Thanksgiving Dinner - Your Menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
roasted turkey,2 kids of gravy, stuffing recipe sent to me by a DC member it uses 3 uncut loaves of bread 2 white one wheat cubed with sautéed onion, garlic, celery, lots of melted butter and some chicken broth, and then put in a large baking dish and baked, mashed potatoes 2 types of gravy both classic brown and turkey, BC's praline yams, Brussels sprouts and bacon, a relish tray with deviled eggs,2 kinds of olives, stuffed celery, peppers, crostini and truffle butter, cranberry sauce homemade with oranges, lemon and juice, pumpkin muffins ,pecan pie, lemon mirangue There might be more:LOL:
kades

Oh, it's absolutely delicious! Peanuts are a major Virginia crop - Planters Peanuts was established just west of here. I don't know if this is Janet's recipe, but I've made this one before for Thanksgiving when I had a lot of family over and it was great: Cream of Peanut Soup : The Colonial Williamsburg Official History & Citizenship Site

Mine is very similar but I add a little cayenne, a little fresh ground ginger and a little curry powder. It needs a little kick - just enough to be interesting. Then serve with a small dollop of sour cream in the center of the soup and top with chopped parsley. It's fabulous but also quite hearty so you may want to serve polite portions before a large meal.

We often eat this soup as a meal with a salad and a generous amount of crispy bread.

Let's talk Thanksgiving

I planned a lovely beef roast for Thanksgiving this year but my brother was so disappointed when he heard that I decided to do yet another turkey. I will be bribing and spatchcocking it this time. But I need some new twists on the sides. I can't diverge too much from the traditional North American fare but I thought I would consider doing twice baked sweet potatoes with pecans and marshmallows nestled inside. Still trying to think of something else fabulous. How about you?

I planned a lovely beef roast for Thanksgiving this year but my brother was so disappointed when he heard that I decided to do yet another turkey. I will be bribing and spatchcocking it this time. But I need some new twists on the sides. I can't diverge too much from the traditional North American fare but I thought I would consider doing twice baked sweet potatoes with pecans and marshmallows nestled inside. Still trying to think of something else fabulous. How about you?
Ummmm....that should be brining. I have never had to bribe a turkey yet and I do not intend to start now. lol

I wonder if there is a way I can arrange a tiny pan of stuffing under a spatchcocked bird so the stuffing gets that old fashioned in the bird stuffing flavor without sucking up all of the pan juices. I only need a tiny amount of stuffing because dh prefers Stovetop. Go figure.

Last edited:

Last time I checked, the SW was still in North America!:rolleyes: Take some inspiration from that region for spicing your bird and choosing your sides.:yum:

I wonder if there is a way I can arrange a tiny pan of stuffing under a spatchcocked bird so the stuffing gets that old fashioned in the bird stuffing flavor without sucking up all of the pan juices. I only need a tiny amount of stuffing because dh prefers Stovetop. Go figure.

I don't see why not. I'd probably use a small disposable pie pan for easier cleanup.

Re: sides, what do you usually make and what kinds of cuisine does your DH like?

Cook your bird and make it beautiful with a rub of butter, black pepper, garlic, and sage. Dust it very lightly with flour and roast it on a rack.

For the stuffing, purchase a nice inside round of beef, or similar cut, or a round steak. If using the inside round, start at the top and slice 1/4 inch, and then slice sideways to follow the outer surface until you've turned it into a flat piece of meat. If using the round steak, tenderize and season it with S & P. For either flat of meat, spread a good rice and wild rice pilaf, cooked in turkey broth over the meat. Spinkle with chopped mushrooms and chopped onions. Now, roll it into a round and tie it off so it will hold that shape. Bake it until the center reads 150' F. you can also use traditional bread dressing in this rouladen.

Makes another great protien with the turkey.

Just a thought.:chef:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

This is subject to change at anytime....but at the moment my menu is:

Turkey/dressing
ham
corn casserole
potato salad (unless I get talked into mashed potatoes by my daughter)
mac and cheese
mustard greens
rolls (I'll probably do a little corn bread for the greens, this is tha' south)
pecan pie
million dollar pie (per my husbands request)
cherry 7up cake (suggested by one of my nieces)
oreo balls (my daughter will "just die" if I don't make these)....

This is subject to change at anytime....but at the moment my menu is:

Turkey/dressing
ham
corn casserole
potato salad (unless I get talked into mashed potatoes by my daughter)
mac and cheese
mustard greens
rolls (I'll probably do a little corn bread for the greens, this is tha' south)
pecan pie
million dollar pie (per my husbands request)
cherry 7up cake (suggested by one of my nieces)
oreo balls (my daughter will "just die" if I don't make these)....

Ok; What's a million dollar pie? I've heard of and made many a pie. But that's one I've never heard of. And if there is any one thing true in this universe, it's that if I've never tried it before (concerning foods), then I want to, except for a few that I've talked about before.;)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Menu has been finalized:

Cornish Game Hens
Sage Dressing
Gravy
Cauliflower (for Shrek)
Spinach (for me)

Marionberry Pie

If I want pumpkin, I need to just make enough for me.

I love Cornish Game Hens. I like having that whole little bird, all for myself!
We like them also but I usually make 2 hens and split them in half after roasting. We each get a half, some stuffing, veggie and pan gravy. No left overs! LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom