No stove; menu help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last night we had breakfast on the griddle - hash browns, eggs and some seared pears.

The stuffed mushrooms the night before went pretty well. I had to drop them in foil part way through cooking as they were too hot on the bottom but in the end it worked out.

Does your grill have a rack where you can put things that cook faster several inches above the grate? That can help with things like mushrooms. You can also turn off one side of the grill and cook (or warm up) with indirect heat instead of having food over direct flame.

Does your grill have a rack where you can put things that cook faster several inches above the grate? That can help with things like mushrooms. You can also turn off one side of the grill and cook (or warm up) with indirect heat instead of having food over direct flame.

Yes - it has a top rack but by the time I found the mushrooms were too hot on the bottom - they were REALLY too hot. They went into foil on the top rack ;)

Dead ovens must be going around. Ours died yesterday afternoon while I was canning. It's only 10 years old, so I'm a little perturbed about that.

Today I have a board meeting with our wine club and was asked to bring a dessert. I suppose I could have bought something at the store, but had already bought all the ingredients for a coconut cheesecake that I've been experimenting with for the last week.

So I improvised.

I baked the cheesecake in my Weber gas grill using indirect heat. Guess what? It came out looking fantastic and, unlike my oven attempts, didn't crack at all.

img_1437255_0_fb9fddc710fd5caedbbf4a230a1e6543.jpg

Beautiful cheesecake, Steve. And what a creative and successful last minute fix with no oven!

Dead ovens must be going around. Ours died yesterday afternoon while I was canning. It's only 10 years old, so I'm a little perturbed about that.

Today I have a board meeting with our wine club and was asked to bring a dessert. I suppose I could have bought something at the store, but had already bought all the ingredients for a coconut cheesecake that I've been experimenting with for the last week.

So I improvised.

I baked the cheesecake in my Weber gas grill using indirect heat. Guess what? It came out looking fantastic and, unlike my oven attempts, didn't crack at all.

img_1437388_0_fb9fddc710fd5caedbbf4a230a1e6543.jpg
You're a good man, Steve Kroll, a good man.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

A week or so ago my oven died and we've ordered a new range. it won't be installed for another 10 days and in the meantime I need to prep meals . I need ideas. They don't need to be fancy but I've exhausted my short list already - any help?

Here's what I have to cook on:

Propane BBQ
Toaster oven (pretty small)
1 butane burner (caterers burner - very hot).
Crockpot
electric griddle
Waffle iron
Rice cooker

I have no oven, microwave or stove and frankly don't want a lot of leftovers. There are two of us and I am a vegetarian.

So far we've had:
Flat bread pizza (BBQ)
Steak and packet cooked veggies (BBQ)
Breakfast (elec. griddle)
Burgers (BBQ) and tater tots (waffle iron)
Stirfry (butane burner) w/rice
Lots of cold food like sandwiches​

Any ideas?
Ok you can use the toaster oven as a regular oven, just smaller pans.
The crockpot can be used as a pan. Just remember at 3 to 4 hour cooking times.
Your griddle can be your skillet.
Your rice cooker can steam just about anything.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the assist :)

Tonights discovery: Tater tots are AWESOME cooked on the BBQ in a grill basket. Never-ever again will I put these in the oven.

Last night: Lamb chops, Basmati Rice, chutney and green beans (again in the grill basket)

Thanks for the assist :)

Tonights discovery: Tater tots are AWESOME cooked on the BBQ in a grill basket. Never-ever again will I put these in the oven.

Last night: Lamb chops, Basmati Rice, chutney and green beans (again in the grill basket)

Great tip Janet.....the SousChef loves tater tots, and I never thought to put them in my grill basket!

When do you get your new stove?

Great tip Janet.....the SousChef loves tater tots, and I never thought to put them in my grill basket!

When do you get your new stove?

It's scheduled for delivery this Saturday and (fingers crossed) and hopefully will be up and running in time for supper. I'm running low on ideas for meals and cooler weather has arrived - it's time to BAKE!

There have been some up sides to not having a stove.

I've made friends with my gas grill. In the past I've mostly seared meat on it - the hotter the better, but now I've learned how to accurately control temperature. Overall meals have gotten simpler with fewer sides (by necessity) and maybe that's a good thing as well.

Tonight's menu is looking like french toast (griddle) with some seared sliced pears and caramelized bananas and linquisa (grill).

That's great! I love feeling comfortable with the grill. When I was a teenager, my mom told me to light the grill once, but not how. I didn't lift the lid and ended up singeing my eyebrows and bangs :ohmy: I didn't do it again for decades :LOL: Then, as I said, when we renovated our kitchen, I made a determined effort to conquer it. Now I grill all kinds of things :chef:

But I'm ready to bake and braise, too. I'm making pork & tomatillo soup and corn bread tonight ? ?

