Cucumber storage...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I just took mine out of the fridge. Guess what's for lunch today?

Thanks for the link, Kayelle.

Well, it look like I will be setting them on the counter next to my tomatoes that I set stem side down. The tomatoes last longer that way. Thanks to ATK for that tip. One of my favorite snacks is cukes and tomatoes sliced in rice vinegar and olive oil.

Thanks for the link Kayelle. :angel:

I've always kept them on the counter or in a basket.
No reason. Just what I've always done.
Now I have a reason. :LOL:

I do put them in the fridge sometimes before I use them because I like them cold. :yum:

Thanks for the link Kayelle. I'm sure I'm going to spend some time there.

I've always kept them on the counter or in a basket.
No reason. Just what I've always done.
Now I have a reason. :LOL:

I do put them in the fridge sometimes before I use them because I like them cold. :yum:

Thanks for the link Kayelle. I'm sure I'm going to spend some time there.

Well worth the read. I read the whole second page. Very interesting. I do need to stop buying potatoes in a five pound bag. I just don't eat enough of them to use them up. So I keep them in the bottom drawer of the fridge. Otherwise they sprout within two to three weeks. But I haven't seen and Maine or PEI loose potatoes in my grocery store. I don't like Russets. They are not what I grew up with and learned to love. :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...didn't know this about cucumbers so it is useful info. Thanks.

Since cucumbers are often used in salads, I guess placing it in the fridge for an hour or so (just to chill) would be OK though.

Wow...didn't know this about cucumbers so it is useful info. Thanks.

Since cucumbers are often used in salads, I guess placing it in the fridge for an hour or so (just to chill) would be OK though.

That would be correct.

The article clearly said..."If you do feel the need to put them in the fridge, they can tolerate up to 3 days of cold storage if they are used soon as they are removed from the refrigerator."

Well, it look like I will be setting them on the counter next to my tomatoes...
Ruh-roh Addie, not next to the tomatoes. From the link: Another factoid: Cucumbers are sensitive to ethylene gas, which is put off by some ripening fruits and vegetables. So for longest storage, don’t keep your cukes near melons, tomatoes or bananas. You gotta keep them separated! :cool:

That is a pretty interesting link Kayelle. Don't know whether I should thank you or not though - I have plenty of time-wasters of my own!

Last edited:
Ruh-roh Addie, not next to the tomatoes. From the link: Another factoid: Cucumbers are sensitive to ethylene gas, which is put off by some ripening fruits and vegetables. So for longest storage, don’t keep your cukes near melons, tomatoes or bananas. You gotta keep them separated! :cool:

That is a pretty interesting link Kayelle. Don't know whether I should thank you or not though - I have plenty of time-wasters of my own!

Cukes and tomatoes don't last long enough in my house. I think they are usually the very first foods I eat after grocery shopping. A little rice vinegar and olive oil sprinkled lightly with Italian mixed seasonings, and I have a meal. Or they go right into a cuke and tomato sandwich with mayo on artisan bread. I love fresh veggies and fruit and I eat them as soon as they come into my kitchen. The problem arises when I buy too many and can't decide which to eat first. Fresh fruit or fresh veggies. :angel:

I have at least 15 cucumbers in the house right now. Three plants are producing way more than we can eat, and the cukes from the Tasty Jade variety I have are twice as long as regular ones.

Three plants are producing way more than we can eat

Sounds like pickle time to me. ;)

My cucumbers are also doing really well this year. :clap:

But don't ask about my cabbage or broccoli. :mad: I do keep them in the fridge. Should I ???? Guess it's time to go read some more from the link. :LOL:

I might resort to that when we get back from our road trip. I'm bringing half a dozen with us and left the rest with a note to our cat sitter help herself and anyone else she wants to share them with ;-)

I'll definitely do some pickling when we get back.

How bout the "ring and run" trick?;):D

Please explain that to the stupid among us. :ermm:

If a doorbell is involved then I understand. :LOL:

We don't have that modern convenience around here. We use knockers or a good shout out to see if anyone is around.;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom