"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 08-27-2016, 05:36 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

In case you want to try sausages a new way, this has become one of our favorite summer dinners:

- Grilled Bratwurst With Beer, Mustard, and Sauerkraut Recipe | Serious Eats (This can be done in a pot on the stovetop, then brown the sausages under the broiler/grill)
- Mustard Aioli Grilled Potatoes with Fine Herbs Recipe : Bobby Flay : Food Network (grilling the potatoes is optional but delicious. Use any mix of herbs you like)

Old 08-27-2016, 06:18 PM   #12
Master Chef

Those are some helpful and good looking recipes there GG.

CP, if you really want to get your cooking mojo back, I suggest inspiration along with pictures can be found at the nightly dinner thread where people are actually cooking every day. You can read the archive of all the past nightly posts here..

Today's Menu - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:26 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Those are some helpful and good looking recipes there GG.

CP, if you really want to get your cooking mojo back, I suggest inspiration along with pictures can be found at the nightly dinner thread where people are actually cooking every day. You can read the archive of all the past nightly posts here..

Today's Menu - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums
Thanks, Kayelle. The daily dinner thread is a great idea
Old 08-28-2016, 01:31 AM   #14
Sous Chef

I do have a crock pot which my husband gave me as morning gift after the wedding night, normal people get jewelry I get a crock pot.

Some the recipe posted had mixes and some had citrus, yes green curry has citrus and it sucks since I love it. But I have found some good recipe and the pulled pork sounds lovely.

Any more ideas?

I been looking at the daily menu thread but bit hard when I am bordering on depression but I am trying.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:21 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
I do have a crock pot which my husband gave me as morning gift after the wedding night, normal people get jewelry I get a crock pot.

Some the recipe posted had mixes and some had citrus, yes green curry has citrus and it sucks since I love it. But I have found some good recipe and the pulled pork sounds lovely.

Any more ideas?

I been looking at the daily menu thread but bit hard when I am bordering on depression but I am trying.
Hi CakePoet.

I second Kayelle's suggestion of hanging around here and going through the daily menu threads. A lot of us here get pretty excited about seeing what others are having for dinner and get a lot of inspiration from those posts.

Several folks here have offered suggestions of what has worked for them, and provided links to some great sounding recipes. Finding what works for you and your family isn't going to be an overnight fix, but a process. And it can be a lot of fun!

(I hope you're considering getting medical help for depression - that's certainly not anything to mess with....)
Old 08-28-2016, 02:26 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Most people here seams to have a good sense of taste, it not like the Swedish forum I help at that thinks potato salad and lentil curry is a lovely meal.

So if you like it, there is a big chance we find something new and yummy.

But the main problem is I need to set a menu now, since I am on fixed budget and I need to at least know we have food for one month.

I have help but I am not there yet and since I have the motivation of trying to turning around my doctor thinks I can do it with no meds.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:24 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I just wing it. I cook a roast beef on Sunday, the leftovers are used for sandwiches (hot and cold), and then what is still leftover is used for a quick stir fry. I pull chicken breasts out of the freezer, those are cut up for chicken fingers and I will cook a pan of breasts to make sandwiches, etc. A salmon fillet leftover is used to make a salad where I use summer greens, topped with the salmon and an avocado dressing. Pull a pork roast out of the freezer and then use the leftovers to make Spanish rice and then use the leftovers from the Spanish rice to make burritos. I just wing it. Whatever I can pull out of the freezer, pantry, and crisper flies for me.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:39 AM   #18
Sous Chef

That what I been doing for 2 month and well it is getting boring because I made same dishes over and over again. Left overs goes in to boxes so my husband have lunch at work and the little that is left is for me to make something for my lunch.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post

Any more ideas?

Maybe we're not communicating well. As far as I can tell, only one of the recipes I posted had a seasoning mix and it was homemade. When you said no mixes, I thought you meant no store-bought mixes. Is that not right?

You can leave the lime out of the dishes that use it. It's a garnish, not an integral part of the dish.

Have you thought about talking to your doctor about how you've been feeling? He or she might be able to help.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:45 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

If you can get kaffir lime leaves, you can get lime flavor in a marinade without citrus. You can also use lemongrass, lemon balm or thyme, tamarind paste, sumac, and, in some cases, various types of vinegar to replace citrus.

Tags
menu