"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 11-26-2013, 03:39 AM   #131
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernCat View Post
First time cooking Thanksgiving EVER. We alway go out. But here it is..... Was this TMI?
Actually, you seem to be missing one vital piece of information: what time do we all show up at your house this Thursday?

Welcome to DC ModernCat! Good luck with dinner. Be sure to let us know it all turned out perfectly. Even if it isn't, it's still perfect if you enjoyed the company.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:12 AM   #132
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
My darling cousin, who is probably one of the world's worst cooks, has lots of holes in her potluck menu. The offerings sound hideous so far. Last year we took DH's brother with us to Cousin's, and on the drive back to BIL's we all chuckled, as the food was the worst we'd ever tasted anywhere. DH and I are driving up with dressing, my way, and I may even make gravy. We're about 4 hours away, but luckily I have a huge selection of crock pots and it's really cold out.

Thankfully, we love the company, if not the food!
We invited a couple that we really think a lot of, but she isn't a very good cook. She offered to bring something and really wanted to contribute so I put her in charge of beverages. Thing is, she loves to "cook" but she is what I call an assembler, she combines pre-made ingredients.

She invited us to Christmas eve dinner last year. She served Honey Baked Ham straight from the fridge with instant potatoes, that's it, nothing else. We had a great time anyway!

Rob ate dinner at her house once and she served "lasagna", beef-a-roni layered with mozzarella cheese and baked. Her heart is in the right place though!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #133
Assistant Cook

My sister is cooking this year! Usually we go to my parents but they decided to fly to Paris for a holiday - really hope she manages to do a good job but I have confidence in her.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #134
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
My darling cousin, who is probably one of the world's worst cooks, has lots of holes in her potluck menu. The offerings sound hideous so far. Last year we took DH's brother with us to Cousin's, and on the drive back to BIL's we all chuckled, as the food was the worst we'd ever tasted anywhere. DH and I are driving up with dressing, my way, and I may even make gravy. We're about 4 hours away, but luckily I have a huge selection of crock pots and it's really cold out.

Thankfully, we love the company, if not the food!

I don't understand how anyone can screw up a basic turkey dinner. To me, it's one of the easiest meals to make. Once you stuff the turkey, it cooks itself. While it's cooking, you make the sides. What's so hard? I guess the hardest part is having everything ready at the same time without anything being cold.

A friend once told me that her SIL said she would bring the pumpkin pie. She walked in on Thanksgiving with 2 frozen pies that she probably picked up on the way to my friend's house and said "These will need to be baked." The least she could have done was to bake them at home and at least pretend they were home-made. LOL
Old 11-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #135
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I don't understand how anyone can screw up a basic turkey dinner. To me, it's one of the easiest meals to make. Once you stuff the turkey, it cooks itself. While it's cooking, you make the sides. What's so hard? I guess the hardest part is having everything ready at the same time without anything being cold.

A friend once told me that her SIL said she would bring the pumpkin pie. She walked in on Thanksgiving with 2 frozen pies that she probably picked up on the way to my friend's house and said "These will need to be baked." The least she could have done was to bake them at home and at least pretend they were home-made. LOL
You have to forget everything you've learned about cooking in the last 50 years and then try to imagine doing it for a crowd of people expecting a Norman Rockwell painting in your dining room.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #136
Chef Extraordinaire

Getting everything to come together at the same time is why I don't cook big holiday meals. It's just more thinking than I care to do on an already busy day. I've only made myself a turkey dinner once, so it's not something that comes second nature to me.

My one turkey dinner meal.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2turkey.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	19910

Name:	3turkey.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	19911

And a closeup of those mashed taters

Name:	mashed3.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	19912
Old 11-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #137
Certified Pretend Chef

You think doing something once a year makes it second nature? Man, you don't know me. I replan the whole thing every year.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #138
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You think doing something once a year makes it second nature? Man, you don't know me. I replan the whole thing every year.
Well yeah. Once a year, 60-70 years in a row...
Just kidding of course.
I would think some aspects become second nature. Little tricks to make the big day go smoother.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #139
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Same here, it goes back to my days in the working world.

Every year I rough out a mini project plan on the back of an envelope so I can see the timing, oven space, number of stove burners required, pans needed, serving dishes etc...

The nice thing about a turkey dinner is the resting time for the bird, it gives you a big window to cook vegetables and make gravy etc...

The main thing is never apologize and never let em see ya sweat!
Old 11-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #140
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Well yeah. Once a year, 60-70 years in a row...
Just kidding of course.
I would think some aspects become second nature. Little tricks to make the big day go smoother.
The trick is to not leave it all for Thursday. I'll make a roux for the gravy, butternut squash, pies, stuffing, brine, etc. before Thursday. Then it's just the turkey in the oven and a few other things plus reheating.

Tags
dinner, thanksgiving, menu