"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 02-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Smile Packed lunch ideas?

i wanted to ask for some help on packed lunch ideas. Not for me, my boyfriend starts working out of town on Monday, he will be gone most likely Monday-Friday, he gets some money for food while he's on the road but he'd like to save it up and not use much of it because he can keep what he doesn't use. He'll have a couple coolers, but no access to a microwave. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on food I could make for his lunch that either doesn't need microwaved or would be okay in a cooler. We've already thought of pepperoni rolls... But that's pretty much it lol

Thanks!
- Isabella

Also, there's not really a limit on ingredients, I can get stuff if needed.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:23 PM   #2
Master Chef

Hi Izabella, and welcome to Discuss Cooking.

Will you be packing five lunches for him at a time for the work week, or is he willing to make some sandwiches for himself from the coolers?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thank you. :) And I was planning on packing 5 lunch for him at a time. He will be driving most of the time and I'd like to already have something prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2014, 06:35 PM   #4
Master Chef

He has to stop driving to eat anyway, if only at a roadside rest stop. I'd encourage him to at least make his own sandwiches for the last three workdays, and you pack his first two lunches. I can't imagine wanting to eat a pre packed lunch that was older than two days.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:38 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Yeah, that makes sense. I think I'll do that, but I'd still like to find some other ideas too.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #6
Master Chef

Oh, you'll get lots of ideas here Izabella!
I've never known a man who didn't love a good meatloaf sandwich. Does he like meatloaf?

Old 02-01-2014, 06:44 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Yes he does, he likes just about everything, the only thing I know he will not eat is tomatoes lol.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:25 PM   #8
Master Chef

A week is a long time to keep a sandwich in a cooler.

I would go with some things like a stick of peperoni, ring bologna, a chunk of cheddar cheese, hard boiled eggs left in the shell, oranges, apples, bananas, chocolate bars, crackers, a box of cereal, milk and some cookies or granola bars.

He can also cut some corners by hitting a grocery store or convenience store with a deli and pick up some cold cuts, fried chicken, salads, milk etc... If he is not much of a shopper make him a short list of survival items that he can just grab and go.

I would think in terms of taking the "extras" and planning on picking up the main portion of the meal with a quick stop along the way. I'm concerned that it may end up costing more if you try to pack everything and then when it is not so tasty towards the end of the week he ends up buying his meals to escape the cooler.

Good luck!
Old 02-01-2014, 07:30 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I agree with Kayelle. Except in the case of an extreme financial crisis, I can't imagine planning a lunch that includes a 5 day old sandwich. Besides there are more than 5 lunches in a week. There are also 5 breakfasts and 5 suppers and a few snacks along the way. Maybe he should check out some frugal meals along the way in various eating establishments.
Maybe you could go to a large truck stop and check out the various plug into the cigarette lighter food prep. items that are available. He could open a can of chili beans or soup now and then and heat them up driving down the road and have a 99 cent meal.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:36 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the ideas, I wasn't planning on making 5 sandwiches for the 5 days because I knew by the end of the week he wouldn't eat them. I think I'll do what Kayelle make a couple sandwiches for the first couple days then pick up a loaf of bread and some lunchmeat tomorrow for him to make some towards the end of the week. I'm also thinking some crackers, chips ect for snacking on. And I think I'll also look for those ciggerates like

Tags
lunch