"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 11-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #71
Master Chef

I just barbecued a 15 lb. turkey on the Webber yesterday. I used alder wood over charcoal to provide the smoke. It took 3 hours to bring the bird to a temperature of 160' F., at which time I pulled the bird and set in on a sheet pan. I let it sit for 30 minutes. This bird was stuffed, and the center of the stuffing only came up to 145' F. I scooped it, placed it a large glass bowl and nuked it to 175 ' measured with a digital thermometer.

The bird was carved at home by removing the whole half breasts from both sides, and slicing against the grain. I carefully removed the legs, wings, and backs, carving the meat from them as well. I didn't even cheat and eat the oysters, but took all of the meat from the back. Everything was neatly arranged in my electric roasting pan, and the juice from the drip pan poured over top. The carcass, giblets, and liver were all boiled and the broth poured over the arranged turkey. It was then covered and refrigerated until today. I plugged in the roaster and turned it to 200' f. I nuked the dressing to searving temp., and served up a very tasty, juicy, and tender bird.

There were two turkeys cooked for the pot luck. Another person, who is known to be a very good cook in her own right, oven roasted her bird. It was Ok. But she raved about mine. People love a barbecued turkey.

I also made two, from scratch, pumpkin pies. Yeh, they were a hit too. Another member made the best mashed potatoes ever. I need to ask her what kind of potatoes she used. They were so smooth and creamy, not grainy.

It was a great, Thanksgiving themed pot luck.

The moral of the story is that I didn't cook these breast-side down, or brined, or even injected with broth. I get the same results whether I'm roasting my turkey in the oven, or barbecuing them on the Webber Kettle. I simply rub the skin with butter, salt, and cook to temp. They come out very moist, er, let me say juicy, more than moist, and tender every time. I've even been known to roast them at 450' in the oven, with equally good results but with super crispy skin.

Pull the bird when it reads 160' F. on the thermometer. You will have the same results, even with a cheap store bird.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #72
Senior Cook

One son in China, one with his girlfriends family, Mom and sister too far away...daughter and I are going out to eat. Prime rib, and perhaps a cocktail or three.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #73
Executive Chef

It's just hubby and myself and we don't eat much but we will be cooking a turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes w/gravy, mixed veggies, dinner rolls and a pumpkin pie.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #74
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaver View Post
It's just hubby and myself and we don't eat much but we will be cooking a turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes w/gravy, mixed veggies, dinner rolls and a pumpkin pie.
Even if it was just the two of us, I cook the whole shebang, we'll eat Thanksgiving dinner 3 nights in a row and enjoy it every time!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #75
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

So far I'm not sure how many people will be here, but here is the preliminary menu

Turkey, I'll also cook a breast if we have extra people
Mashed potatoes
praline yams
cranberry pear sauce
potato rolls
green bean casserole (brought by guest)
pan gravy
homemade stuffing
pecan pie
pumpkin pie

Cider from the farmer's market (so good) and other assorted beverages

Things will be added if more guests are added, likely one more pie and maybe some favorites brought by the guests.

I was going to use a jar of lingonberry from IKEA for Thanksgiving, but I want to keep it for myself so I'll make the cranberry pear sauce instead, which is really good and everyone seems to enjoy it.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #76
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Even if it was just the two of us, I cook the whole shebang, we'll eat Thanksgiving dinner 3 nights in a row and enjoy it every time!

I enjoy cooking Thanksgiving dinner so much I cooked a full dinner for just me one year. It included everything I like.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

I enjoy cooking Thanksgiving dinner so much I cooked a full dinner for just me one year. It included everything I like.
I've done the same thing. Double dressing and gravy, the reason for the season. JennyO turkey breast.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #78
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

I would do that too. I love the leftovers enough that I would enjoy having them, and making many different dishes with them for each night!
Old 11-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #79
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I'll usually buy an extra breast and cook it later in the winter and Rob gets so excited to have another "Thanksgiving" dinner, he's so darned easy to please.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #80
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I like having dressing and gravy just because it Tuesday...

Tags
dinner, thanksgiving, menu