"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 11-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #101
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
...Marionberry Pie...

Wasn't Marion Berry the Mayor of Washington DC who was infamous for using cocaine in office? What's in that pie Princess?

Old 11-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #102
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Wasn't Marion Berry the Mayor of Washington DC who was infamous for using cocaine in office? What's in that pie Princess?

I just googled Marionberry pie and came up with a Martha Stewart recipe. Maybe they met in prison and she shared the recipe.

I meant Martha met up with Marion in prison, not PF!!

Old 11-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #103
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Marionberries. They are luscious!
Old 11-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #104
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I just googled Marionberry pie and came up with a Martha Stewart recipe. Maybe they met in prison and she shared the recipe.

I meant Martha met up with Marion in prison, not PF!!
LOL!!
Old 11-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #105
Assistant Cook

My mom wants us to have the Gerson diet dinner for Thanksgiving this year. I'm still going to make my sweet potato casserole, so that I will have something to eat. Don't even ask me what the Gerson Diet is..... I don't want to talk about it. The salad might be good. My mom is on this weird food idea - the gerson diet, and raw foodist, juicer, and she started off being a vegetarian. (Mom, I hope you aren't reading this!)

I'm looking forward to my other side of the family. My step-mom makes a really good Brussels Sprout dish. I'm making corn bread muffins. First time. But I'm worried about them getting stale on the ride over to Dayton OH. (We live in Columbus). Any ideas on how to keep them fresh? I have those plastic containers. I don't mind cooking them, but they are better right out of the oven. I made some ahead of time as a test, and yes they get stale quickly. I'm using Jiffy mix. I've never made anything for this side of the family before, I just never though to bring anything. Last year I found a good recipe for sweet potato casserole, and I tried making it, and now its kind of a tradition.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #106
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Just this evening I found out that there will be at least 7 here for Thanksgiving dinner (possibly 8-9). I'm really excited I love having a lots of people for Thanksgiving. We usually extend an invite to friends, but many go out of town but this year our closest ones are staying in town and they are coming here!

Woo Hoo, I get to cook up a storm!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #107
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Ok; What's a million dollar pie? I've heard of and made many a pie. But that's one I've never heard of. And if there is any one thing true in this universe, it's that if I've never tried it before (concerning foods), then I want to, except for a few that I've talked about before.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
It consist of cool whip, pineapples, walnuts, eagle brand milk....hmmm and some add coconut but my husband doesn't like coconut. I don't like it, lol. It's something that he has had every holiday growing up and I told him I'd make it for him.

I'm not a big cool whip fan so this pie isn't for me...lol.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #108
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusnikki View Post
...I'm not a big cool whip fan so this pie isn't for me...lol.

I agree. I won't eat the stuff.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #109
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Well for good or ill, we had our Thanksgiving yesterday. Mrs Hoot has to work on Thanksgiving Day....That topic is another discussion....We had a fairly traditional menu. I did make Mama Stamberg's Cranberry Relish. I liked it as did my DIL. Everyone else refused to try it or commented that it was "interesting".
In addition to the turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, butterbeans, etc., I made Oysters Rockefeller which was a big hit. All in all, it was a success.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #110
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, our first turkey day dinner is in.
Sounds nice, Hoot.

Tags
dinner, thanksgiving, menu