The Pope's Nose and other creative names

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about submarine sandwich? Now sub I can see, because of the shape, and hoagie is used a lot around here, though I don't know what a "hoagie" is... Hoagie Carmichael? but hero? grinder?
OK, I Googled it. Lots more names than I knew and a reason for them all, lol.
Submarine sandwich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
How about submarine sandwich? Now sub I can see, because of the shape, and hoagie is used a lot around here, though I don't know what a "hoagie" is... Hoagie Carmichael? but hero? grinder?
OK, I Googled it. Lots more names than I knew and a reason for them all, lol.
Submarine sandwich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Also "Dagwood." For any too young to remember the Blondie comics and movies, Dagwood ate subs a lot.

I remember the b&w TV show, though they might have been reruns. I thought the actual Dagwood was a piled high sandwich using multiple slices of bread, but I've seen it used for subs, too.

I remember the b&w TV show, though they might have been reruns. I thought the actual Dagwood was a piled high sandwich using multiple slices of bread, but I've seen it used for subs, too.

Maybe they were tv shows. That was long time and many brain cells ago.:LOL:

I grew up in a black neighborhood and my babysitter had a very UN-PC 2 word name for Brazil nuts that I won't post here but the second word was toes.

Shrimp balls.

My dad also had the same un PC toes name for Brazil nuts. As did my grandma!

Last edited:
Shrimp balls.

My dad also had the same un PC toes name for Brazil nuts.
My mom almost fell off her chair when she heard Barbara Jean tell her daughter to go to the store to buy some ____ Toes. She said Yeah we call them that too!! And started to laugh.

Bulls Pizzle Soup with cretins, I love Parsons Noses, Turkey Gurgle Soup is a Fav, Monks Balls or Bolas de Fraile is a particular favorite of mine, I'm not very keen on Lancashire Faggots.
garden 2 035.jpg

garden 2 034.jpg

Pic 1 is Popes Hats or Parsons Nose's, Pic 2 is a Turkey neck which makes the fantastic soup and stock:)

Back
Top Bottom