"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning
Old 02-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #31
Senior Cook
Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
Originally Posted by Love2cook11 View Post
^Oh no I'm sorry I wasn't clear...that is NOT my garage...but if my family were bigger I could see the benefit and would try to get a stockpile around that size...using coupons most of that stuff was probably free or very cheap.

FH would probably have me committed if I pulled that!

Okay now it makes a lot more sense!

cmarchibald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:52 PM   #32
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I don't know exactly how long they will be good, however we had a discussion here recently about how occasionally a pot of beans or split peas will never cook up no matter how long they are cooked. The conclusion was that they were "too old". How old is too old? Beats me.

And remember, canned goods aren't good forever either.
I have heard there are a few options with old beans:

You can cook and freeze. Freezing helps crack the bean skin making it easier to cook until softened.

You can boil the beans for 2 minutes, then use 3/8 teaspoon of baking soda per cup of beans and soak. Rinse before cooking.

Pressure cooking helps get old beans cooked in less time.

Or you can grind the beans and use as flour, or to thicken soups or sauces. Cracked beans will cook in less time.

n2cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #33
Senior Cook
thanks i will remember that, i just picked up another 50# of rice and 2 cases of canned corn and beans.
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:38 AM   #34
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Love2cook11 View Post
Lol I rather refer to it as stockpiling.

I use coupons religiously so when I come across a good deal, I stock up. I mostly keep processed foods that I normally wouldn't pay for and stock up when I can get them for free. Right now I have chips (~8 bags), candy (~15-20), canned soups and veggies (15), hot cocoa (7), organic peanut butter (5), jelly (5), cereal (6), gatorade (~40) rice, bbq sauces, ketchup, salad dressings and a few other randoms (toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, tampons) I get free after coupons so I do have a drawer full of each.

I don't overdue it only because only 2 people in my household. Although I must admit, when my family expands stockpiling like this makes more and more sen$e:

at one point I did have about 70 cans of cat food but lol Wellness is expensive and after coupons I was getting them for .25 a can...normally $1.25 so had to stock up!! When I can get cat treats and Tidy Cat free, I buy as many bags as possible so I guess I stockpile that too.

It saves me a lot of money *shrug*

thats a very impressive stash, i dont care what you want to call it but it is defined as a hoard and you are a hoarder.
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
thats a very impressive stash, i dont care what you want to call it but it is defined as a hoard and you are a hoarder.
In your opinion.

When stocking up to save money and you have plenty of storage space, I'd call that thrifty.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:23 AM   #36
Executive Chef
I don't call it that. I just take advantage of the sales and bogos.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #37
Senior Cook
My experience with peas and beans. I store them in the freezer to extend shelf life.
LAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #38
Head Chef
Hoarding has a negative connotation.
It has 'spin'.
Prepper also has a negative connotation. More spin.

I applaud the efforts of those that are frugal and plan ahead!
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #39
Sous Chef
The largest volume we ever purchase in is a "Wholesale" sized package from BJ's. So 3-packs of Ketchup, or 12-packs of paper towels, etc.

We probably keep 5-pounds of AP flour on hand, half a dozen boxes of pasta, and a couple pounds of 4-5 different types of rice. A few pounds of cornmeal... basically enough to belt out 3-4 recipes based on a particular staple.

Meat and produce we almost always buy as needed for maximum freshness. The exception is some preserved items such as jams and canned tomatoes which we might buy half a dozen of to have on hand (the jam we buy multiples of because it's only available a few months of the year from a local farm).

I think keeping a pantry is a great idea, but certainly anything can be taken to an extreme.
Nick ~ "Egg whites are good for a lot of things; lemon meringue pie, angel food cake, and clogging up radiators." - MacGyver
Nicholas Mosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I like to have some stuff stockpiled. I buy in quantity at Costco and when stuff is on special.

I remember the Cuban Missile Crisis. We sailed through with only milk running out. The shelves in the grocery stores were absolutely bare. My mum had a reasonable stockpile. Also, a friend of mine had to be prepared to go several weeks without shopping every spring. The river would flood her road. Luckily, she got milk and eggs helicoptered in because she had kids. But, all kinds of things can happen to keep you from getting food.

We bought this:
right after the 1998 ice storm. We were without power for eight days and our stove is electric. It uses propane, so we can use it indoors. It has come in handy a few times.

May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote