"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 11-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I always connect the term filling with Pennsylvania Dutch or Amish cooking.

Some recipes use mashed potato instead of bread or in addition to bread.

You are right! I googled "Thanksgiving Filling" and came up with several Amish recipes and they included potatoes.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #32
Assistant Cook

I have to find my recipe for sweet potato casserole. My mom is a vegetarian/raw foodist/organic/no processed foods. I have no idea what she will eat.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michellecooks79 View Post
I have to find my recipe for sweet potato casserole. My mom is a vegetarian/raw foodist/organic/no processed foods. I have no idea what she will eat.
Yikes. How about a bowl of nuts and berries and a plate of celery and carrot sticks?
Old 11-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michellecooks79 View Post

Maybe she can bring a small casserole of something she usually eats and others can try it also.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

It will likely be just me and DH, but I still make a full Thanksgiving dinner because I LOVE turkey and leftovers. I get the smallest one I can find, usually about 12 pounds, and roast it. I'll make stuffing with raisins, because DH likes it that way, mashed potatoes, gravy, roasted green beans and yeast rolls. Pumpkin pie with freshly whipped cream for dessert.

Because my mom recently had shoulder surgery, I doubt she and my stepfather will want to travel on Thanksgiving, and their house is tiny with only one bedroom, so I'm thinking we will go up on Friday, bring something for a big midday meal and spend the day with them. Whew, run on much, GG?
Old 11-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #36
Master Chef

My family loves the traditional, so it's pretty much the same every year - roast turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, dressing, roasted sweet potatoes, steamed green beans with almonds, and homemade cranberry sauce.

I've been really wanting to try Ina Garten's turkey roulade for a couple of years now, but I must stick with the traditional roast turkey for Thanksgiving. I have to agree that it makes the best turkey sandwiches, and I love those almost as much as the original dinner itself.

Roasted Turkey Roulade Recipe : Ina Garten : Recipes : Food Network
Old 11-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

I made a turkey roulade once. I bought and deboned a whole turkey so there was both light and dark meat. It turned out very nicely and was delicious. It also cooked faster and more evenly so dry white meat was not an issue.

That said, it's just not the same as a Thanksgiving turkey.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #38
Master Chef

Good to know, Andy. And I agree, Thanksgiving just wouldn't be the same for my family without the traditional golden roast turkey - with the leftover sandwiches, turkey casseroles, etc. Will try the roulade on a non-holiday meal.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Has anyone here ever made a deep-fried turkey? A couple years ago I bought an electric turkey fryer but I've never used it. It's meant to be used indoors but I would imagine I could put it out on the back porch for safety reasons. The thing that deterred me was the book says the oil has go cool for 5 hours before draining it. I don't have anywhere in my house that I could put that fryer for 5 hours when I have a house full of company. I'm so afraid someone would bump it and get burned with the hot oil. I just had to buy that turkey fryer because I have to buy every new kitchen gaget that comes out.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #40
Certified Pretend Chef

I've fried a few turkeys in my time. Done right, they are fantastic. You can't stuff it but you can do the stuffing in the oven. That's what I do every year for a roast turkey.

I'd recommend frying outdoors. There's a lot of steam and grease in the air. Cover the fryer and leave it on your deck or yard to cool. It takes a long time for that large quantity of oil to cool down so it can be handled safely. It can stay there overnight if you want.

Tags
dinner, thanksgiving, menu