I highly recommend giving this a try if you like tater tots. here's what I did:

Preheat grill to 450. Open frozen tater tots and cram as many as possible on grill basket. I used a weber grill basket like this but I think that almost anything would work including a disposable pie tin.

weber grill.png

Put the loaded basket in the grill and close the lid. Cook them for about 20 minutes. No turning needed. EASY

Five minutes before they were done I added the accompanying burgers to the grill as well as some pineapple spears. Once it was all cooked, I pulled off the tots and burgers and set them aside and toasted split buns for a few seconds. Dinner is ready, pass the ketchup :chef:

The stove is finally installed and tonight I'm going to try it out! It took most of the weekend to get the range hood installed (venting had to be installed and holes cut in the cabinet, ceiling and roof). The tile work on the back splash had to be patched as well to tile up into the space just under the range hood - I'm wiped!

So now all that's left is to cook! So many choices.. What should I start with?

new stove.jpg

That's one beautiful stove Janet!! :clap: Tell us more about it and why it was your choice please.

I'd think that you've missed having the oven most, so maybe you should bake a cake to celebrate. :chef:

Love the grill basket. All the ones I have seen in stores had holes big enough for kernels of corn to fall through.

That's one beautiful stove Janet!! :clap: Tell us more about it and why it was your choice please.

I'd think that you've missed having the oven most, so maybe you should bake a cake to celebrate. :chef:

It's a Thermadore and uses propane. The burners are 15K BTU and 2 of them have a super low simmer setting. The oven is aslo propane and convects. it's simple - no fancy timers or digital pads and will run in a power outage.

There is some back story here... A few years ago we redid the kitchen and put in a jennaire downdraft slide in electric range - it was lovely and we bought it new at a salvage sale (store going out of business). W egot a great deal. Somewhere here at DC there is a thread about the kitchen remodel with dragged on endlessly.

In the past few years since the remodel we've had to replace the the digital controller for that jennaire 3 times - each time at a 400.00 cost. Turns out there is a design flaw and the control board cooks each time you clean the oven. When the board dies you cannot use any part of the stove or oven - it's all touch pad controlled. Recently that board fired again and we were faced with the same repair for a range that I had to baby. The glass top is too delicate (also been replaced once when I dropped a pie tin on it and it cracked).

The kitchen is part of a larger great room and that space has a wood burning fireplace that we rarely use because the wood smoke hangs in the neighborhood and more heat goes up the chimney than the fire produces. For years we've talked about putting a propane insert in the fireplace (no natural gas in the area) and so when the stove died we decided to move ahead with the fireplace redo and also get a gas burning stove at the same time.

All that was left was to raid the piggy bank and choose the range. There are lots of choices. After the jennaire nightmare I was determined to avoid any range with a digital control board and get one that would work in a power outage. That left only a few choices and all expensive.

After reading the reviews and looking at a few models, we discounted wolf and viking. That left a PCS range and this one to choose between, both about the same cost. The PCS had 5 burners including a 25K btu wok burner which was very appealing but a buddy of mine who is an appliance repair person suggested that the Thermadore might be more reliable. On the day I was going to purchase the thermadore folks rolled out a special that included a free dishwasher and so that was the clincher. My dish washer works but it's 14 years old so that seemed fortuitous.

The Jennaire we took out was a downdraft and there was a microwave above so we need to add a range hood and all the ducting to go with and the wall where the microwave used to be had to be tiled. Fortunately I saved the left overs from the remodel.

here's a pic of the old range...

backsplah_crop.jpg

We had the fire place professionally installed and they also did the needed propane plumbing to the range but we installed the range hood and the range. Turns out it's quite heavy and was a big job.

The cake is a good idea - I need to make friends with the oven. It has these cool roll-out racks that will be nice for heavy things like turkeys. I have missed baking.

Today I have to decide what to cook and also need to decide what knobs to use on the range - it came with a second set of knobs and they are blue. Maybe we need a poll?

Love the grill basket. All the ones I have seen in stores had holes big enough for kernels of corn to fall through.

Weber makes these in two sizes and I have used the heck out if it. BTW that pic is snagged off an ad somewhere - mine is not nearly that shiny ;)

Love your stove. Make that love your kitchen.
Now as to the knobs. I like the ones on the stove now.
As to what to make. Steaks grilled on the center burner. Homemade bread and a cake in the oven. Various side dishes on 3 burners and heat up a kettle of water on the 4th back burner for tea.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom