"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 09-13-2011, 12:39 AM   #1
Cook

What would you make for breakfast if time wasn't an issue?

If I had infinite time in the mornings I would almost certainly make a huge breakfast every morning. I'm going to be making it a commitment to myself that one day a week I'm going to make an elaborate breakfast. It's something I really miss from my younger years when time was a non-issue.

So if you were to simply set aside "as long as it's going to take" for breakfast, what would you prepare?

*not actually a hero
NotActuallyaHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:11 AM   #2
Executive Chef

great idea for a thread, rob! matter of fact, i have no morning time constraints. first i'm thinking of breakfast in this way, though. not elaborate, but a special breakfast treat for me might be spanakopita, or chimichangas, or crab cakes. i need more time to consider this question though--gonna leave it right here for now.... :)

Old 09-13-2011, 01:50 AM   #3
Cook

For the first week I'm making up a nice big omelette loaded up with fresh garden picked veggies, along with some homemade oven baked potatoes (as a substitute for "homefries.")

But the thing is, I certainly want to get a bit more creative with it. When I was younger I did a lot of breakfast sandwich type things - you know, like english muffins with some egg and bacon on top. It's great stuff, but I mean, if I'm going to do this for a while I better really do it right.

I'm actually considering making some fresh pasta and loading it with scrambled egg. Scrambled egg ravioli is a thing, right?

*not actually a hero
NotActuallyaHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:05 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotActuallyaHero View Post
For the first week I'm making up a nice big omelette loaded up with fresh garden picked veggies, along with some homemade oven baked potatoes (as a substitute for "homefries.")

But the thing is, I certainly want to get a bit more creative with it. When I was younger I did a lot of breakfast sandwich type things - you know, like english muffins with some egg and bacon on top. It's great stuff, but I mean, if I'm going to do this for a while I better really do it right.

I'm actually considering making some fresh pasta and loading it with scrambled egg. Scrambled egg ravioli is a thing, right?
fresh pasta, yesss!! now you're really getting this breakfast thing rocking and rolling, rob! apple fritters popped into my head just now, but i have never made them before....
Old 09-13-2011, 03:19 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Well, I'm Italian, but if time wasn't a issue I would prepare and devour a generous full english breakfast... mmmhhhhhhhh it taste goooood!!!!
And I miss it. Cant get the right sausages here in Italy.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:11 AM   #6
Master Chef

I'm with Luca!

I enjoy a full country breakfast prepared using seasonal ingredients, with meat, fruits, vegetables, fresh baked goods,etc.

In my case it is not about the time. I simply do not keep many of the things on hand anymore.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:10 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I usually do make myself a big breakfast every week. Typically on Sunday. With smaller breakfasts throughout the week.
I'm not sure if this breakfast would take any more time, as I've never made either dish before, but if I was to go all out on a breakfast it would be buffet style. And that would include Eggs Benedict and Lobster Newburg. I remember having these two items at a breakfast buffet years ago and I was in heaven. I would also cook a couple of plump sausages.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:25 AM   #8
Executive Chef

oooh, bacon, ham and onion filled pirogies--and i would eat eight or ten of them on the spot! then, i would rest for a little while--forty minutes or so, and eat two or three more! :)
Old 09-13-2011, 06:32 AM   #9
Head Chef

when i had kids in school (all grown up now) The night before I would have the eggs all scrambled in a dish in the fridge, or french toast mixture all made up. Bacon and sauage were partially cooked and then finished in the am. Worked like a charm. But the most requested was cereal, bagel w/cream cheese, I always had homemade muffin assortments. Instant flavored oatmeal was always on the menu selection

On the weekend I would make a weeks worth of assorted muffins, corn, bluberry,choc chip, carrot, apple and oatmeal. then freeze them, take out night beore a small selection. The daughter would want one for her lunch and take a frozen one to keep her lunch cool while it thawed.
I also would make pancake & waffle on the weekend and make alot of extras, then put a serving size in ziploc bags then if pancakes or waffles were wanted in the am , just microwave for a few seconds and hot cakes were served.

Now my breakfast is a container of yogurt or a bagel.
weekends breakfst is at a resturant.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Full english - bacon, sausages, eggs (poached for preference), whole tinned tomatoes (baked beans for dh), fried mushrooms, leftover potatoes thinly sliced fried up - or even better leftover baked potatoes thickly sliced and fried (used to go to a cafe that did this and they were fantastic), white toast/butter/blackcurrant jam, tea and orange juice.

Or boil in the bag kippers with thick sliced white bread and loads of butter (I rarely eat cos it makes the house stink and no one else eats them).

Tags
breakfast