"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 10-18-2016, 03:19 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Starch meets greens

I haven't heard this term, but a friend, who is a very professional chef, after I had her over for dinner, said, 'you set a good plate, but you always seem to rely on starch meets greens'.

It is telling, and I have to admit, for home cooking, this is the mantra I hold to, have a starch, have greens, and protein. (just being nice for vegans).

Beloved wife, is upset if a meal does not confirm to that, no matter how many tomatillos in the sauce, there must be a vegetable side, and I can dump 8.5 ounces of flour into a beef wellington, still needs a potato.

Now of course, the solution of this is stew. When blessed Prometheus gave us fire on his mountain and was punished for it, I suspect we developed stew shortly thereafter.

Also have to remind my friends, which, due to my explorations in different cooking styles and techniques might forget. I am no chef. I've worked in restaurants, but my heart is over a campfire, throwing stuff in a pot and hoping it comes out edible. And heck heart is an organ meat, there is a recipe somewhere for it.

I think stew, which is my shorthand for anything cooked slow in water or a stock, is my way out. A stew has all three right?

Just wonder if anyone else has felt limited by this, inspired by this, or if you are a menu Formalist, tell me why this convention needs to be.

I remain your friend,

TBS

Old 10-18-2016, 03:23 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Oh I have to say, Starch, Meats, Greens, I thought the auto edit was charming so I let it go.

For my vegan friends Starch, Protien, Greens.

cheers

Old 10-18-2016, 03:35 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Did you discuss alternatives or ask her for suggestions?
Old 10-18-2016, 03:45 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Think of it as a process, I know I do.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:14 PM   #5
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
Just wonder if anyone else has felt limited by this, inspired by this, or if you are a menu Formalist, tell me why this convention needs to be.
It doesn't need to be. It's a habit. Nothing more. Nothing less.

The human body is remarkably adaptable and resilient. The only two things you need to eat in abundance are a fuel source and protein, and, to a lesser degree, certain minerals that can be derived from other foods. Protein is needed because it's a building block that your body needs to repair itself or grow new tissue. The fuel source can be any combination of carbohydrates or fat.

We eat the way we do because it's how we are taught.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:11 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Quote:
Foxy? I don't understand your answer to Andy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
It doesn't need to be. It's a habit. Nothing more. Nothing less.
We eat the way we do because it's how we are taught.
I agree completely...
Old 10-18-2016, 09:09 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I think Andy meant the chef, not your wife
Old 10-19-2016, 12:22 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Bad old habit, Dragon and GotGarlic.

Cooking is a process. I do say, I do the cooking for our house. (I say that proudly and pride implies and deserves a fall)

Beloved Rachel, usually is absent from the process, aside from consuming on the end, or purchasing on the front end. She does not like to cook, so as I do, we sort it out in the end that way.

I can make a frank horrible mess of the kitchen, so she is a participant in cooking, but not really a participant. I think Beloved Wife, influences cooking by bying ingredients.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:00 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I still don't understand your answer :confused: Yes, cooking is a process. I don't get how that answers Andy's question.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:16 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
The human body is remarkably adaptable and resilient. The only two things you need to eat in abundance are a fuel source and protein, and, to a lesser degree, certain minerals that can be derived from other foods. Protein is needed because it's a building block that your body needs to repair itself or grow new tissue. The fuel source can be any combination of carbohydrates or fat.
Not quite. Fat is required in the diet for the body to absorb the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K. Several years ago, I had a medical procedure done and the incision would not stop bleeding. Turned out I was extremely low in Vitamin K, which is required to make clotting factors. My pancreas was not making enzymes that break down fats in order to absorb fat-soluble vitamins. I've been taking those enzymes in pill form ever since. So if you have 0 percent fat in your diet, you can bleed to death.

And you seriously need those micronutrients in sufficient amounts. I have neuropathy in my feet because I was deficient in copper.

Eating a variety of proteins, carbohydrates and fats is the best way to ensure you're getting everything you need to stay healthy.

Quote:
Vitamins and minerals are essential nutrients because they perform hundreds of roles in the body. There is a fine line between getting enough of these nutrients (which is healthy) and getting too much (which can end up harming you). Eating a healthy diet remains the best way to get sufficient amounts of the vitamins and minerals you need.

Essential nutrients for your body

Every day, your body produces skin, muscle, and bone. It churns out rich red blood that carries nutrients and oxygen to remote outposts, and it sends nerve signals skipping along thousands of miles of brain and body pathways. It also formulates chemical messengers that shuttle from one organ to another, issuing the instructions that help sustain your life.

But to do all this, your body requires some raw materials. These include at least 30 vitamins, minerals, and dietary components that your body needs but cannot manufacture on its own in sufficient amounts.
http://www.helpguide.org/harvard/vit...d-minerals.htm

Tags
greens