"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

No dining table - What should I serve?

I'm having a group of 6 friends over in a couple if weeks for an evening of dinner and games. My place isn't the largest and I don't have a dining table big enough for the seven of us. I want to serve something that can be easily eaten from a bowl, with just a fork ideally, while we're sat around on sofas/chairs but I'm struggling for ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Krump9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:39 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Um, something hearty, a large bowl with stewed beef, separate dumplings or potatoes in the same bowl on the side of it, and a couple sides maybe carrots or beans to put in the same bowl.

A couple years ago I had 2 trays I liked, but we ran short when we had people over. I picked up 6 from Amazon and I use them all the time, not just for serving people. They make a space to set plants that I over water and to use for serving bread or a cookie tray. People can grab a tray and put whatever they want on it and carry it to another room. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Good Luck!

blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:36 PM   #3
Master Chef

I think if you want a meal in a bowl, consider stew, or a hearty soup. Something cooked in slow cooker. Might be more of a spoon dish rather than fork though. Or what about tapas/appetisers, sort of finger foods?
Or if you really set on big bowl and forks, how about big chicken or fish salad with some greens, some sort of salty cheese, like feta, bread croutons? Nice dressing on a side, have couple/three different dressing types so people pick whatever they like.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:00 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking

If it were me, I would opt to serve a bunch of nibbles instead of one big dish, especially something like a soup or stew that's difficult to balance on one's lap and easy to spill

Some examples:
- meatballs in barbecue sauce or a Greek-inspired tomato sauce
- rolled-up cured Italian meats like salami and cheeses like mozzarella and Havarti served with a grainy mustard
- dips and spreads like hummus and tzatziki with toasted pita and sliced Italian bread
- mini skewers of salad ingredients like cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini and cheese with a red wine vinaigrette for drizzling
- mini skewers of fruit salad with strawberries, melon cheese with sweetened yogurt mixed lemon juice for dipping

Allow 6-8 of each item per person. Hope this helps.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:59 PM   #5
Master Chef

How about a curry over rice with an assortment of toppings.

I'm old and lazy so I would probably opt for of an assortment of Chinese take away or pizza, wings and a salad.

The important thing is to have fun.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I agree with GotGarlic. You don't want to serve something that is drippy and spillable. Finger foods are the way to go.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Have people sit around the coffee table and nibble food off of it.... finger food or whatever...
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:06 PM   #8
Wine Guy

This scenario takes me back 35 years or so to a time when my then wife and I moved into our first home. We had a lot of mismatched second hand furniture, but no dining room table. We did have a fondue pot that we had received as a wedding gift, however, and so we threw a fondue party.

My wife took a round accent table, put a tablecloth over it (actually, thinking back, it might have even been a sheet) and set up the fondue pot in the middle, being careful to tape down the power cord, so no one would trip over it. I made a Cheddar and Beer fondue (I'm originally from Wisconsin, and those two ingredients are staples there).

Everyone just grabbed a chair, milk crate, pillow, or whatever was available to sit on, and pulled up a seat around the little table. Then we passed around bowls of bread cubes, cut up veggies, apple slices, and everyone dunked them into the communal pot.

It was actually a lot of fun!
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:28 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Pizza
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:56 PM   #10
Master Chef

You might try a pasta or rice casserole like chicken broccoli rice or baked ziti. It would be substantial and hearty, can be served in a bowl and is less spillable than soup or stew. A nice bread with it and veggie tray finger foods to round out the meal.