"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 09-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #91
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryDAmore View Post
I also live in the country, and driving to get something I'm out of or need, is out of the question, especially with the price of gas. I have two poly-type pantry cupboards in the basement and they are stuffed, I have a stand up freezer that is full and wire shelving where I store toilet paper, Puffs with Lotion and paper towels. I also have aluminum foil, parchment, sandwich, and storage bags.

I match coupons with the specials, and get what is on sale. Try to keep extra butter, bacon, meat, chicken, fish, veal, lamb and pork and vegetables, also sugar and flour, and pasta.

We have extra of the staples, but we still have to get things like bread and milk about every 5 days. We don't use enough to buy extra. Of course, we can get bread and milk at the gas station mini mart 2 blocks from our home if necessary. Otherwise, the grocery store is about a mile from my home. I have never lived rural. My DIL usually does her shopping on the way home from work so she doesn't have to go back out to the store. They live out a bit from civilization. LOL

Old 09-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #92
Chef Extraordinaire

I also live rural. I tend to have staples on hand. I make bread if I want bread. I rarely have milk in the house because I don't drink it and don't make "cream" sauces. I do, however, have a well-stocked freezer and have flours, yeast, dried beans, rices, etc. on hand. I buy yeast in 1 lb packages, flour in 25 lb bags, and beans and rice in as large of bags as I can find (usually 8-10 lb). I could probably not go to the grocery store for at least a month just eating what is on hand in the freezers and pantry. And, the girls provide fresh eggs every day.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #93
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I also live rural. I tend to have staples on hand. I make bread if I want bread. I rarely have milk in the house because I don't drink it and don't make "cream" sauces. I do, however, have a well-stocked freezer and have flours, yeast, dried beans, rices, etc. on hand. I buy yeast in 1 lb packages, flour in 25 lb bags, and beans and rice in as large of bags as I can find (usually 8-10 lb). I could probably not go to the grocery store for at least a month just eating what is on hand in the freezers and pantry. And, the girls provide fresh eggs every day.

My DIL does not bake bread. In fact, she gets home so late from work that my step-son actually does the cooking. I grew up in the city, but my mother made everything home made since she was a stay at home Mom. My father was sick and was on disability so our income was just a once-a-month check. She bought all the groceries at the beginning of the month to make sure we had food all month. We didn't even buy milk. She got powdered milk from the government program for low income families, so that is all the milk we ever had. So she stocked up every month like you do, even though the store was in our town. I can relate to what you do.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #94
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't stock up every month. With the garden, in the summer I eat mostly vegetarian because there is so much to eat.

Often I just need a couple of things (fresh limes and lemons are most often on my list) so if I have to go into town, I will stop and get those. Usually I walk out of the store having spent less than $10.

I also stockpile vinegars and oils when they are on special. I use a lot of both.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #95
Assistant Cook

We started checking the flyers when my wife got let go a few years back and were amazed by how much money we saved by just shopping around. When she got back to work we carried on the same way. There are half a dozen supermarkets within a 5km radius of us, so Saturday morning is flyer & food time.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #96
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismcphee View Post
We started checking the flyers when my wife got let go a few years back and were amazed by how much money we saved by just shopping around. When she got back to work we carried on the same way. There are half a dozen supermarkets within a 5km radius of us, so Saturday morning is flyer & food time.
When the market slowed down in 2008, my monthly income dropped substantially. I plan what I eat based on what is on special and watch for specials on turkey, pork, etc. at certain times of the year. Around Canadian T'giving, turkeys are on the list and put in the freezer (we eat a turkey a month from October until April/May). Pork usually goes on special in the fall and January, so we stock up then.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #97
Sous Chef

For us, it's impossible to hoard in a 900 sq ft condo. The only things we buy from the grocery stores are things like toilet paper, foil wrap, milk, things like that. Fruits and veg we get at the local Saturday morning farmers market and meat we get from a local farm. It may cost a bit more but the quality is better and we know what we're getting. Plus, we are supporting our local farmers.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #98
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismcphee View Post

That's why we check the flyers, too. And I started going to Aldi's, a discount grocery that sells mostly off brands. By trial and error, you find out which things are the same as the name brands and which aren't. My husband eats a lot of oatmeal and says their off brand oatmeal is better than Quaker. There are certain things that I always buy there. For example, eggs, butter and sugar are $1 less there than at the regular grocer. Also, they have great prices on fresh produce. All these stores are within 2 miles from my home. I think when you have lived rural all your lives you are used to shopping in such a way that you don't have to go very often. Since I have always lived in the city, or in the suburbs, I am accustomed to having everything nearby. I can be in the middle of making something and send my husband to the store for something I'm missing. He's back in 15 minutes or less. It's all in what you are used to.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #99
Executive Chef

I don't "hoard" out of any necessity like the rurals. I have Ralphs, Von's, Albertson's, Walmart, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods Market within short driving distance (all but the last two within 5 minutes drive).

I just like hanging around home. I see no reason to have to dress up and go out in public (even for 20 minutes) just to buy food. If I see a good buy on something I stock up. If it's something I use often I stock up. (If there was a shortage of toilet paper I'm good until at least mid October.)

I figure if it's something you use all the time, buy a bunch and put it on the shelf or in the pantry, so that you don't have to keep putting it on the shopping list and buying it again and again and over and over.

If it adds 1 minute to my shopping trip to buy 1 package of toilet paper, it takes 1 minute to buy 10 packages of toilet paper. Multiply that over all the repeat stuff you buy and I spend a whole lot less time in the supermarket than ordinary people.

Who likes shopping in supermarkets? My goal is to minimize my time spent buying food. Plus it's convenient and allows a lot of flexibility if you can just cook dinners out of your stores rather than having to drive to the store.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #100
Chef Extraordinaire

Ordinary people? lol

I also stock up on good buys, but I don't hoard.

Tags
food