"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 08-24-2015, 07:27 AM   #11
Master Chef

With the cooking/heat sources you describe, there are few things that you can not cook. Think slow cooker stews, lasagna, pasta with sauce, roasts that you can first brown either on the grill, or in a pan over your catering burner, hot dogs and baked beans, grilled or steamed corn (do you have a microwave oven by any chance, works great for corn), mashed potatoes, fried potatoes, baked potatoes, potatoes Anna, Potatoes Au Gratin, Sweet potatoes with vanilla, sweet potatoes with pumpkin pie spices and butter, stir fries in you dutch oven, fried chicken, grilled or barbecue meats, spare ribs in the crock pot, etc.

The trick is to determine which heating appliance will cook what part of the meal. Plan your meals to use multiple appliances for different pats. Maybe cook the veggies in a pot with butter, while grilling some chicken, and use the toaster oven to make some garlic bread. Use the slow cooker to make stew, and the toaster oven to make biscuits.

To give you an idea of how wild cooking can get, way back in my boy scout days, out scoutmaster had us make bread dough, rolled into a snake, and wrapped around a stick. We then baked the bread by holding the stick over our cooking fire until the bread was golden brown and cooked through. It was like a serpentine bread stick. I was so impressed with my scout master. I never stopped liking the man, and have fond memories of his teachings, and his care for all of us. He helped make the mundane parts of life an adventure.

Take this opportunity to do the same. Have fun with it.

You can do this. Just think of each appliance as a heat source, like you would the multiple burners and oven of a normal range.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:20 AM   #12
Master Chef

How about couscous.

It is pretty simple to "cook" and at this time of year with all of the fresh vegetables it could work as a simple hot dish on day one and a salad on day two.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:56 AM   #13
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Oh boy, what a bunch of good ideas...I'm making notes for me!

Janet, do you have a grill basket? I adore mine for vinaigrette marinated grilled veggies, and a package of Lil Smokies in the mix makes a great meal. I see you cook meat for Hubby, and you can easily pick them out of your serving.
I agree - loads of good ideas here - keep them coming! I think my biggest hurdle is the idea part of meal planning. Shifting my perspective away from a range is the trick and I'm having some trouble.

Recently I picked up a grill basket at a tag sale and so this is on tonights menu... State fair style sausage (meat for him/fake for me) sandwiches with grilled onions and peppers.

The flat bottom and small holes make it pretty easy to sear up veggies on the bbq. Love this little thing.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:01 PM   #14
Master Chef

You're going to love that grill basket Janet! Here's a picture of mine in action...

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:46 PM   #15
Master Chef

That looks delicious, Kay. I can't believe I still haven't gotten a grill basket! I saw them in Home Depot the other day and almost picked one up, then I got distracted and forgot. Usually I slice big veggies like zucchini and bells in half so they won't fall through the grill, or skewer them. Asparagus just goes on the grill crossways. But it would be nice to have a grill basket and just do them all at once. It's now on my list!
Old 08-24-2015, 06:57 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

When we renovated our kitchen several years ago, I was determined to master the grill You can grill practically everything - veggies, fruits, meats and meat substitutes. If you have cast iron pans, you can use them on the grill grates for sautéing.

You can boil potatoes for potato salad on the burner you have and finish them in the grill basket: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/b...bs-recipe.html

You can also make this recipe I made last night, substituting non-meat sausages for you: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...ut-recipe.html. Use this idea to make a Mexican or Italian version.

Does your grill have a side burner? If so, you can boil or sauté on that while grilling.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:23 PM   #17

Site Administrator

Last nights sausage sandwiches were pretty good but cooking on the grill was interrupted when the propane tank dried up. I finished them on the butane burner and gassed up the tank today. Sigh..

Tonight's meal is currently slated to be grilled garden veggies (eggplant, tomatoes, onion, zucchini and a rutabaga) over angel hair pasta. I'm going to try making some blue cheese and walnut stuffed mushrooms to go with. I think I can do this on the grill... I hope.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:52 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Bummer about the tank. We try to keep a spare one on hand, but it doesn't always work out.

Depending on the size of the mushrooms, you might be able to skewer them. Or make a little dish with aluminum foil to put them on.

I have a set of little skewers like this for onions. Skewering large slices horizontally prevents them from falling apart as they cook and soften:
Old 08-26-2015, 09:09 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

I posted a recipe for vegetarian okonimiyaki under Ethnic foods that you can do on an electric Griddle. If it has too many ingredients, just leave some out but keep the cabbage.
I often make a rice - lentil blend in the rice cooker. I make a meal salad out of the leftovers by adding chickpeas or another legume, a green left veg, carrots, cubes, tomatoes, apples and whatever else is on hand. I dress it with balsamic vinegar, s&p. You can toss in hb eggs. What about rice wraps?
Old 08-27-2015, 01:51 PM   #20

Site Administrator

Last night we had breakfast on the griddle - hash browns, eggs and some seared pears.

The stuffed mushrooms the night before went pretty well. I had to drop them in foil part way through cooking as they were too hot on the bottom but in the end it worked out.

Not sure yet about tonight menu - maybe rubens and a salad?

Tags
menu, stove