"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2017, 09:17 AM   #51
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
There are times when we all feel too tired to cook. My staple quick meal standby is 'hay and straw' tagliatelle with butter, parmesan, black pepper and sage. It's quick and easy, and my OH loves it. What are your fall-backs? I'd love to know!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
What is it?

Old 05-19-2017, 02:47 PM   #52
Senior Cook

'Hay and straw' tagliatelle are simply plain egg tagliatelle (Straw) and spinach tagiatelle, which are green (straw) I usually buy fresh made from the pasta shop and freeze them. They sell them already mixed. The way of serving them, with butter, freshly grated parmesan, black pepper and sage finish the dish. Easy as winking - and almost as quick!

di reston

Old 05-19-2017, 03:30 PM   #53
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
di, when I don't feel like cooking and cleaning up,
I go freezer diving.
I mean to say that I always have some sort of dish that I've made
previously and I ALWAYS make too much.
So I divvy it up into portion sizes, package it up in a freezer bag,
squeeze out most of the air (or I use my Food Saver).
Click image for larger version

Name:	kalua-pig-packages.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	26884
The other night I just plain didn't feel like making dinner, so I did a quick defrost of a package of my Kalua Pig, chopped up some green Cabbage and Sweet White Onions, a jiffy saute and Bob's your Uncle, DONE!
I keep it to a one pot supper and the pot goes into the oven (out of sight) til morning and I do a wash up after breakfast.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:52 PM   #54
Head Chef

Well, I can't believe what the majority of you go to when you feel "washed out"! For me, even boiling water for pasta is too much work... too much thinking... salt, don't over cook, watch the time, sauce, which?, cheese, grate..

nope that's all too much, although di, yours sure sound delish and I'm going to have to try it.

I grab some crackers and any cheese, a knife and a small cutting board. And of course, some wine. Sometimes I will also grab a chutney - if it's at the front of the fridge - and a small spoon. Then I choose a slightly bigger cutting board.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:55 PM   #55
Head Chef

I do admit I sometimes grab a freezer meal, but only if it can go straight into the oven, come out and be dumped on a plate and eaten - never if there has to be anything else done with it. Only sometimes those freezer meals take a good 40 minutes in the oven. Can I wait that long? do I really want to eat that late? Ahh, then it's back to cheese and crackers it is.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:01 AM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
I would just like to express my enjoyment reading your posts about the variety of dishes you prepare for your mom and dad...

Ross
Thanks--I try to provide variety within the scope of my Dad's limited palette and what my Mom will eat--finger food (and stuff she can digest--I'm just glad she gained some the weight back she had lost from when she was in hospital and before I got here). This has been a cooking challenge for me. It has also been an emotional challenge coping with this without my deceased brother.

I made wild rice turkey soup this week but for my Mom, I strained it so she could just drink the broth. Soup is hard for her to eat, but if I strain it and put it in a glass she can hold, she can drink that. Dad, on the other hand, wants the veggies and wild rice.

Not to diss long-term care facilities, but I know my Mom is getting better meals here than she would in care.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:58 AM   #57
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I feel washed out all the time! But I seem to lean more toward comfort foods. The trouble is most comfort foods don't fit into the guidelines in my signature. So I improvise. Common items are soup, chicken strips with baked wedges, sandwiches, stir-fry veggies, rice noodles, etc.
oh i hear that! but this reminds me. So I found some gluten free (soba based) ramen noodles. So I guess that's a go-to, but I need to have more with it. I'm usually too lazy to toast sesame seeds, but that's a good option. Oh! Actually, I got the tahini, so in that goes, but it's pretty bleh! by itself. Other times, when I have them, I'll throw in some edamame.

And yes, beans in general are a good quick meal. Canned beans, just dump them into a pot and simmer till warm. Add red chilli powder, pinch of salt (beans are usually no-salt added) and maybe a few other spices, but the salt and chilli are enough. And voila!

Tuna sandwiches used to be good, but I don't eat the regular bread and the GF stuff is usually frozen which takes too much time. :P Although, my version of PB&J or just J toast has been used lately. Defrost/toast bread on the frying pan and spread the tahini on one side and jelly on the other. As said before, this is where the tahini flavor is not so great...so another option is to fry up an egg.

(was supposed to use tuna to seque into the next part. oops! :P)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
My fall-back is salmon fillets. If not that, it is chicken breasts. We live too far away for take-out or delivery. I usually thaw the salmon (takes about 15 minutes), pat them dry, rub with Dijon mustard, lemon or lime juice, salt and pepper. Put them under the broiler for 6 minutes, flip, cook for another 6 minutes and dot with butter and lemon/lime juice when serving. Side of green veggie and wild rice or mashed potatoes. Side salad for my Dad, fruit for my Mom. Or, I rub with mustard and then sprinkle with Tamari sauce and some garlic paste.
yeah, salmon or tilapia pan fried with cajun spice or just a mix of spices, with side of rice or greens is an easy meal too. Actually, mashed taters sound so good right now. Thinking we're gonna have to get the local ones (so tasty) and then I'll make my special gravy here pretty soon. Hubby started asking again. I know he loves this one. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
di, when I don't feel like cooking and cleaning up,
I go freezer diving.
I mean to say that I always have some sort of dish that I've made
previously and I ALWAYS make too much.
didn't quote the whole thing, but this is a great idea! I've actually wanted to do this, but the problem is, we usually don't have any extra when I cook! lol There is one dish that I don't really know how to make, but hubby wants and knows and this one is usually prepared in bulk. So might be doing that soon. We will see. He obviously needs to be there and it's not always easy coordinating the time. hehe
Old 06-04-2017, 10:56 AM   #58
Sous Chef

Most times when I don't feel like cooking, I will do a quick cucumber and tomato mix and a sandwich. Or rolled up lunch meat in Bibb lettuce leaves and a cucumber with a package of nabs. Cereal makes my blood sugar go up too much.
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:04 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Mac and cheese on top of the stove. Cook the macaroni in the milk, when it is done add cheese and any other stuff you want. Compliments of ATK. Fast and easy.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:39 AM   #60
Senior Cook

That's a really good option! Thanks for posting it.

di reston

Tags
cook, other