Thanksgiving Dinner - Your Menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanksgiving is a time where I *love* remembering family through food. Probably not the healthiest thing to do, but I do it anyway.

I'll make a turkey with dressing instead of stuffing. Other sides will be bird nests (with mashed potatoes and cream-peas, dumplings, fresh whole cranberry sauce, perhaps some sweet potatoes with pineapple, relish dish with pickles and olives and stuffed celery, and a decadent "Thanksgiving salad." For dessert, a choice of pies.

VERY carb-heavy, but I simply LOVE Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
Thanksgiving is a time where I *love* remembering family through food. Probably not the healthiest thing to do, but I do it anyway.

I'll make a turkey with dressing instead of stuffing. Other sides will be bird nests (with mashed potatoes and cream-peas, dumplings, fresh whole cranberry sauce, perhaps some sweet potatoes with pineapple, relish dish with pickles and olives and stuffed celery, and a decadent "Thanksgiving salad." For dessert, a choice of pies.

VERY carb-heavy, but I simply LOVE Thanksgiving.

When you say stuffing vs dressing, do you mean that dressing is the same recipe, but cooked separately from the bird?

I have heard many differing discussions on dressing vs stuffing.

For the record, I never stuff any bird except the Cornish hen. I always bake my dressing/stuffing in a separate baking dish.

Last edited:
When you say stuffing vs dressing, do you mean that dressing is the same recipe, but cooked separately from the bird?

I have heard many differing discussions on dressing vs stuffing.

For the record, I never stuff any bird except the Cornish hen. I always bake my dressing/stuffing in a separate baking dish.

I bake mine in little biscuit-shaped mounds or in a baking dish. But yes, I mean it is cooked outside of the bird and the recipe is likely similar to what one would put into the bird. Grandma always told me that was the difference between dressing and stuffing. :chef:

I bought my behind the scenes turkey yesterday for 59¢/Lb. So I can start prepping later in the week when it defrosts.

Dinner will be the usual. Good Eats Thanksgiving Turkey, stuffing, rice pilaf, butternut squash, green beans (not casserole) cranberry, gravy. Desserts will include at least a pecan pie and either an apple or lemon meringue pie. SO will make a frosted layer cake for my daughter and grandson as they don't do pie.

Rumor has it SO's son and his new bride will be coming up from FL for Thanksgiving but we've heard those rumors before and been disappointed so we'll just carry on and see what happens.

My cousin is hosting this year again, only this time folks sign up on PerfectPotluck.com to bring stuff. I signed up for dressing/stuffing, as I like mine better than the frou-frou I've had, and wine. I just looked, so far we'll have turkey, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes of some sort. Nobody has yet signed up for cranberries, potatoes, or gravy. Might be an interesting dinner.....

Last edited:
Very quiet Thanksgiving here. Just the two of us.

Glenn has asked for Cornish hens, which I think I'll stuff with wild rice, pineapple and pecans. Homemade cranberry sauce, taters and gravy, probably buttered baby peas, cream cheese/pineapple/lime gelatin salad, some sort of sweet potato side because Glenn really likes them, homemade potato rolls, and some sort of pie. Right now I'm leaning toward an apple-cranberry one I saw a couple of days ago. I may also make a pumpkin one, too, 'cause I sooooo like pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving.

It's what ever they are serving at the Inn. Over 50 years ago my husband declared that the cook should also be thankful on Thanksgiving Day. I thought it was a fine idea and took him up on it.

I got my 59 cents per pound turkey today from the local Wegman's store!

Turkey
Roasted Brussels sprouts
Mashed turnip
Cabbage salad
Pickles, olives etc...
Pumpkin pie with whipped cream

Saving all of my carbs for the pumpkin pie! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
I'm thinking A Cornish game hen with Lundberg's Christmas (red rice) rice stuffing. Parslied potatoes and green beans with garlic and almonds.

Pumpkin custard.

Will be smoking a turkey on Joe to take to a larger family gathering this year. I'm getting off easy for 2013.

There will be 8 of us; 2 sisters and spouses, one nephew with wife and 19 month old son. The dinner will be in the Community House, with other members in attendance as well. I'm doing one turkey, a potato casserole and some canned store bought cranberrry sauce. Don't know the rest of the menu, but I do seem to remember no one has mentioned dessert yet. I am sure that will not be overlooked.

We are hosting Thanksgiving this year. 16-20 for dinner. Sit down dinner. Between the two of us, we have enough good dishes, Cloth napkins and silverware.

Dx's kitchen is smaller size so it will be a hub-bub. I know we will make mash potatoes the day before and reheat in a crock pot. It takes a long time just to peel potatoes and these turned out really good last year. Make ahead gravy and add turkey drippings to finish when re heating.

Everyone brings a dish so there is not so much for any one person to do. It will be fun.

I actually found carton's of Swanson's Turkey broth at Wal-mart. Will be picking some up for gravy through the year.

Sprout, her hubby, and youngens are planning on being here. My eldest sister will also be here. Menu:
1. oven roasted turkey, with sage-bread stuffing
2. smashed spuds
3. turkey gravy
4. mashed rutabaga (my all time favorite root veggie)
5. green beans (not the casserole)
6. relish tray with cranberry sauce, stuffed celery sticks, black and green 7. olives
8. My Mom's famous, and loved Sea-Breeze Salad
9, apple pie (courtesy of Sprout)
10. pumpkin pie
11. Chantilly Cream
12. and finally, dirty -sock soup for the kids (I tease them all the time that they're gonna get dirty-sock soup. It's our own little fun joke. I've even started writing a light-hearted novel of the same name.:LOL:
13. milk, and juices (not in the same glass, silly.:ohmy:):mrgreen:

Aftger the turkey comes out of the oven, I'll be sharing the oysters with Sprout, or maybe munchkin 1 will get half of mine. She's four now, and old enough to share in the special turkey bits with her grandpa. I love those kids. But then, how could you not?

It's snowing out right now, so I need to get to work on my flooded basement issue. And then, it's off to the chili cookoff to serve up, and see how my two entries do this year. It's been 4 years now since I've won a trophy. But my hot entry has in it both Buht-jalokia, and Naga-viper chilies, plus the usual mix. We'll see how the chili heads handle it. I like it.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom