"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning
Old 05-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
Senior Cook
Mild Italian Sausage

Bought some mild italian sausage and looking for some recipes of how to cook them. Never cooked them before so have no idea of what is good with them.

Thanks in advance!

Jessica_Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
I would brown them, crumble, and use in spaghetti sauce or lasagna. They freeze well too, both cooked or uncooked. You might also mix with regular burger, make into patties, and grill or fry.

She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
Master Chef
In addition to Dawgs ideas, you could make great sandwiches with them. Brown them in a pan with a little oil, then add a small amount of water and cover till they are cooked though. Remove them and keep warm, and fry up some bell pepper and onion to top the sausages and serve on hoagie rolls with pizza sauce and melted mozzarella. Good eats....
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
Executive Chef
A breakfast idea-- remove sausage from casings, crumble and cook with some diced onion, mushrooms, anything else you like, such as diced leftover potatoes, or peppers. Cook until everything is browned. Then scramble some eggs and combine the sausage mixture into the eggs just before they are done cooking. Or serve fried taters separate. Or add some shredded cheese on top.

Most often I use Italian sausage crumbled and combined in spaghetti type sauce. I have had them grilled and brushed with a mild bbq sauce which may be an odd thing to do with Italian sausage. I guess no more odd and probably better looking than a breakfast scramble.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
Head Chef
I like them cooked on top of white beans, cassoulet style.

Or baked with pasta, pesto & assorted veggies.

With eggs! I generally make a fritatta on the weekends to use for lunches during the week & sausage makes an appearance in them quite often.

Chop up a couple potatoes, some bell peppers and an onion and bake until about half-way done. Put the sausages on top of the veggies and continue baking until everything is cooked through.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:18 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
They are lovely in an Italian sausage carbonara, or thrown into a pasta dish that is tomato based
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:49 AM   #7
Master Chef
They are the protein in one of my Lazy Lady dinners. I cut them up into bite-size pieces. I also cut up onion, assorted colored peppers - usually green and whatever is on sale of the red/orange/yellow bells - potatoes and, sometimes, zucchini, and mix with some olive oil and more Italian seasonings. Toss into a large roasting pan so that everything in one layer deep and roast at 400 degrees for 40 minutes, turning once. While it's roasting you have time to toss a salad. Or open a bottle of wine.

We also do the sandwich thing like Kayelle suggested.
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #8
Head Chef
We use them in a pasta recipe. Slice about a pound of sausages (leave skin on or take off as you prefer) in about 3/4 inch thick slices and brown in a large skillet with just a touch of olive oil so they don't stick until they start giving off fat. Then add chopped onion in the amount you like and saute until translucent, throw in some chopped garlic toward the end of the onion cooking, then 8 oz crimini mushrooms halved or quartered (again depending on size) and saute until about half-way done, add some dried basil and saute for a minute or so add a 14.5 oz can of stewed tomatoes (2 cans if you want a bunch of tomatoes and sauce) with juice and some beef broth if there's not enough tomato juice to keep it nice and moist/saucy and simmer for about 10 minutes to make sure sausage is done all the way thru. Then, quarter or halve 2-3 zucchinis (depending on size) and cook covered until zucchini are crisp tender. Serve over shape pasta, we usually use rotelli or penne. Add parm on top if you want when you serve.

If you want to add some spice, you can throw in some red pepper flakes when you add the basil if you find the mild too boring. We just usually use a combo of hot and mild sausage.

A quick and easy meal to throw together when you are tired or in a hurry. You can wash the veges before you start and then do all the chopping for the next ingredient while waiting for the previous to cook.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
Admiral of the Texas Navy
Links are excellent smoked. We often served sliced smoked italian sausage in pasta dishes. I usually throw a pound of links on the smoker with the main course when I fire it up.

"I must say as to what I have seen of Texas it is the garden spot of the world. The best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here."
Davy Crockett, 1836
forty_caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #10
Senior Cook
This is good info. My husband loves Italian sausage but I'm kind of lost when cooking it, probably because I don't like them, the fennel seed is not for me. It's tough to cook something you don't like to eat.

DebLynn is offline   Reply With Quote