"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 02-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #41
Senior Cook

I think you have alot of diapers but they are neatly stored. (Not what I would call a hoarder). My pantry is very very full of canned and bottled and boxed items. My fridge is full and my freezer is loaded. I am prepared for any type of food I care to cook. I love to go to the pantry when I decide to make a cheesecake or some Cuban steak or other homemade items. No trips to the store. Makes it fun and not a pain to rush out to cook for company too. When I travel, I pick up food items not available in my area. My pantry reflects that. Dukes Mayonnaise, Goya products for Cuban cooking and White Lily flour. (I cant find those items around here.) Nothing is outdated and that preparedness allows me to create whatever I am in the mood for in the kitchen.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:25 PM   #42
Executive Chef

I have to tell you, this was a fun thread to read. I have a pantry in the kitchen, but had to build a pantry in the basement under the stairs so that I could buy in bulk at Sams. I also baught a freezer for the same reason, and that is in the basement. My camping gear (with camp stove, etc.) is also in the basement as is my spare bedroom suite. My guests say that they could live down there, but no, I am not a hoarder.

By the way, love2cook11, you are not a hoarder because your things are too neatly stored. Have you seen those TV shows about hoarders???

Old 02-23-2011, 06:26 AM   #43
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
By the way, love2cook11, you are not a hoarder because your things are too neatly stored. Have you seen those TV shows about hoarders???
That's exactly how I feel about it too.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #44
Senior Cook

I think the only thing I hoard is beans and rice. I see them at whole foods and I always say that I will use them to make an awesome, nutritious dish. I never have time, therefore I have rice and beans all the time.

//www.lowcarbgrub.com
megamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #45
Master Chef

OK, I think I've looked enough to be sure that I haven't answered this before. Now, when I lived in Florida, I was near 3 sisters, their husbands, my parents, and the children. The married sisters had in-laws. All were inclined to show up for a Sunday or holiday dinner without notice. I kept a full-closet pantry and one wall of a two car garage (Looked much like the photgraphed one, except instead of bottles and jars of stuff, there were a lot of bags and sealed cannisters of things), and I had a chest freezer of meat that I'd bought on sale. Now there are only two of us, and I no longer have a chest freezer, it is just the top of the fridge. But still, hubby needs me to help him if he needs to go there. You can take out one tray of ice cubes or one portion of a frozen meal, and ..... DUCK! My husband, though, is in charge of the pantry. It is a cabinet that is 13" deep, 55" high, and 40" wide, and partially built into the ground. In the winter it is literally refridgerator-cold. The bottom few shelves have canned and other packaged goods, the top shelf holds our Chinese rice china set. When we have wine, it gets a half-shelf. But, 'though I've never done it, I could safely use it as a fridge annex. I can't store peanut or olive oil in it during the winter months, they solidify.

Although I don't have as much food stockpiled as I did when I lived near my relatives, I'm still pretty well stocked. I don't think I qualify as being an LDS person, we could, if we had to, feed ourselves for several months, and maybe help out a neighbor or three.

For some reason I hate it when I go to make a meal, and have to get in the car to get an ingredient. So I try to keep a good selections of the basics on hand: Frozen beef, chicken, fish, pork. Cans of the stuff I consider basic. Various types of pasta, both European and Asian. A few sauces, relishes, etc. I'm fortunate to have friends who can, and have several jars of relishes and sauces. If my entire family descended upon me right now, I could feed them (and that's a lot of people). My husband loves the luxury of being able to say, gee, Claire, I don't feel like eating this, can we have that? I like the luxury of telling him in the morning, you have X, Y, Z choices for dinner tonight, what will it be? all of this without having to get in the car, something I really don't like to do!
Old 11-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #46
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
anyone here buys and hoards food in preparation for an event or just trying to outpace inflation. also curious as to what kinds of foods you might be hoarding.
Y E S, but not because of inflation or in preparation for an event; because I'm thrifty, because I live in the country, and it's a drive to the nearest store, because gas is expensive.

I don't have the stockpile that some of you do, but I rarely run out of anything, and I always stock up on paper products. The extra goes to the food pantry.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #47
Sous Chef

I call it being thrifty. I buy when things are on sale. I shop for meat and fresh veg every day, but I like not having to pick the extras to cook with. I just go to the pantry and bam I can make a meal.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #48
Senior Cook

We don't hoard food. However, DW just brought home 6 lbs of cranberries from Costco. Not so much to beat inflation or possible shortages or any kind of event, but because they are a great price, and have a limited availability, so I break them down into 8 oz packages to enjoy throughout the year in various recipes.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #49
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm4 View Post
I call it being thrifty. I buy when things are on sale. I shop for meat and fresh veg every day, but I like not having to pick the extras to cook with. I just go to the pantry and bam I can make a meal.
That's what I'm saying! My pantry is always fully loaded. You name it, it's in there somewhere! I can find it!
Old 11-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #50
Executive Chef

repper, hoarder, stockpiler? no But, I do by certain staples at BJs and Coscos and there are only two of us in the house. So I do have well stocked shelves. I buy meat for the freezer if I can use it within 4 months. I make my own stock and tomato sauce (because I like to and I like the results!)so that is also in a freezer.

I have friends who have a family of 6 (all teens now) and they have a basement full of big box buys. It's the only way they can make ends meet.

Tags
food