"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2017, 07:22 PM   #21
Executive Chef

I always have eggs, cheese and tortillas in the house. So, I can whip up some combination of them, along with whatever leftovers are in the fridge.

If you have tortillas and cheese, you always have something to eat.

CD

Old 05-11-2017, 07:40 PM   #22
Head Chef

Just the thought of fast food gives me a jolt of energy to cook. Shrimp and linguine (sauteed shrimp tossed with linguine, and there is almost always a bag of shrimp in the freezer), pastisada (ground beef with tomatoes and macaroni), spaghetti with meat sauce (again, almost always in the freezer), or burgers on the grill.

tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:49 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Frozen Pizza is our go to.

My wife's go to is street tacos. I can eat those every day if need be.
Vinylhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:57 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm with you on the fast food thing, tenspeed. In our house it's "fast food is the last food". Although, truth be told, I do like to make a stop at a Chick-fil-a when we go on vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
...My fave go to for "those evenings" are eggs of some kind. Doesn't take too much energy to fry up an egg for a sandwich or scramble a couple.
MY problem with going to "fry up an egg" is that it becomes an adventure similar to If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. I'll get the bread from the bread box for toasting, and the eggs from the fridge. But when I get the eggs I'll see the mushrooms...which need a quick wash and chop. If I open the "long drawer" for tortillas I'll see the blocks of cheese...which need grating once we agree on a cheese. And on and on and on... It seems like EVERY meal I make, no matter how simple my plan may be, turns into a production. Except leftovers. I can usually just heat-and-eat and be happy.

"The only running I do anymore is running late..."~~~moi
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:03 PM   #25
Master Chef

My grandsons love the "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" series! Sometimes it applies to me but when I'm reaaaallly draggin', and don't want to even call out for delivery or dig through the fridge, a fried egg sandwich will do. One pan, one spatula. Done and done. Of course, if there's some leftovers in the fridge, I'll go for that first.

I rarely even consider fast foods on "those nights". I'm usually in my comfies, and I sure don't want to open up the garage, get some decent clothes on in case I'm in an accident , back the car out, and drive out to get something. There's always something in the house easier than that.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:48 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Scrambled eggs with whatever odds and ends I find in the dark corners of the refrigerator.

From Big Night, one of the great food movies of all time.

CD
Old 05-11-2017, 10:36 PM   #27
Certified Cake Maniac

I feel washed out all the time! But I seem to lean more toward comfort foods. The trouble is most comfort foods don't fit into the guidelines in my signature. So I improvise. Common items are soup, chicken strips with baked wedges, sandwiches, stir-fry veggies, rice noodles, etc.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:39 AM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post

From Big Night, one of the great food movies of all time.

CD
Exactly!
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:26 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
There are times when we all feel too tired to cook. My staple quick meal standby is 'hay and straw' tagliatelle with butter, parmesan, black pepper and sage. It's quick and easy, and my OH loves it. What are your fall-backs? I'd love to know!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
Scrambled eggs on toast. or home-made soup if there's any in the freezer
Old 05-12-2017, 09:47 AM   #30
Master Chef

I'm a big fan of leftover spaghetti sauce with meat on whole wheat toast when I'm feeling to tired to cook. The microwaved is so good for heating the sauce. Next go-to is leftovers. After that, my next favorite is a hot dog in a bowl, and the dog has to be whole, covered in VanCamp's pork and beans, or even better, I can't remember the brand name right now, but baked beans in a brown jar, made with molasses, might be S&W's Boston Baked Beans. DW and I rarely eat the same thing on those nights. I usually have to cook something for her. One of her favorites is way to involved when I'm tired, but I make it anyways. She loves my homemade chicken fingers, with some kind of fried potatoes on the side. And I always have to make ranch dipping sauce to go with it. But, what is a guy to do?

Use to love making pancakes, waffles, or french toast. But blood sugar has to be kept in check.

Almost forgot, if I have any leftovers of the world's most perfect food, chili , that is always my first go to when I'm wiped out.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cook, other