"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 11-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #151
Master Chef

Turducken is on the menu tomorrow at son's house. Turducken - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Has anyone ever actually eaten one? I'm really looking forward to it, and he's really excited. I hope there will be drippings to add to the gravy I'll be making there. I cooked a killer turkey stock yesterday so I'll take that along for the gravy, along with the dressing I just finished, the fresh cranberry sauce just off the stove, and the always requested broccoli salad I've yet to put together.

Andy, I like the idea of making the roux today for the gravy tomorrow. Can you tell me how much roux to make for 6 cups of stock, plus whatever drippings will result from the Turducken?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #152
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
...Andy, I like the idea of making the roux today for the gravy tomorrow. Can you tell me how much roux to make for 6 cups of stock, plus whatever drippings will result from the Turducken?

A lot depends on how dark you make the roux. Darker roux has less thickening power. More or less will take about the same time and the ingredients are cheap. Make a cup of flour and a cup of oil. I'd go for medium dark. More flavor and color.

I've always wanted to do a turducken but it feeds so many and no one in my family likes duck so it's not practical.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #153
Master Chef

Thanks for your help Andy.

Since I picked up a jar of clarified butter at Trader Joes a while back, and didn't really have any brilliant ideas about what to do with it, I thought it would make an extra special roux for the Thanksgiving gravy. Can't wait to pull it all together tomorrow.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #154
Executive Chef

I am not brave enough to make a roux and I don't want lumpy gravy. I made a slurry and added to the pan drippings from thighs and wings which were added to make giblet stock. Stirred the gravy really well and let it boil with continuous stirring, then added the stock. That made about half enough gravy. I will make a pan of gravy when the bird comes out of the oven tomorrow and heat the two pans together in the end. I think.

We tried out different table cloths today until we had them just right for the tables. Such a little thing that has to be perfect, just to start out. Well, I guess so. Then she made Jr and me fold them all up and lay them out again, and showed us where the Patterns go Both Ways from the Center, In case we are Blinded or she's busy in the kitchen when we set up the 2nd table. It doesn't get to stay up and pushed against a wall until dinner. Ok, then. I feel like I should start looking for matching sox, but I don't have lace, so I will just try to have 2 sox that are the same color.

I peeled potatoes, which went pretty fast because I was told it was a left-handed peeler. Then we polished some silver.

And on that shiny note, I came home.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #155
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I am not brave enough to make a roux and I don't want lumpy gravy. I made a slurry and added to the pan drippings from thighs and wings which were added to make giblet stock. Stirred the gravy really well and let it boil with continuous stirring, then added the stock...
There's nothing wrong with making gravy that way.

Sometime when you've got a moment, try making a roux. It's not difficult at all. It's all about heat management and stirring.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #156
Executive Chef

On different occasions I have made/ brought dishes I didn't make practice runs at home prior to serving. GRAVY on the other hand needs to complement the turkey, 'taters and stuffing. And I think some secretly mop their yeast rolls too. I did what I know is my TNT> You could drink this stuff. In your largest coffee mug and ask for more and it would not be enough. It turned out great.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #157
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
There's nothing wrong with making gravy that way.

Sometime when you've got a moment, try making a roux. It's not difficult at all. It's all about heat management and stirring.
I agree with you there, Andy. I got my stool from the breakfast bar, turned on the kitchen tv, and was determined the whisk would be in constant motion in the skillet till the right color appeared, (in this case a light golden brown) which was about 15 minutes. It smells wonderful and it's in a zip lock bag to take with the stock and make gravy tomorrow.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #158
Executive Chef

We pulled our stock out of the fridge last night to put into smaller containers. Just setting the pot down on the counter set the stock to jiggling like jello. There was no pouring this stock when cold. Had to use a ladle.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #159
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I agree with you there, Andy. I got my stool from the breakfast bar, turned on the kitchen tv, and was determined the whisk would be in constant motion in the skillet till the right color appeared, (in this case a light golden brown) which was about 15 minutes. It smells wonderful and it's in a zip lock bag to take with the stock and make gravy tomorrow.

Glad. It worked out for you Kayelle. Enjoy your day.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #160
Master Chef

Tags
dinner, thanksgiving, menu