"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 02-01-2014, 07:36 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Lighter* items, I think those would come in handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-01-2014, 09:28 PM   #12
Master Chef

Hi Isabella, and welcome.

Best wishes to your boyfriend while he's on the road. Since he'll have access to cooler(s) on the road, could you prepare a few pieces of fried chicken for him? Not a lot, just what you think he will use within a couple of days....maybe a few slices of roast beef or ham, and some sliced sandwich cheese so he could make his own sammies. A small tub of cream cheese with some pre-sliced bagels could be breakfast for a couple of those days, along with bananas, apples and/or a bag of small clementine oranges.

Bagels, pita bread or pita chips, crackers, a jar of peanut butter, and a jar of honey if he likes it, would work for non perishables for that short of time on the road. As another suggested, granola bars is a good idea, too.

You've probably already thought of this, but life on the road will be easier and more pleasant for him if he has a large ziplock bag filled with disposable plates and cutlery, napkins, small travel sized salt and pepper containers, a can opener, and some Clorox handwipes. A few plastic grocery bags would be helpful to hold trash in until he can get to a trash bin, in case he just wants to pull of the road under a shade tree and eat.

Hopefully he will be traveling in a state with nice weather this time of year!

Old 02-01-2014, 10:04 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Great ideas :) I could definitely do fried chicken and beef, I think he'd like that. Also thanks for the ideas on the paper plates and such. I wouldn't have thought of packing the can opener or salt and pepper. Might come in handy.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:07 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Roast beef* I just cooked up some roast beef today I'll probably slice that up for him.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:00 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I love these ideas about putting salads in a jar for the upcoming week: http://www.thekitchn.com/salad-in-a-...lunches-173014

These would make a nice addition to sandwiches for a few days. You could give it a try for a week or two and see how well they last.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:11 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

I really like this idea.. I thought about making salads and this seems like the way to go since we have plenty if mason jars. I'll give it a try this week.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:23 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Another idea to get away from 'bread' every day could be a pack of tortilla wraps, a tube of mayo, and some packs of smoked salmon/ salami/ cold shredded chicken etc. He can make those up himself easy peasy ( don't forget to give him a knife to spread with) and some tortilla chips for crunch. A good item to go with these or as a snack is Avocado pear

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:46 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Thanks everybody for their ideas, he ended up getting called out tonight instead of in the morning so things were pretty rushed, I packed as much as I could for him :) I'll still take ideas for next week.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:30 PM   #19
Master Chef

Hi, Isabella. Let us know how the first week went! By the end of the week you'll have a better idea of what works, what doesn't, and what you might need more of...or less of. Again, best wishes to both of you.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:33 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Thank you, I used a lot of the suggestions I got on here. I'll be sure to let you know how everything works :D

Tags
lunch