"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 01-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #21
Executive Chef

O good. I was afraid I am the only messy eater in the universe.

I like your take on putting together a quesadilla. It is an art-form.

I have seen people served quesadillas in bars and they seem to manage ok even with pitchers of beer and much laughter. So there must be a trick to eating these without too much fuss. Or bibs. And you know if I'm watching football, I will be waving my arms and not paying attention to what I am doing. The exMrs would have a conniption if I spilled on her rugs. And I'm not sure salsa is good for her dog to lick though it would think whatever is fair game with the 5 second rule.

Chi'Chi's tortillas? Like the restaurant? They went out of business here a long time ago, sigh. They used to make the best Marg's and some kind of soft corn cake side dish. I just googled. Their tortillas are avail at most grocers here. I would like to try some half/ half tortillas.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post

I have seen people served quesadillas in bars and they seem to manage ok even with pitchers of beer and much laughter. So there must be a trick to eating these without too much fuss. Or bibs. And you know if I'm watching football, I will be waving my arms and not paying attention to what I am doing. The exMrs would have a conniption if I spilled on her rugs. And I'm not sure salsa is good for her dog to lick though it would think whatever is fair game with the 5 second rule.

Chi'Chi's tortillas? Like the restaurant? They went out of business here a long time ago, sigh. They used to make the best Marg's and some kind of soft corn cake side dish. I just googled. Their tortillas are avail at most grocers here. I would like to try some half/ half tortillas.
Thank you for acknowledging my artistry.

For TBG (The Big Game), if I was going to make quesadillas, I'd use the smallest tortillas and fold them in half.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
For TBG (The Big Game), if I was going to make quesadillas, I'd use the smallest tortillas and fold them in half.
That's probably wise.

Kathleen asked a simple question. And if she follows much of this train of thought, Frank may never taste a good quesadilla, the way they are meant to be eaten. I assure I can eat and behave as an adult. It's a struggle. I have successfully served sticky chix wings and ribs at parties without mishap. I prefer to not eat bowls of chili resting on my lap, too much geometric distance between bowl and mouth.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #24
Cupcake

Quote:

Afterwhile the little bowls are not pretty but you are happy.

Now, if I were serving this in the company of others, I would mind my manners a little better. We could each have our own spoon, I guess.

I see Andy is making Chicken Quesadillas for dinner tonight. Maybe he has a different take on making these.
My superbowl menu has a plan B, I think. Refried beans.......guac.....salsa.......mmmm.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Thank you for that website! They have tons of ideas. Quesadillas sound terrific and I never thought of them....What do you fill them with?
We will be celebrating our 9er's of course and making quesadillas with pulled pork we cook in the slowcooker with cumin, onion,garlic, chili powder then the cheese some Mexican crema, and a good melting cheese I'm thinking Monterey jack with hot peppers in it. maybe some chili and cilantro and all that good stuff. Dessert a chocolate cake with instant pudding in it topped with either ice cream or whipped cream..finger foods not sure yet.
kades
Old 01-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
With playoffs coming down to the final four, I'm pondering what we will have for the Superbowl spread this year.

I keep wanting to make something very different for me. One of the ideas I have was to make these pork belly sliders. They sound intriguing and totally yummy. If I make then, I want nibbles, a side, and a dessert to round it out. Ideas would be welcomed here! I want finger-foods.

What are you considering to make for your Superbowl Spread?
I make *sandwiches with baguettes (French/Italian bread), pull out some of the bread, & cut them into smaller portions.

*Sandwich filling ideas:
Tri-tip sandwiches
Philly cheese meatball subs (sauteed onions & green bell peppers w/ provolone cheese)
French Dip
Italian Beef
Pulled Pork
Sausage, peppers & onions

Sides:
Cold red potato salad w/ dill, and cold mac or tortellini salad.

Nibbles:
Shrimp wrapped in bacon
Guacamole w/ crab
Jalapeno poppers

Dessert:
Brownies or Brownie ice cream sandwiches
Old 01-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:

You reminded me of Chi-Chi's deep fried ice cream served on a tortilla. There are some copycat recipes on the web.

Re the quesadillas, I like mine with apples or pears, gouda, walnuts & green onions.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #28
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
I make *sandwiches with baguettes (French/Italian bread), pull out some of the bread, & cut them into smaller portions.
It all sounds delicious, Cerise! The brownie ice cream sandwiches sound amazing!
Old 01-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #29
Wine Guy

Well, my Packers were clobbered last weekend, so I will probably root for the 49ers now. They and Green Bay have a lot of shared history. If the Niners are knocked out, then I won't root for any team. I'll still watch, though.

Food-wise, we don't do a lot for SB Sunday, regardless of who's playing. It will probably be a Chili and Beer night.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
It all sounds delicious, Cerise! The brownie ice cream sandwiches sound amazing!
You're welcome. Another New Year's resolution bites the dust. LOL Don't look. ;-)

brownie ice cream sandwiches] - Bing Images