What are your Memorial Day weekend plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4meandthem

Half Baked
We will probably keep tomorrow simple or take-out since we are cleaning prepping all day.

Sun. we are haveing my wife Aunts and Uncles from Maine and Mass. over. We have not seen them in years. I am throwing a mexican BBQ for dinner with Carnitas, Carne Asada,chicken , rice and beans. Watermelon margaritas to go with.

I just made a great potato and egg salad for lunch. I am also serving deli salumi and cheeses.

Mon I will invite some freinds over to help eat up any leftover food and maybe throw some oysters on the Barbie. BIL is having a Champagne brunch to see the family off in the morning.

I also bought one of those big blow up waterslides for the kids. I hope it gets warm enough to use it. We are actually replacing one that we had for about 7 years and finally tore. We got so many laughs and fun out of the last one!

Hope you all enjoy your weekend! What do you have going on!

The pool is open! I hope. The heater may take awhile to kick in. More planting of seeds and stuff.

Perhaps some chops and pineapple on the grill.

We had our 3-day May long weekend last week (not that anyone asked). I posted some great looking appetizer recipes last week geared for Memorial Day. Enjoy! Hope y'all have fantastic weather--that's what we had here last weekend.

To All My D.C. Colleagues,

Firstly, let me wish all my D.C. colleagues, a wonderful, fun filled, healthy and fulfilling Memorial Day Holiday.

Unfortunately, it is not a holiday on the Iberian Peninsula nor in Italia either ... It is just another 5 day laboral week for me ...

However, I have certainly enjoyed reading about all the goodies, especially those BBQ Grilled items ...

Kind regards,
Ciao,
Margi.

We're going to a cookout this afternoon - a reunion of people my husband worked with early in his career. I'm taking my version of a Greek peasant salad and orange brownies. The salad consists of sliced cucumbers, tomatoes and bell peppers, dressed with evoo, red wine vinegar and ground black pepper, and topped with feta, oil-cured olives and capers.

Other than that, we're doing some home improvement to prepare for a family visit next month.

Sunday: Beer brats, potato salad, baked beans, watermelon

I like it and haven't made it since Labor Day! :)

I had hoped to get some yard work done, but it sure sounds like it will be raining much of the weekend. :mad:

Oh well. Guess we'll just have to make the most of it. I have a lot of indoor things to get done, too.

As far as food... we'll just play it by ear.

I too had hoped to get some outdoor tasks done this weekend, several which require involving helpers. But yes, it may indeed prove to be too soggy and wet outside. I consider this to be Memorial weekend Normal around here. It seems almost every year when we used to go to the lake for the weekend, oftentimes our "opening weekend", it was too cold or wet or both to spend much time outdoors UNTIL right about time to head back to the city, That's when the sun came out. :blink:

I have half a mind to call tomorrow's BBQ OFF;) while non verbally assuring people they are still supposed to come over. That'll bring a reverse to the natural order of things, I'm sure. :) :LOL:

Jr. has to work Monday, so we are having a family get together tomorrow. I would like to grill a bone in turkey breast. It really doesn't matter if it's done on the grill or oven roast. I already decided to make mash potatoes and gravy rather than potato salad, and DxW is bringing a super dessert ( I think turtle cheesecake). Whatever the day is like, we will have a good time and good food.

I hope you all are having a great weekend too.

we went trout fishing today on the musconetcong river, then out to dinner at an italian place that tries to kill you with garlic. it didn't matter what you ordered, it was loaded with garlic. calamari marinara...and garlic, chocken campagna... and garlic, shrimp vesuvio... and garlic, meatballs in garlic sauce; even the bread came with garlic butter.

it was ok, but i'm a midnight shift person and i'm developing a strange aversion to garlic.

and sunlight.

and holy water...:glare:

tomorrow, we're going down the shore for some salt water fishing, seafood for dinner, and rides and games on the boardwalk.

monday is yardwork and baseball practice.

Last edited:
This is going to be a gardening weekend: finish up planting the raised vegetable beds, potting up my herbs, pruning the roses, tying up the grape vines, etc. I am months behind in my normal gardening & planting routine.

Food-wise another mild day here, probably soup again for dinner as my stomach is still recovering from Thursday night. If it feels up to it tomorrow I'll grill something for dinner, either chicken or burgers.

I went to the family cemeteries on Thursday, pulled weeds and dropped off pots.

Tomorrow my older, far less attractive and slightly bossy sister wants to meet up at the hometown parade and have a tailgate/picnic afterwards. I'm thinking fried chicken, potato salad, rolls and strawberry shortcake. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I think today I will set up three of those exploding tannerite targets, pick a rifle and shoot them in succession. Hopefully it being Memorial Day weekend nobody will think my gas well exploded like last time I shot one :angel:

Our gardening week-end, harvesting the overwintered leeks (which just sent up scapes), putting the summer fence around the veggie garden, planting some horseradish, celery, some lettuces and tacking the soaker hose in place for the season.
Metal detecting and hopefully some fishing on fresh water lakes.

I think today I will set up three of those exploding tannerite targets, pick a rifle and shoot them in succession. Hopefully it being Memorial Day weekend nobody will think my gas well exploded like last time I shot one :angel:

you shot a gas well?:ohmy:

i've heard of road signs and bad neighbors, but a gas well??

aren't you too far north to live in pennsyltucky? :D

Nooooo, I meant the last time I shot one of those exploding targets someone thought the sound was my gaswell exploding.

Back
Top Bottom