so she suggests things that she likes, so I oblige, happily..I'll eat just about anything so, I don't mind eating what she wants from time to time even though it's not something I would ever make for myself...
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:08 PM   #25
Senior Cook
My exhusband was stubborn eater, any thing I cooked except when we had guest sucked.. didnt matter if I made to his wish. So my current has no say in how food is prepared , he gets to eat what I know he will like or might like.
For the love of Cheese!
CakePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:11 PM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef
We accommodate differences in our partners in many different areas. Cooking is just one of them.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:42 PM   #27
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Yes, I buy and cook those things for Shrek that I do not like. I also buy things I like and he doesn't. I don't eat what I don't like and neither does he. Most days I make two separate meals.
Fiona, that's so cool, I call my husband Shrek too.

Kathy Lee is offline   Reply With Quote