"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 09-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #111
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have plenty of precooked rice and pasta in the freezer, they just need warming up and I have a propane camp stove that can do that. If I still had my Weber it would be kept going for heating up food and water, too.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #112
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have plenty of precooked rice and pasta in the freezer, they just need warming up and I have a propane camp stove that can do that. If I still had my Weber it would be kept going for heating up food and water, too.

That's a good idea. Do you freeze rice and pasta on a regular basis? How long does it keep in the freezer? Even for someone who doesn't normally do this, it's a good idea to think about when you hear from the weather forcast that a storm might cause a long power outage.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #113
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
In cases like this, hoarding food does not help unless you have food that can be eaten "as is" and doesn't need to be cooked. What would you stock up on in that instance? You could buy canned meats that are already cooked, you would just have to eat them at room temp. What else is there?
Although I (a rural resident) never had to go weeks with no electricity ---- four days was the max-----we had propane for the stove. If only an electric stove, (as happened another place/time) we drug out the camp stove and the propane canisters and were able to cook very simple meals and boil water for coffee.

We placed it on the useless stove but always made sure there was good ventilation.

Having a camp stove and a supply of canisters would probably be a good idea to have around even if a person never went camping----- in case of any emergency.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #114
Head Chef

We've been weeks without power.

Cooking the food isn't usually a problem.

There is always the charcoal grill and in the winter the woodstove is usually fired up.

Keeping the frozen stuff frozen is the hardest part.

The generator works but it's an annoyance and the expense adds up.

Guess I need to look into canning.

Hoarding is buying more then you'll use or need.

(Well except for toilet paper that is.)

Being prepared for the unexpected and taking advantage of sales is just common sense and the way I was raised.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #115
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
In cases like this, hoarding food does not help unless you have food that can be eaten "as is" and doesn't need to be cooked. What would you stock up on in that instance? You could buy canned meats that are already cooked, you would just have to eat them at room temp. What else is there?
Gas stove burners would still work. Ovens would not.

Gas and charcoal grills also can provide cooking options.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #116
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
That's a good idea. Do you freeze rice and pasta on a regular basis? How long does it keep in the freezer? Even for someone who doesn't normally do this, it's a good idea to think about when you hear from the weather forcast that a storm might cause a long power outage.
Only when I have extra. It goes into the regular rotation with meals since I don't cook on days I work. I do make extra going into winter since it's possible to be snowed in for a few days. But we've never lost power here for more than a few hours.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #117
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Only when I have extra. It goes into the regular rotation with meals since I don't cook on days I work. I do make extra going into winter since it's possible to be snowed in for a few days. But we've never lost power here for more than a few hours.

We haven't either. About 10 years we saw a good price on a generator and we bought it. DH has it hooked up so it's wired directly to our furnace, with a heavy duty extension cord going upstairs. Don't you know we haven't had a power outage of more than 1 hour since then? LOL The same with the snow blower. We never get more snow that a couple inches anymore.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #118
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
We haven't either. About 10 years we saw a good price on a generator and we bought it. DH has it hooked up so it's wired directly to our furnace, with a heavy duty extension cord going upstairs. Don't you know we haven't had a power outage of more than 1 hour since then? LOL The same with the snow blower. We never get more snow that a couple inches anymore.
Yeah, I put the snow shovel in storage, a broken old broom takes care of the steps.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #119
Executive Chef

Quote:
So it isn't global warming that's affecting the weather after all
Old 10-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #120
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
So it isn't global warming that's affecting the weather after all

No, it's not, but don't tell Al Gore!

Tags
food