"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2018, 04:06 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
MC, your neighbors across the pan don't seem to mind eating horse meat. But then they also eat frogs that is absolutely disgusting looking creature.
Frog legs are very tasty. Believe me, it's not just the French who eat them. When I was a kid in Minnesota and Wisconsin, my friends and I hunted them in early summer, cleaned and froze them, then my friend's mom would batter and deep fry them and we would have a 4th of July frog leg feast. We saw it as a great treat. And none of us had any notable French ancestry.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:10 PM   #22
Master Chef

Hmmm, another memory....back in the day we had some campfire fried frog legs dinners that were pretty darn good. I didn't participate in the giggin', but I fried them up once they were prepped.

edit...haha...posting the same time as RP..

Old 07-12-2018, 04:28 PM   #23
Executive Chef

More different/exotic foods

There was an article a few years ago about a (revived?) trend in the Netherlands. Gourmet Water Rat -water rats are clean, living in the canals and were/are highly sought after (not the same as sewer rats). Other than that I don't remember much of the article.

Then again there is also escargot... say no more, say no more...

How about chocolate covered grasshoppers?
Beatles or their larva, aren't they consumed in Aussie land?

I live in/near horse country (well, I guess you know I was in the horse boarding business) - can you imagine my shock when I went into our local grocery store, where half the customers were running around in their jodhpurs, just come from the barn, and grabbing something for dinner before hubby got home... to see horse meat on display!

I thought they (the store) must be crazy! Does it ever sell? Obviously it does as there is always a fresh supply!

When I started raising meat chickens - I had to leave them in the freezer for a while before cooking... Just so I could forget that I butchered and dressed it.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:31 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post

edit...haha...posting the same time as RP..
and Chery!

My dad made several trips to Cuba - way back when - Just to go frog hunting. Had frozen boxes shipped back home.

I had moved out by that time and I honestly don't ever remember eating any.
That famous line... Tastes like chicken! LOL
Old 07-13-2018, 01:22 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Then again there is also escargot... say no more, say no more...

How about chocolate covered grasshoppers?
Beatles or their larva, aren't they consumed in Aussie land?
I love frogs legs and escargot, although I’ve never gigged a frog or gathered snails (I’m pretty sure the garden variety are not the ones cooked in butter and garlic, anyway).

I know that in Asia, insects are common as a food item, but I think they’re fried, not chocolate covered. The chocolate covered ones, as I understand it, are more of a Vontinental treat. I googled “chocolate covered insects” and came up with a surprising number of hits! Clearly there’s a market for them! Grasshoppers, crickets and ants seem to be the most popular. I’d try them, just to say I did, but I think I’d prefer the crunchy spiced Southeast Asian kind.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:29 AM   #26
Master Chef

I used to gig frogs when I was a kid, but had to eat them at a friends house. Nobody at home had any interest. That was a good thing, because my mother and father were horrible cooks.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:52 AM   #27
Executive Chef

I almost forgot BALUT - now there's a pretty picture if you google them.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
I know that in Asia, insects are common as a food item, but I think they’re fried, not chocolate covered. The chocolate covered ones, as I understand it, are more of a Vontinental treat. I googled “chocolate covered insects” and came up with a surprising number of hits! Clearly there’s a market for them! Grasshoppers, crickets and ants seem to be the most popular. I’d try them, just to say I did, but I think I’d prefer the crunchy spiced Southeast Asian kind.
I was in Philly last week and went into a " whole foods - like " store. Sure enough, there were 3 glass jars filled with insects for consuming. I cant remember exactly which insects they were, but it was the type of thing like when you're getting the self served grains and stuff. There were scoops there and bags to scoop them in. They were not alive. I was not surprised, just not expecting it.
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:03 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
I almost forgot BALUT - now there's a pretty picture if you google them.
I just looked up balut. How absolutely revolting!
Old 07-13-2018, 05:08 PM   #30
Executive Chef

yup, I'd have to be really starving before that! LOL