"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning
Old 08-04-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Need ideas for mac and cheese dinner

Hi, all.

I'm searching the internet high and low for a delicious macaroni and cheese recipe (casserole style) that I can serve with a nice vegetable side or maybe a salad.

1. Do you have any macaroni and cheese recipes that you have encountered or made personally that you believe to be the best ever?

2. What kind of vegetable side would you serve with a hearty, heavy mac and cheese?

This is an event where we'll be celebrating a friend's achievement, and he's told us he wants to celebrate by "coming over to cook all day." My kind of party!

Suggestions welcome!

thenamesdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
Executive Chef
There's two ways to go on this:

1. A box of Kraft Mac & Cheese Dinner (it's a larger box) to which I add shredded Parmesan cheese, shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese, and a couple of tablespoons of cream. Then I add broccoli florets and gently fold it all together. Pour into a greased baking dish and top with slivered or shaved almonds. Bake until golden brown and bubbly.

2. Same as above except use plain elbow macaroni, velvetta cheese and milk to make a basic mac & cheese casserole, then add the extra stuff I outlined above (cheeses, cream, almonds.)

I'd go with an asparagus salad on the side.

What you chose to do, have fun!!!

"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
Assistant Cook
Unfortunately, I need to avoid macaroni and cheese in a box because the person I'm cooking for has celiac disease. The gluten-free pasta is quite good and will hold up well to baking. But thanks for the filling ideas!
thenamesdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
Master Chef
Maybe this will help, here's a gluten free mac 'n cheese that is pretty good and I would serve it with a peppery green salad. Mix fresh greens like rocket, watercress, baby spinach and pea shoots. Add some sliced radishes and a few halved cherry tomatoes. Serve with olive oil and balsamic or lemon vinegarette. And some gluten free bread and butter.
Gluten Free Macaroni and Cheese - Recipe for Gluten Free Macaroni and Cheese
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
Half Baked
Mine is well liked by family and freinds.

oven to 350

1/2 stick butter
1 small onion diced
1/2 cup flour
pinch of nutmeg
4 cups milk
2 packages Kraft Deli deluxe real american cheeese (no substitute)cut up.save 6 slices
1lb elbow macaroni (cooked)
1/4 cup sprinkle cheese. (parmesan)

Optional: diced heel of Parmaggiano Reggiano

In a sauce pan melt butter and onion until onion is softened add flour and nutmeg and cook for at least 1 1/2 minute. Add cold milk while whisking constantly.When milk is hot start adding the amarican cheese until smooth sauce is made.

In a cassarole dish combine cheese sauce and macoroni and add diced parm heel.
cover with reserved slices of cheese and sprinkle with jarred parm.

Bake for 45 minutes or until well browned and bubbly.

I love to make a cross rib roast with this and green beans. I keep the roast slices thin.
Just be yourself! Everyone else is taken.

My Flickr stuff!
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
I usually just boil some elbow macaroni, and melt cheeses with cream of something soup, (usually chicken as it doesn't add a lot a flavor).

For a whole meal, I add a handful of frozen mixed vegetables to the salted water I'm cooking the macaroni in, drain, add the cheese mixture and sliced kielbasa or ham.

Top with bread crumbs or panko and squirt with buttery oil spray, and cook for 30 minutes at 350

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
Certifiable Executive Chef
Site Administrator
For a special mac n cheese:

using your favorite mac n cheese recipe....

Place thin layer of raw mac n cheese in bottom of casserole then layer in a can of loosely diced canned artichoke hearts and some re hydrated and sliced sundried tomatoes. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and top with the rest of the mac and bake till cooked.

Top casserole with a few slices of fresh tomato sprinkled with some Frito crumbs and broil for a few minutes to brown. Fritos are gluten free.

For sides I would serve:
Steamed broccoli and carrots (together) as a side, with a little butter and lemon
A salad of pickled beets, fresh cukes, chopped toasted hazlenuts and orange segments on some arugula. (vinaigrette)

Cherries Jubilee (also no gluten) Very Festive!
Forget love... I'd rather fall in chocolate!
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
Master Chef
Bobby Flay lost his mac and cheese throwdown to a woman named Delilah who used this recipe. Its really good.

Delilah's 7 Cheese Mac and Cheese Recipe : : Food Network
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
oh man, these all look so good! i love mac-n-cheese, but the boxed stuff reminds me of baby food. i guess ut's because we served it to my son so often when he was very sick as an infant. at times it was all he would eat.

but a homemade mac-n-cheese? keep 'em coming.

i like selkie's idea of adding broccoli florets and almonds.

my sister made one once with cubed ham that was very good.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:09 PM   #10
Sous Chef
Okay, here's my grandma's recipe.....but I really don't have specified amounts....you have to eyeball it....
Whole package of wide egg noodles....boiled for about 6 min., then drained
good amount of old orange cheddar cheese, grated
1 or 1 1/2 cans cream of tomato soup....Campbells or Heinz....even can use some spagetti sauce if you have some hanging around
if you like. You can start of with a bit of saute onion.....for taste....I sometimes use it, sometimes not.
Mix the noodles, soup and most of the cheese together and put into a buttered casserole dish. Put the rest...a good amount....of the shredded cheddar on top. Bake at about 325-350F until brown and crispy on top.....This is my Grandsons favourite still, and they're now in their 20's.
It can be served with salad, or any veggie, but the favourite here is either canned niblets or fresh corn!!!!...ENJOY

ella/TO is offline   Reply With Quote

cheese, dinner