Mild Italian Sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessica_Morris

Senior Cook
Bought some mild italian sausage and looking for some recipes of how to cook them. Never cooked them before so have no idea of what is good with them.

Thanks in advance!

I would brown them, crumble, and use in spaghetti sauce or lasagna. They freeze well too, both cooked or uncooked. You might also mix with regular burger, make into patties, and grill or fry.

Last edited:
In addition to Dawgs ideas, you could make great sandwiches with them. Brown them in a pan with a little oil, then add a small amount of water and cover till they are cooked though. Remove them and keep warm, and fry up some bell pepper and onion to top the sausages and serve on hoagie rolls with pizza sauce and melted mozzarella. Good eats....:yum:;)

A breakfast idea-- remove sausage from casings, crumble and cook with some diced onion, mushrooms, anything else you like, such as diced leftover potatoes, or peppers. Cook until everything is browned. Then scramble some eggs and combine the sausage mixture into the eggs just before they are done cooking. Or serve fried taters separate. Or add some shredded cheese on top.

Most often I use Italian sausage crumbled and combined in spaghetti type sauce. I have had them grilled and brushed with a mild bbq sauce which may be an odd thing to do with Italian sausage. I guess no more odd and probably better looking than a breakfast scramble.

I like them cooked on top of white beans, cassoulet style.

Or baked with pasta, pesto & assorted veggies.

With eggs! I generally make a fritatta on the weekends to use for lunches during the week & sausage makes an appearance in them quite often.

Chop up a couple potatoes, some bell peppers and an onion and bake until about half-way done. Put the sausages on top of the veggies and continue baking until everything is cooked through.

They are lovely in an Italian sausage carbonara, or thrown into a pasta dish that is tomato based :)

They are the protein in one of my Lazy Lady dinners. I cut them up into bite-size pieces. I also cut up onion, assorted colored peppers - usually green and whatever is on sale of the red/orange/yellow bells - potatoes and, sometimes, zucchini, and mix with some olive oil and more Italian seasonings. Toss into a large roasting pan so that everything in one layer deep and roast at 400 degrees for 40 minutes, turning once. While it's roasting you have time to toss a salad. Or open a bottle of wine. ;)

We also do the sandwich thing like Kayelle suggested.

We use them in a pasta recipe. Slice about a pound of sausages (leave skin on or take off as you prefer) in about 3/4 inch thick slices and brown in a large skillet with just a touch of olive oil so they don't stick until they start giving off fat. Then add chopped onion in the amount you like and saute until translucent, throw in some chopped garlic toward the end of the onion cooking, then 8 oz crimini mushrooms halved or quartered (again depending on size) and saute until about half-way done, add some dried basil and saute for a minute or so add a 14.5 oz can of stewed tomatoes (2 cans if you want a bunch of tomatoes and sauce) with juice and some beef broth if there's not enough tomato juice to keep it nice and moist/saucy and simmer for about 10 minutes to make sure sausage is done all the way thru. Then, quarter or halve 2-3 zucchinis (depending on size) and cook covered until zucchini are crisp tender. Serve over shape pasta, we usually use rotelli or penne. Add parm on top if you want when you serve.

If you want to add some spice, you can throw in some red pepper flakes when you add the basil if you find the mild too boring. We just usually use a combo of hot and mild sausage.

A quick and easy meal to throw together when you are tired or in a hurry. You can wash the veges before you start and then do all the chopping for the next ingredient while waiting for the previous to cook.

Last edited:
Links are excellent smoked. We often served sliced smoked italian sausage in pasta dishes. I usually throw a pound of links on the smoker with the main course when I fire it up.

This is good info. My husband loves Italian sausage but I'm kind of lost when cooking it, probably because I don't like them, the fennel seed is not for me. It's tough to cook something you don't like to eat.

Sausage,peppers and onion on Italian bread. I cook the sausage in cast iron pan or a paninni press. Saute the peppers and onion with some garlic,add to make a sandwhich. Potatoes are an option.

I would brown them, crumble, and use in spaghetti sauce or lasagna. They freeze well too, both cooked or uncooked. You might also mix with regular burger, make into patties, and grill or fry.
Or skin them and make them into little meatballs to have with tomato based sauce and pasta?

They are the protein in one of my Lazy Lady dinners. I cut them up into bite-size pieces. I also cut up onion, assorted colored peppers - usually green and whatever is on sale of the red/orange/yellow bells - potatoes and, sometimes, zucchini, and mix with some olive oil and more Italian seasonings. Toss into a large roasting pan so that everything in one layer deep and roast at 400 degrees for 40 minutes, turning once. While it's roasting you have time to toss a salad. Or open a bottle of wine. ;)

We also do the sandwich thing like Kayelle suggested.

That veramente italiano:chef:

Roman Style Cauliflower

Ingredients
1/4 cup olive oil
1 carrot peeled and finely chopped
1 large onion finely chopped
1-2 garlic cloves crushed
1/4 lb Italian mild sausage, casings removed and meat crumbled
1 stalk celery finely chopped
1 large bay leaf
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 large cauliflower (about 2 lbs)
water for steaming
salt & pepper

Heat a large skillet over low heat. Add oil and heat until fragrant. Add carrot, onion, garlic and sausage. Stirring occasionally, cook until onion is soft but not browned. Add celery, bay leaf and tomato paste, cook until carrot is soft, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cover.

Discarding outer leaves, cut cauliflower into large flowerets. Steam cauliflower until tender, drain and set aside. Reheat onion mixture, adding 2-3 Tbsps of water to "loosen" it up if needed. When bubbling add the cauliflower, salt and pepper to taste, heat through and serve.:yum:

To add to Craig's recipe since I cooked it and ad libbed a bit from the recipe that he didn't know about, I added beef broth while the sausage mixture was cooking, probably close to a cup all told since I added it along as it cooked down and got too thick, probably cooked the sausage mixture about half an hour in total and it was a loose gravy consistency. We also used a half-and-half mixture of hot and mild sausage since that is what was in the freezer, more like a pound than 1/4 pound since the original recipe was supposed to be a side dish and not a main, which is what we used it as. It was yummy and no practically empty carbs and calories from pasta.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom