"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning
Old 05-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #11
Head Chef
Sausage,peppers and onion on Italian bread. I cook the sausage in cast iron pan or a paninni press. Saute the peppers and onion with some garlic,add to make a sandwhich. Potatoes are an option.

salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
Executive Chef
We brown and add them as well as some hot sausage, chicken, neck ribs, and 3/4" sized meatballs to some of our tomato based pasta sauce.

justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
Master Chef
Sausage onion and pepper in a sub roll!!!

My Fenway park go-to
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I would brown them, crumble, and use in spaghetti sauce or lasagna. They freeze well too, both cooked or uncooked. You might also mix with regular burger, make into patties, and grill or fry.
Or skin them and make them into little meatballs to have with tomato based sauce and pasta?
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:13 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Or skin them and make them into little meatballs to have with tomato based sauce and pasta?
That is how Jamie Oliver does them in one of his Italian recipes, it is delicious
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #16
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
They are the protein in one of my Lazy Lady dinners. I cut them up into bite-size pieces. I also cut up onion, assorted colored peppers - usually green and whatever is on sale of the red/orange/yellow bells - potatoes and, sometimes, zucchini, and mix with some olive oil and more Italian seasonings. Toss into a large roasting pan so that everything in one layer deep and roast at 400 degrees for 40 minutes, turning once. While it's roasting you have time to toss a salad. Or open a bottle of wine.

We also do the sandwich thing like Kayelle suggested.
That veramente italiano
Don't trust the news media
scotty71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #17
Executive Chef
Roman Style Cauliflower

1/4 cup olive oil
1 carrot peeled and finely chopped
1 large onion finely chopped
1-2 garlic cloves crushed
1/4 lb Italian mild sausage, casings removed and meat crumbled
1 stalk celery finely chopped
1 large bay leaf
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 large cauliflower (about 2 lbs)
water for steaming
salt & pepper

Heat a large skillet over low heat. Add oil and heat until fragrant. Add carrot, onion, garlic and sausage. Stirring occasionally, cook until onion is soft but not browned. Add celery, bay leaf and tomato paste, cook until carrot is soft, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cover.

Discarding outer leaves, cut cauliflower into large flowerets. Steam cauliflower until tender, drain and set aside. Reheat onion mixture, adding 2-3 Tbsps of water to "loosen" it up if needed. When bubbling add the cauliflower, salt and pepper to taste, heat through and serve.
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #18
YUMMY-- I cant take all this good food --ill just have to un subscribe from this thread
Don't trust the news media
scotty71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #19
Head Chef
To add to Craig's recipe since I cooked it and ad libbed a bit from the recipe that he didn't know about, I added beef broth while the sausage mixture was cooking, probably close to a cup all told since I added it along as it cooked down and got too thick, probably cooked the sausage mixture about half an hour in total and it was a loose gravy consistency. We also used a half-and-half mixture of hot and mild sausage since that is what was in the freezer, more like a pound than 1/4 pound since the original recipe was supposed to be a side dish and not a main, which is what we used it as. It was yummy and no practically empty carbs and calories from pasta.

medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote