"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 08-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
There's two ways to go on this:

1. A box of Kraft Mac & Cheese Dinner (it's a larger box) to which I add shredded Parmesan cheese, shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese, and a couple of tablespoons of cream. Then I add broccoli florets and gently fold it all together. Pour into a greased baking dish and top with slivered or shaved almonds. Bake until golden brown and bubbly.

2. Same as above except use plain elbow macaroni, velvetta cheese and milk to make a basic mac & cheese casserole, then add the extra stuff I outlined above (cheeses, cream, almonds.)

I'd go with an asparagus salad on the side.

What you chose to do, have fun!!!
*Sigh* I think Kraft cheapened its boxed mac and cheese ingredients. It was a staple for many on a budget way back (poor students and up and comers). I tried cooking some recently and it was lacking that good cheap orangey chessi-ness I used to enjoy. Rather bland now.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Boy, after spending the day thinking about this and about which ingredients to scoop up for the event, I discovered there are about as many recipes on the internet as there are drops of water in the sea. There's even a whole website devoted to a different macaroni and cheese recipe every day for a month... Whoa. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

30 Days 30 Ways with Macaroni & Cheese

Old 08-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #13
Head Chef

I just made a recipe that didn't require you to boil the noodles first. It came out thick and good! I'll try to find a link for the recipe. As for a side/vegetable, I love fresh sliced tomatoes. Nice and light next to the hot and heavy Mac and cheese.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:21 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger
I just made a recipe that didn't require you to boil the noodles first. It came out thick and good! I'll try to find a link for the recipe. As for a side/vegetable, I love fresh sliced tomatoes. Nice and light next to the hot and heavy Mac and cheese.
Or...bake the tomatoes right on top!
Old 08-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #15
Master Chef

So many great recipes are available, as thenamesdave stated. The only constants are that the mac & cheese should be creamy smooth in texture and have great flavor. The smoothness comes from making a great cheese sauce, either as the mac & cheese casserole is baking, or in a pan, and then adding it to the cooked pasta. The casserole should have a light crunch on top, from baked cheese, but not burnt.

Typically, sharp cheddar adds flavor, while a great melting cheese helps to make it creamy.

I prefer to make my sauce separate, and add it to the cooked pasta. This allows me to better control the moisture content (who wants soupy mac & cheese, or mac & Cheese that sucks the moisture right out of your mouth!). I like to use a combination of cheeses such as sharp, white cheddar that has aged in excess of 3 years, maybe some grated colby, and cheeses like Fontina, or Butterkase, or Bergenost (I've had it from yancy's Fancy only once, but fell instantly in love with it), or Velveeta (I know, it glows in the dark), all combined with whole milk, or half 'n half. Add a touch of good mustard, a a little freshly ground black pepper and you have a great sauce in the making. For stronger flavor, use more cheddar. For a more mellow flavor, decrease the cheddar and use the other cheeses, or add Monterrey Jack, or Muenster to the mix.

Finely grate all cheeses and allow to come to room temperature. Heat a cup or two of milk in a medium sauce pan until it just starts to simmer. Remove from the heat. Slowly add the cheese while stirring, making sure it is completely melted into the sauce. Keep adding cheese until your get the desired thickness. Add the pepper and mustard to taste. Combine with the cooked pasta in a casserole dish, sprinkle on some more cheese, and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.

Serve this with some good, braised chuck roast, or Pork Sirloin roast, and a green veggie, I'm thinking steamed asparagus as it will perfectly compliment the meat and mac & cheese. I'm now wishing I had that plate sitting in front of me right now. Oh yehhhhh.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Mac and cheese in the box is crap. Try using a nice Penne or rigatoni and make the sauce out of a béchamel and add a few nice cheeses and maybe some seafood or prosciutto or pancetta.

Tags
cheese, dinner