"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 10-19-2016, 01:20 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

A stew does not necessarily have all three. I stopped putting potatoes in stew because I like it better over mashed potatoes. And stew has been around for many millennia.

A stir-fry usually has all three, since it's typically served with rice or noodles. And curry is usually served over rice as well.

We've had several discussions about the differences between stewing and braising You might want to look it up.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:53 AM   #12
Sous Chef

I coem from an area where no dinner is complete without potatoes, yes some people say they are not really full without potatoes. So curry, rice and potatoes, spagetti, sauce and potatoes and the list goes on. There has to be potatoes or it not a full meal.

I on the other hand will do meal with no starch side dish or no veggies side dish because taste better and people will be full anyway.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:54 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I always start with the protein when developing recipes/menus. I go with the flavour profile off the protein and develop the sides from there, carrying the flavour profile and eye appeal based on what is in season.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:58 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Being a diabetic, I often forgo the starch. Sometimes even the veggie. Healthy diet? Far from it.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:26 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
I coem from an area where no dinner is complete without potatoes, yes some people say they are not really full without potatoes. So curry, rice and potatoes, spagetti, sauce and potatoes and the list goes on. There has to be potatoes or it not a full meal.

I on the other hand will do meal with no starch side dish or no veggies side dish because taste better and people will be full anyway.
My husband went to Finland for three weeks as an exchange student in high school. He said the host mother served potatoes with every meal, all kinds of ways - hashed, mashed, bashed and gashed, as he put it

One day, he was so tired of potatoes all the time, he asked her to make a pizza. She didn't know what that was (this was in the late '70s, way up north near the Arctic Circle), so he described it and she made it for dinner. Imagine his surprise when he saw there were sliced potatoes on it!

Filipino people I worked with in college said the same thing about rice - they don't feel full without it.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:36 AM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
A stew does not necessarily have all three. I stopped putting potatoes in stew because I like it better over mashed potatoes. ..

Me too! I always make pot roasts and stews without potato and serve them with mashed potatoes or, occasionally, noodles.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:17 AM   #17
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Not quite. Fat is required in the diet for the body to absorb the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K. Several years ago, I had a medical procedure done and the incision would not stop bleeding. Turned out I was extremely low in Vitamin K, which is required to make clotting factors. My pancreas was not making enzymes that break down fats in order to absorb fat-soluble vitamins. I've been taking those enzymes in pill form ever since. So if you have 0 percent fat in your diet, you can bleed to death.

And you seriously need those micronutrients in sufficient amounts. I have neuropathy in my feet because I was deficient in copper.

Eating a variety of proteins, carbohydrates and fats is the best way to ensure you're getting everything you need to stay healthy.
Vitamins & Minerals: Are You Getting What You Need?
I'll concede that fat is absolutely necessary. What I meant to say is that "The fuel source can be any combination of carbohydrates AND fat." On a typical day, around 80% of my own dietary intake comes from fat.

And nowhere did I imply you don't need certain minerals to survive. I would argue, though, that even experts disagree on the amounts one actually needs. But certainly far less than your protein and fuel requirements, which is the point I was trying to make.

Carbohydrates, however, are not an essential human macronutrient. One can live without consuming a single gram of carbohydrate. Provided you're in relatively good health, your body is fully capable of manufacturing any glucose it needs from protein through a metabolic process called gluconeogenesis. This process is how low carb dieters (and very low carb dieters, such as myself) are able to maintain normal blood sugar levels.

Dr. Eric Westman's view on the topic:
Is dietary carbohydrate essential for human nutrition?
Old 10-19-2016, 10:56 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I'll concede that fat is absolutely necessary. What I meant to say is that "The fuel source can be any combination of carbohydrates AND fat." On a typical day, around 80% of my own dietary intake comes from fat.

And nowhere did I imply you don't need certain minerals to survive. I would argue, though, that even experts disagree on the amounts one actually needs. But certainly far less than your protein and fuel requirements, which is the point I was trying to make.
Right - I just wanted to emphasize for other readers why it's important to have fat in the diet. It's necessary for absorption of some essential vitamins.

Quote:
Carbohydrates, however, are not an essential human macronutrient. One can live without consuming a single gram of carbohydrate. Provided you're in relatively good health, your body is fully capable of manufacturing any glucose it needs from protein through a metabolic process called gluconeogenesis. This process is how low carb dieters (and very low carb dieters, such as myself) are able to maintain normal blood sugar levels.
Yup. My problem is that I'm not that healthy and I have to limit high-fiber foods to prevent serious problems, so this diet wouldn't work for me. I'm trying to reduce the simple carbs I serve at dinner to help DH lose weight.

Quote:
Dr. Eric Westman's view on the topic:
Is dietary carbohydrate essential for human nutrition?
That page isn't coming up for me right now, but I understand what you mean.

Tags
greens