"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 08-28-2016, 12:05 PM   #31
Sous Chef

And we do love salmon, it just that at the moment, that is too expensive however if I get a good deal, I will add that in. I buy fish at the fish monger not the weird frozen pieces I can find in my price range. I was pondering to make fish and chips.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:47 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

I love fish and chips, but I don't love deep-frying Another way to make crispy fish is to dredge it in heavily seasoned flour and pan-fry. Any mild white fish will work. Season with salt and pepper, dried basil and a little cayenne. Or any number of other seasonings.

I kind of collect Penzeys seasoning blends I don't imagine you can get them there, but you can look at the blend ingredients and get ideas for making your own.
http://penzeys.com

Old 08-28-2016, 12:52 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Monthy Menu help, please

I have had great success with dipping chicken strips in plain yogurt, then shaking them in a ziplock bag of seasoned panko bread crumbs. Then I bake them on a sheet pan. Nice and crunchy. Mix up some honey mustard for dipping.

Might work for fish as well.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:02 PM   #34
Sous Chef

Oh I do not like deep fried stuff, dislikes most fries but that is one of the few things my tummy do like. So I do a lovely beer butter wolf fish with fries or roasties and enjoy it.

Oh I seen the Penzey, up at the weird store, it has a lot of candy and foreign stuff, I think they had Mural spice, Chicago and fox point. I think I should go there again.

Dawg, that reminds me of the nacho chicken I used to do, I think I put that on the list.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:07 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
Oh I do not like deep fried stuff, dislikes most fries but that is one of the few things my tummy do like. So I do a lovely beer butter wolf fish with fries or roasties and enjoy it.

Oh I seen the Penzey, up at the weird store, it has a lot of candy and foreign stuff, I think they had Mural spice, Chicago and fox point. I think I should go there again.

Dawg, that reminds me of the nacho chicken I used to do, I think I put that on the list.
The weird store? Funny. Yes, Mural of Flavor and Fox Point are two of my favorite seasonings! Sprinkle them on fish, chicken or pork and pan-fry. Fox Point is great on roasted potatoes, too.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:13 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Monthy Menu help, please

CP, get on Penzey's website. Not only do they have great spices and blends, they also have some nice recipes. I too love Mural and Fox Point. And like GG, I have quite a collection of their other stuff.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:21 PM   #37
Sous Chef

yeah the weird store, it sort of candy and American/ British/ Aussie / Canadian food and mixed with stuff from Balkan from time to time and in the back, there is special deals of clothes, diapers and God knows what.

I have a look, I have two chicken dishes left to find, thanks to you all I did find stuff to make.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:31 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Sounds like a fun store! If you have a chance, Canadian candy is to die for. Grab some McIntosh toffee, Coffee Crisp and Aero chocolate bars.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:43 PM   #39
Sous Chef

I have had those, but that is due to husband being British. Is there any different between Uk version and CA?
Old 08-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Monthy Menu help, please

Not sure. I didn't eat candy when I was in UK many eons ago, but it might be similar.

Tags
menu