"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 06-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #81
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
i am a prepper and the way things are going right now in the world ive been extemly active lately. i have lots of grains, pastas, beans, canned veggies and meats. i also have a garden that does pretty well, just wondering if anyone here buys and hoards food in preparation for an event or just trying to outpace inflation. also curious as to what kinds of foods you might be hoarding.
I could probably feed the entire street for a year if there was ever a famine!

I do tend to hoard food although I do rotate what I have. I always start out with a list when I go shopping but it tends to get waylaid when I see something I hadn't thought of when list-making, or at a good price. I'm a sucker for three-fers and bogofs but only if it's a product I use.

I go for things with a long 'fridge or shelf life, or cans (I have more cans of tomatoes and passata than Sainsbury's!) and stuff I can freeze either as is or after cooking..

I only use supermarkets for staples like sugar, flour, butter, cleaning products (yes, I horde them too - I was brought up on horror stories of wartime shortages of soap!) and go to the "proper" butchers for meat, the fishmonger for fresh fish and the greengrocer for fruit and veg. They may be more expensive than supermarkets but the quality is better and you get advice as well. You can't ask a supermarket display cabinet how to cook a cut of meat or how much you'll need to serve 10 guests! And when you're a regular customer you often get an extra apple or a discount on a steak or the shop keeper will suggest what is good this week.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #82
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
how long will they keep? what about lentils?
Go by the "use by" date on the package or if you buy them loose the general advice is to use them before the new seasons pulses (beans, peas, lentils) come onto the market ie not more than a year at the absolute outside.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #83
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2cook11 View Post
Lol I rather refer to it as stockpiling.

I use coupons religiously so when I come across a good deal, I stock up. I mostly keep processed foods that I normally wouldn't pay for and stock up when I can get them for free. Right now I have chips (~8 bags), candy (~15-20), canned soups and veggies (15), hot cocoa (7), organic peanut butter (5), jelly (5), cereal (6), gatorade (~40) rice, bbq sauces, ketchup, salad dressings and a few other randoms (toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, tampons) I get free after coupons so I do have a drawer full of each.

I don't overdue it only because only 2 people in my household. Although I must admit, when my family expands stockpiling like this makes more and more sen$e:

at one point I did have about 70 cans of cat food but lol Wellness is expensive and after coupons I was getting them for .25 a can...normally $1.25 so had to stock up!! When I can get cat treats and Tidy Cat free, I buy as many bags as possible so I guess I stockpile that too.

It saves me a lot of money *shrug*
Heavens to Murgatroyd...and I thought I was bad!
Old 06-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #84
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
my travel trailer we call the escape pod.I can have it loaded and on the road in an hour.
But where would you go if it was the sort of disaster/world war/end of the world scenario?

When we cleared out my grandmother's house in the 1980s we found the emergency stash of canned food she'd put in the cellar at the time of the Munich crisis in 1938. Apparently she would never allow any of it to be used, "just in case", throughout the war and even in the extended period of rationing after the end of the war it had to be kept.

Now THAT was hoarding!
Old 06-29-2013, 02:16 AM   #85
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow, that is a lot of hoarding there

If things are on a really good special, I will buy 2 or 3 of them, as long as I know we will eat them or use them by the use by dates
Old 08-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #86
Senior Cook

that is an impressive pantry!!!, maybe a little heavy on salad dressing

boneless pork but was on sale this week so i added 50#, had a $5 off a $30 purchase coupon that i used 2X which brought the price down to $1.25/lb

been noticing potatoes have been pretty high, ive gone without for a month or so now. next time i see 10# for $1 im gonna try dehydrating some
Old 08-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #87
Head Chef

Recent changes in trucking industry regulations may significantly increase the price of everything but especially food because it is heavy and often time sensitive to ship. Not even the lawmakers are sure how these changes will affect the industry because there are so many different kinds of trucking. But I have to believe that stocking up can't be a bad thing. If price increases don't come to pass (and what are the chances of that?) then we will be well prepared to stay indoors well fed and warm this winter. If prices do increase we will save some money eating out of our rotated stores. Win-win.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:40 AM   #88
Executive Chef

I tend to shop by what's on sale rather than what I'm going to use for the week. So I have a pantry in the basement that is pretty well stocked but no where near the picture shown! I read the store ads the day they come out and make a list for each store. I will go to one store on one day and the other store another day stocking up on the specials. While I'm there, I also buy the normal things I need to buy weekly such as bread and milk, or something I'm actually out of and can't wait for a sale.

When my step-children lived here, I made up a menu for the week and bought only the foods and amounts I needed for that menu. Cooking for a family I could not afford to stock up.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #89
Head Chef

Just found this thread! I prefer to think that I'm 'prepared' rather than hoarding.

My preparedness (ahem) started when we lived on a very remote ranch and going into town for a quart of milk involved a lot of driving on dirt roads, opening and shutting of ranch gates and I was able to have storage space and an extra fridge and a very large freezer.

After moving from the ranch and into an urban area I became very ill with a chronic illness and keeping extra stuff around was de rigueur because I never knew when I would feel good enough to get to the grocery. (living alone).

But I do have to admit that I've probably carried it a bit too far! Being a pack rat comes naturally to me. I just wish I could keep things as neat as love2cook! My small pantry and storage areas are a mess!
Old 09-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #90
Senior Cook

I also live in the country, and driving to get something I'm out of or need, is out of the question, especially with the price of gas. I have two poly-type pantry cupboards in the basement and they are stuffed, I have a stand up freezer that is full and wire shelving where I store toilet paper, Puffs with Lotion and paper towels. I also have aluminum foil, parchment, sandwich, and storage bags.

I match coupons with the specials, and get what is on sale. Try to keep extra butter, bacon, meat, chicken, fish, veal, lamb and pork and vegetables, also sugar and flour, and pasta.

Tags
food