"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning
Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #11
Sous Chef

The chances that they adhere to any dietary restrictions based on their religion are slim, to put it mildly. If they did, they would most likely let any hosts know that beforehand.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3 View Post
The chances that they adhere to any dietary restrictions based on their religion are slim, to put it mildly. If they did, they would most likely let any hosts know that beforehand.
You beat me to it, suzyQ! Truth to tell, super-religious Jews who keep strictly Kosher would not be likely to accept your invitation to dinner. But if they did, they would give you a list of their do's and dont's. the fact that they didn't means they probably will eat whatever you serve. However, if you want to be on the safe side, you could call and ask.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
You beat me to it, suzyQ! Truth to tell, super-religious Jews who keep strictly Kosher would not be likely to accept your invitation to dinner. But if they did, they would give you a list of their do's and dont's. the fact that they didn't means they probably will eat whatever you serve. However, if you want to be on the safe side, you could call and ask.
Personally, I would not make that call. If I did, I would call everyone who is invited and simply ask if they have any food situation that should be noted. I would not mention religion at all.

But IMO, it is best just to go ahead and plan a menu that sounds appealing in general.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #14
Cook

My sister-in-law's boyfriend keeps kosher. When he eats with us, we usually have a vegetarian option or serve fish.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3 View Post
That was my thought on this whole thing.
What if you didn't know their religion, or didn't know if someone might be a recovering alcoholic and had planned on serving adult beverages? The fact that they accepted without restrictions is good enough for me to plan on something that would appeal to most people's tastes.
Who knows, maybe they will show up with their own dish to eat if they are of the strict variety.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:10 PM   #16
Head Chef

Seems to me that the last few posts in this thread only prove the point. If you have guests coming who may or may not have specific dietary needs, give a call and ask. I don't think you would offend anybody.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:16 PM   #17
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
Seems to me that the last few posts in this thread only prove the point. If you have guests coming who may or may not have specific dietary needs, give a call and ask. I don't think you would offend anybody.
I totally agree. There is no reason to question a members religious preferences or the veracity of their statements in this regard. We each have our own value sets and here on this forum we can be tolerant of these differences. To that end several posts have been removed from this thread. Please be kind to each other.

Since the original question seems to be answered, this thread is closed.