"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 11-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #111
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
...I did make Mama Stamberg's Cranberry Relish. I liked it as did my DIL. Everyone else refused to try it or commented that it was "interesting"...
I used to make a cranberry relish but everyone wanted the canned stuff so I stopped making it.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #112
Chef Extraordinaire

We're not cranberry fans, so this year I've decided to try cherry sauce. A nod to having grown up in Michigan. We had a cherry tree in the backyard of the house my parents bought from my grandparents.
http://www.food.com/recipe/savory-cherry-sauce-504845

Old 11-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #113
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I used to make a cranberry relish but everyone wanted the canned stuff so I stopped making it.
My family likes the canned also. I guess it takes us back to the days growing up when that's what we had.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #114
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I love the wiggly jiggly stuff from the can! But now I make a cranberry pear sauce that I really like and has been a hit so far, so we have that.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #115
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I like whole berry cranberry sauce, Shrek likes the jellied. Thus, for the two of us, two cans open.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #116
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I experimented with a bag of whole cranberries, fresh squeezed orange juice, water and sugar in the CP. Cooked it overnight and most of the next day on low. The berries didn't burst, so I smushed them with a potato masher. Turned out really good! Next time, I think I'll cook it on high for awhile, so the berries would be more likely to burst.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #117
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I love the wiggly jiggly stuff from the can! But now I make a cranberry pear sauce that I really like and has been a hit so far, so we have that.

That sounds like something my family would like.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #118
Master Chef

When we got back from FL I called my SIL to see what was shakin' for Turkey Day. Um, no turkey??? They couldn't hold off and had their turkey while we were gone so she decided to make breaded pork chops. We love them, I don't make them often - so we'll break with tradition (sorry Tevye). At least now I can defrost the turkey breast I bought a while back

I'll bring a couple sides (Brussels sprouts/bacon/mushroom casserole and "volcano" potatoes) and pumpkin pie. Maybe a small apple galette. I'll also bring a dish of homemade cranberry relish if I can find a certain recipe for one I've made before. It includes port wine as the cooking liquid. Oh So Good! Better go and do a recipe hunt now...
Old 11-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #119
Master Chef

My family like both the canned cranberry sauce and the homemade.

I make an uncooked cranberry relish with fresh cranberries, tangerine, chopped pecans and honey.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #120
Assistant Cook

My Thanksgiving menu for 4

First time cooking Thanksgiving EVER. We alway go out. But here it is.

2 Appetizers
Baked Brie - Mixed crackers
Crostini with herbed cream cheese spread

Main Course
Turkey Breast - Brine - seasoning pending

2 Sides
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta
Mashed Potato & Cauliflower Gratin (pending may change to garlic mashed potatoes)

Salad
Quinoa with Garlic, Pine Nuts and Raisins

Xtra
Gravy
Stuffing - Cornbread, sausage and pecan dressing

2 Desert
Pecan Pie
Pumpkin Pie (might do 1/2 pumpkin and the other may have haupia pudding on top of the pumpkin pie)
w/ Bourbon whipped cream

Recipe for Coconut pudding. Either for topping of pumpkin pie or by itself for pudding squares.
2 cups coconut milk
1 cup whole milk
6 tablespoons sugar
5 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 tsp vanilla (if desired)
pinch of salt (optional)

Cook coconut milk over medium heat in saucepan until hot. In a separate bowl, combine milk, sugar, corn starch, and salt and mix until thoroughly mixed. Combine into coconut milk on the stove and whisk until it thickens, to avoid lumps and burning, into a thick, yogurt-like consistency. Pour on cooked pumpkin pie and refrigerate until firm. I do not add shredded coconut meat because I like the pudding smooth.

I will probably not use it all, just a nice thin layer and put the rest in a small square pan and refrigerate and cut into small individual squares as a separate dessert. Was this TMI?

Tags
dinner, thanksgiving, menu