"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 01-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #11
Executive Chef

All are sad here because the Broncos are out of it, but I will still make up some super munchies. I'm not sure what to make yet and will be looking here for ideas.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #12
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I was unhappy the Broncos were put out....

Old 01-15-2013, 12:10 AM   #13
Executive Chef

All are sad here too Chopper. However, if we all remained sad, and sometimes as sad as some of our teams play during the year, it would be a sad sad world and there would be little incentive to watch football on tv or tailgate our way every week. I'll tell you what is Sad-- not too many more weeks of football this season. Period.

With that-- there's a lot to be said for funeral food-- there's Funeral Salad and Funeral Potatoes and Funeral Hot Dish and Funeral Jello.

I think New Orleans gives some of the best funeral parades and marches evar. Even better than bag pipes and men in kilts.

So , with still a week away from which teams are in the finals, maybe I would recommend a New Orleans theme, the Celebration Parts.

Here's a nifty web site I found after looking at Kathleens thread earlier today, and now coming back to it. --

Deep South Dish scroll on the Left for party ideas.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Another thing we have done here in the Northland is have a winter picnic, light the fireplace for marshmallows and make S/mores. Bake beans, cole slaw and Potato salad and either grill outside or make a big pot of kahlua pulled pork. Not sure if this was a superbowl or just a winter thing. Wear flip flops and hawaiin shirts.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:23 AM   #15
Executive Chef

I am currently in love with Quesadillas. Easy, not much to making them and they can be assembled ahead and heated on demand. Goes good with dips and salsa and my other love-- guacamole. You only need a pizza cutter, which can double as a lifter and a bread board for assembly and a serving plate. Hardly any clean up, my style of party.

I might as well post it here, as that's probably as far as the voting will go. I just know it. Might be able to camoflage a bowl of Guac on the buffet table though
Old 01-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I was unhappy the Broncos were put out....
Frank, were you as disappointed with Peyton's performance as I was?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #17
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Frank, were you as disappointed with Peyton's performance as I was?
I was more disappointed with the Ravens performance.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #18
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I am currently in love with Quesadillas. Easy, not much to making them and they can be assembled ahead and heated on demand. Goes good with dips and salsa and my other love-- guacamole. You only need a pizza cutter, which can double as a lifter and a bread board for assembly and a serving plate. Hardly any clean up, my style of party.

I might as well post it here, as that's probably as far as the voting will go. I just know it. Might be able to camouflage a bowl of Guac on the buffet table though
Thank you for that website! They have tons of ideas. Quesadillas sound terrific and I never thought of them....What do you fill them with?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #19
Executive Chef

well, hmm. Maybe this is why my DxW doesn't want me to serve quesadillas as a party food. First you need a Spoon. A small bowl each -- sour cream, salsa or pico or fresh salsa, guacamole and some seasoned refried beans or hot bean dip.

I like to put a thin layer of grated cheddar or mixed jack/ cheddar on a tortilla. Add some seasoned meat, taco flavor ground beef or leftover thin slice steak, pulled pork or ?? , some onion, sprinkle with fine diced jalapenos and anything else in the frig. Add a top layer cheese and top with another tortilla. I like flour tortillas for these, if I had corn tortillas, I would make soft tacos instead. I have used bbq flavored meats, not just Tex-Mex and the flavors mix quite nicely. The two layers of melted cheese help hold everything together.

Heat a Dry skillet medium hot. Place in the pan, Cook a couple minutes until the bottom starts to get brown in spots. Use a wide spatula and flip. Cook until done. It's ok to lift up an edge and check. You can partially cover if cheese doesn't seem to be melting at the rate the tortillas are browning. I like them crisp and just brown in spots, not the whole tortilla getting a sun tan. Plate and cut into pizza size wedges.

Now, sit down and add toppings by the spoonful in every bite.

Some people like to brush the tortillas with a little melted butter before filling. I don't do this. I have put a small smear of refried beans inside the quesadillas, maybe I put in too much, but they didn't stay as crispy as I wanted, and the beans oozed out when taking a bite. Which is why I prefer to serve beans on the side, if serving.

Afterwhile the little bowls are not pretty but you are happy.

Now, if I were serving this in the company of others, I would mind my manners a little better. We could each have our own spoon, I guess.

I see Andy is making Chicken Quesadillas for dinner tonight. Maybe he has a different take on making these.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

I do.

I use 2 Chi Chi's part flour part corn tortillas - 8" size. I spread quac on both tortillas and add shredded cheese to both, pressing the cheese into the guac a little so it stays put. Then I add pieces of meat, usually chicken. Then I top with diced pickled jalapeņos, diced scallion, salsa, olives, etc. Flip the other tortilla on top and heat it in a skillet until the cheese melts, the meat is warm and the tortillas are browned a bit. Remove to a cutting board and cut into manageable pieces.

It's messier with all the goodies on the inside but it works for me.