"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2017, 02:39 AM   #1
Head Chef

Monthly menu!

Is there any one else who is on a fixed budget and do monthly menus?

Well here is my menu for the month, I have four days over Easter where we are not eating at home, I have set aside money for this. I sort of know what menu will be. Kassler is a warm smoked whole row of pork chop ( I dont know what that part is called when it isnt chopped up) and falukorv is a Swedish sausage, it is used instead of whole meat in dishes. It thick and is served sliced, not whole and there is a ton of recipe out there.

Monday:
Swedish meatballs with potatoes, sauce and lingon.
Mince and tatties.
Salisbury steak meatballs with gravy.
Chili in cornbread bowls.

Tuesday:
Kassler fried rice:
Pasta with kassler sauce
Kassler potato bake
Pizza Kassler bake with rice.

Wenseday:
Fried falukorv with pasta
Falukorv stew with potatoes
Korvstroganoff with rice
Fried falukorv and potatotes in milk sauce
Thursday;
Korean beef with rice
Spag bowl
Jamacian beef patties with a green salad

Friday.
Pork tortillas
Pizza
All that we like but no one else does.

Saturday:
Indian butter chicken with rice
Smothered asiago bacon wine chicken with pasta.
Supreme chattanaid chicken

Sunday:
Pork and carrot stew with potatoes.
Pork shish kebabs ala Freja with Spanish rice salad ( not Spanish at all but, well that is what the 70:ties cook book calls it)
Grandfather's beer stew .

Old 03-30-2017, 02:48 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

It is called a pork rib roast.

https://www.google.com/search?source...s_rd=ssl#spf=1

For special days we will have the butcher tie two full ribs roasts together, to form a hollow space in the middle. That is usually filled with some sort of stuffing or other family favorite.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:06 AM   #3
Head Chef

Nice, well this is apparently similar to Canadian bacon according to one site, it cost me 4 USD per kilo and for me that is cheap. The falukorv cost me the same for 1.6 kilos.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:18 AM   #4
Master Chef

We do weekly planning. Never know when we might run across a recipe or get an inspiration to make something. Waiting for next week to put it on the list is fine, waiting a month is too long.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:26 AM   #5
Executive Chef

We also ( or I guess I should say "I" not "We", since Im in charge of cooking) do a weekly menu.

For me whats on the menu is more based on my work schedule ( am I off and can cook, or does it need to be prepared ahead of time , and just reheated). There are 4 days I can cook. 1 of them we usually either go out or take in, the other 3 days are my cooking days where I prepare food for that evening , and preprepared food for days I won't be able to cook.

Occasionally there are surprises that i come across while food shopping, and they may bump one of the other meals off the list.

On Occasion, we have a ' left over night'. If i see the fridge not emptying as quick as it should, and if its a late night where I can't cook, we may just try to use up what on hand to avoid waste.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:01 AM   #6
Head Chef

CraigC: I dont have the money to just wing it and we get paid once a month and I go with my neighbor in for her monthly shopping, so that is the only time I have a car. So I base all my meat around what is cheap at that moment, this time it was stew pork, chicken, ground meat, kassler and falukorv. Everything is frozen into portion size.

Larry_stewart: Going out is at moment to expensive and also there is no restaurant in my village, there will be one next month.

I use up everything, since I am poor I believe in eat up what I cook. Stews that are less then a portion is saved in the freezer for left over rolls, which becomes my husband lunches.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:24 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
When Buck and I moved to Kentucky we lived in an area that was quite rural. The nearest grocery store of any size was about an hour away, plus we were running our store-front business. These two factors made it nearly impossible to shop more often than once per month. More than that was a luxury.

What I began doing was making "skeleton" monthly menus with the aid of blank calendar pages I found on the Internet.

I'd target the month, add small numbers for the date and write in the initials for the days of the week.

Once I did that, I began by noting "fish/seafood, poultry, beef, pork, meatless, leftovers" in the blocks. These are only six categories and, occasionally, our days would be bumped because of being out for something, having someone bring us a treat, etc.

It worked for all the years until he died. This method gave me the opportunity to go through my "to try" recipes and target them to enjoy.

When I checked the marketing ads, I could compare what was on sale to what I'd sketched in on the calendar and be able to take advantage of specials.

I haven't applied to the monthly menu system for quite a while for assorted reasons. Not the least of which is that both Glenn and I are retired and our schedules are very irregular. However, I do pick up a few weekly specials at the grocery store. One of the nicest luxury to living where I live now is that I can shop weekly. The (multiple) grocery stores are only about 15 minutes away
Old 03-30-2017, 09:38 AM   #8
Head Chef

I have 15 minutes by train and bus to the stores, yes small shopping I can do my self, but anything large and heavy is too much. So it is nice to have neighbours who help out. We have a local store, it is a bit more expensive then in town when they do speacials on meat, I buy . The stew pork was from them, the lady knows how I like it and does it perfectly for me.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:58 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

No I only do weekly menus and then stray off them when we want to eat out or have friends over

And pretty often we do a daily menu and I stop at the store or the farmers market on the way home and cook what I bought
Old 03-30-2017, 10:03 AM   #10
Head Chef

When we were both working and the nearest store was 15 minutes away, I had to plan the weekly menus so we could shop on weekends. Now that we're both retired and live in an area with several stores within 3 miles, I usually don't plan more than 2 days meals, if not daily. If I go any direction I'll be driving by a grocery store. Today is a rarity, as I planned 3 days meals due to a snowstorm predicted for tomorrow (hurry, spring!). I can ride somewhere around 8 months of the year, and the stores are only 10 minutes away by bike.

tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
menu