Superbowl 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Kathleen, though I probably wouldn't use the spin cycle! :LOL:

the above sketchily-described rumaki, was meant only as a suggestion, possibly to be googled by you if bacon and chicken livers grab your interest as they did mine early this morn. i only wanted to add that making rumaki is a big job, though reportedly worth the time and trouble.

thank you, vit!!! i had a shrimp rumaki years ago (shrimp and water chestnut wrapped in bacon), but i couldn't remember the name. i've seen rumaki on menus before, but there was no description except for something like shrimp rumaki, or scallop rumaki, or something like that. now i know what to order again. :yum:

i was thinking of more appys to make for the game, but i'm not sure which ones i'll get done. i'll probably make cheddar cheese, raw onion, and mustard on wheat crackers, and we're definitely having the broiled buffalo wings. i'm also going to make a big salad topped with seared tuna, scallions, crushed cashews, red cabbage, and crispy asian noodles in a wasabi dressing. then, i'm either making mango salsa and tortilla chips, or loaded nachos.

my sister makes a weird but good one of browned and sliced kielbasi in duck sauce, served in a small crock pot set on low.

i also saw a show recently where giada delaurentiis make fried sweet potato strings that looked really good. they may be on the menu too.

Here's how we keep our beer cold on Superbowl Sunday.
beerfreeze.jpg

I LOVE the beer cooler idea's. You can also use your bathtub (after you clean it, of course.) I see nice display of beer bottles and little yellow plastic ducks. =o)

I'm going to attempt to make a shrimp and sausage gumbo using an Alton Brown recipe that has you making the roux in the oven. I have not been successful in roux'ing in the past. I'm hoping this will work nicely. My one glitch is that I cannot find head -on shrimp. I was hoping to use the heads for the stock. I think a combo of chicken stock and clam juice may work to get something close to the missing shrimp stock.

I do cheddar cheese, onion and too much salt & pepper on Ritz. It's an old hunting camp favorite.

if you're a fan of mustard, try it with a brown or spicier mustard. i like gulden's brown as a standard, or coleman's for really spicy mustard.

this is an old irish pub snack. my dad used to make it when i was a kid (and i just thought he was weird) but then i saw it on the menu in mcsorley's pub (a famous irish place here in nyc), then many other pubs in ny and ireland.

I do like yellow mustard with Swiss cheese. I'll have to try it with cheddar. This weekend for sure. I even have the spicy brown mustard.

are we facing a chicken wing shortage for superbowl sunday? that's what i'm hearing on the local early evening news today. is this being repeated anywhere else?

is this wing shortage serious, or even real? i don't know, but i wouldn't wait another day to buy my superbowl wings, if i didn't already have them safely home.:)

i reported it here after my wife mentioned it to me (she either read or heard about it on tv), but so far i've seen no evidence of it. i've been food shopping 2 or 3 times in the last week, and the stores all had plenty of wings in the refrigerated sections, and iqf frozen as well.

Well, I hate to be unAmerican, But I hate the superbowl and all the hype that goes with . I guess it is because I can't stand football, basketbal, baseball yes. I don't know. But I never complained, I just found something else to do that day.
I did however host a Super bowl party one year,50-70 people because of a friend
I set up stations.
appetzers - nachos, chips,dips,salsa, gucam - peperoni, cheeses, crackers ,
lil winnies wrapped in dough, veggies and dip, relish tray-pickles olives etc
main - chili, 3 dif chicken wings, pasta salad, taco meat and all the fixings
sandwhich / sub station - assorted kinds of rolls - meatballs, made a hoagie dip for subs. sauages, hotdogs
dessert station, fresh fruit bowl, choc chip cookies, whoopie pies, brownies. and a sundae bar for the kids that came.
and of course the bar .
Mind you she had the idea to charge 20.00 a person We had to turn people away.
I was perfectly happy to stay in the kitchen and tend to the food etc.
We had a nice set up - never again tho --

Last edited:
I am not a fan of the hype at all.
All these "acts" leading up to the SB are a real turn off for me.

we have two threads going on superbowl eats, you know. and i see there's going to be a puppy bowl again this year. is the puppy bowl meant for that hardcore group of fb haters out there, and do you suppose i need to buy some puppy chow, too....

or will the hardcore fans consider eating puppies?

the threads can always be merged.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom