"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 08-18-2016, 08:33 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Menu planning for love sake

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
Have you ever roasted the brussel sprouts? SIL didn't think he liked brussel sprouts until I roasted them with EVOO and garlic. Now I have to make an extra large quantity of them when he's over. I have another story about a friend who politely took some brussel sprouts and was floored at how good they are if they aren't overcooked.

No Brussels sprouts. I do not like them Sam I Am. I've had them every way I can (cam). They're icky yucky every day. They're horrid awful every way. Roasted, baked, marinated, they should just be compostated. (a tip of the hat to Dr. Seuss).

You are certainly welcome to my share, Tenspeed!

Old 08-18-2016, 08:35 PM   #12
Wine Guy

Well, I live by myself.... so no. I eat what I want. It's actually refreshing for a change to be able to eat mushrooms, fish, eggs, and sauerkraut without having to worry what others in the house might think.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:01 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Can't eat hot stuff anymore.

But I don't mind too much, I'd much rather have DH eat dinner with me and be happy.

I remember bought kimchee one day (when he wasn't dear hubby) and he asked me what died in here.

The smell must've lingered from the bag to the fridge or he could smell it through the fridge. Yikes. I'm so used to it, I didn't know what he was talking about.

We compromise because 99% of the time I pick where we go out to eat. And he's been a champ about eating at ethnic places.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:02 PM   #14
Head Chef

I hear you Steve. When we were growing up, dad would only eat meat and potatoes, so when he worked 2nd shift, we all enjoyed our food and all the new things mom tried to make. If we made anything 'new', there was a gallon and 1/2 of complaining on dad's part.

Maybe it's just me. If you asked me, did you see the person in the red shirt, I won't have a clue who you are talking about. I can't remember what people wear, I never could.

I can remember everyone's favorite dish, or favorite dessert, or comfort food, or favorite candy, or what they often crave. I bet I could list 20 people I know and I'd know the answer to at least one of the favorites for each one. This goes back at least 30 years, so maybe I could do this for 30-40 people I've known. It's surely a bizarre talent to have.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:16 PM   #15
Master Chef

What a good idea for a thread, bliss! I'm in Steve's camp - I live alone and cook for myself 99% of the time so I do whatever I dang well please.

When family comes over, I have to be careful because one doesn't like celery, another hates onions, no one likes mushrooms, most of them must have at least med well to well done steaks , few of them like tomatoes....it's tough for a family get together over here. But, it's doable with a little thought and the best thing is getting together. LOL
Old 08-18-2016, 09:43 PM   #16
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
When I lived alone, I was young and honestly didn't have much money.
So if you looked in my `fridge, you'd find:
Eggs
Rice (already cooked, ready to be reheated)
Beer
Water
... that's it

DH, well, when I first met him as a confirmed bachelor and had in his `fridge:
Beer
Water
Coffee Beans for grinding the morning
.. that's it
at least I had SOMETHING to eat
Old 08-18-2016, 10:00 PM   #17
Head Chef

I once forgot what foods my mom was allergic to, and she's invited herself over expecting me to feed her, and I told her all I had was tuna, so I could make tuna sandwiches, she accused me of trying to kill her. (she was serious too) I think this is where I started to memorize what people liked or could not have. I'm guessing I need a therapist to uncover what is really going on here. ;)
ha

My son and I made gnocchi for the first time, we used to cook together, it was such fun. He and I called them, 'pillows of love'.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:15 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I cook what I cook. If DH doesn't like it, well, there's always peanut butter and jelly or Cheerios.
+1
I shop. I prep. I cook. I clean up. I wash the pots/pans. I run the dishwasher. I put the clean dishes away. Himself takes the garbage out...sometimes grudgingly. I'll be danged if I worry whether or not he's getting his "special" meal. What is special about his plate some days is that I haven't slipped in a little something to hasten him meeting his Maker. Just kidding!!!

Actually, I do get sushi for him when I'm shopping the store with the in-house sushi "chef". I do pick up things he likes that would never find a place on my plate. But to go out of the way to cook a meal, or to adapt something before I can pull out my portion? Nope. That being said, I have been able to drag him along on culinary adventures as I've expanded my cooking beyond the basic Polish cooking I learned from my Mom and Nanna as I was growing up. I'm really lucky. He doesn't complain when I feed him something he says is "meh". He doesn't ask me to make things I do not want to cook. He's pretty easy to please.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:48 AM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yes, I buy and cook those things for Shrek that I do not like. I also buy things I like and he doesn't. I don't eat what I don't like and neither does he. Most days I make two separate meals.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:07 AM   #20
Head Chef

We make things that 1 of us likes way more than the other, especially for Birthday meals, even just because sometimes. Both of us are fairly adventurous eaters though so none of the favorites of one, not so much the other, are meals that won't be eaten at least for that dinner even if leftovers won't be touched by the not so much other.

Tags
menu