Farm raised rabbit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MC, your neighbors across the pan don't seem to mind eating horse meat. But then they also eat frogs that is absolutely disgusting looking creature.

Frog legs are very tasty. Believe me, it's not just the French who eat them. When I was a kid in Minnesota and Wisconsin, my friends and I hunted them in early summer, cleaned and froze them, then my friend's mom would batter and deep fry them and we would have a 4th of July frog leg feast. We saw it as a great treat. And none of us had any notable French ancestry.

Hmmm, another memory....back in the day we had some campfire fried frog legs dinners that were pretty darn good. :) I didn't participate in the giggin', :ermm: but I fried them up once they were prepped.

edit...haha...posting the same time as RP..

Last edited:
More different/exotic foods

There was an article a few years ago about a (revived?) trend in the Netherlands. Gourmet Water Rat -water rats are clean, living in the canals and were/are highly sought after (not the same as sewer rats). Other than that I don't remember much of the article.

Then again there is also escargot... say no more, say no more...

How about chocolate covered grasshoppers?
Beatles or their larva, aren't they consumed in Aussie land?

I live in/near horse country (well, I guess you know I was in the horse boarding business) - can you imagine my shock when I went into our local grocery store, where half the customers were running around in their jodhpurs, just come from the barn, and grabbing something for dinner before hubby got home... to see horse meat on display!

I thought they (the store) must be crazy! Does it ever sell? Obviously it does as there is always a fresh supply!

When I started raising meat chickens - I had to leave them in the freezer for a while before cooking... Just so I could forget that I butchered and dressed it.

edit...haha...posting the same time as RP..

and Chery!

My dad made several trips to Cuba - way back when - Just to go frog hunting. Had frozen boxes shipped back home.

I had moved out by that time and I honestly don't ever remember eating any.
That famous line... Tastes like chicken! LOL

Then again there is also escargot... say no more, say no more...

How about chocolate covered grasshoppers?
Beatles or their larva, aren't they consumed in Aussie land?

I love frogs legs and escargot, although I’ve never gigged a frog or gathered snails (I’m pretty sure the garden variety are not the ones cooked in butter and garlic, anyway).

I know that in Asia, insects are common as a food item, but I think they’re fried, not chocolate covered. The chocolate covered ones, as I understand it, are more of a Vontinental treat. I googled “chocolate covered insects” and came up with a surprising number of hits! Clearly there’s a market for them! Grasshoppers, crickets and ants seem to be the most popular. I’d try them, just to say I did, but I think I’d prefer the crunchy spiced Southeast Asian kind.

I used to gig frogs when I was a kid, but had to eat them at a friends house. Nobody at home had any interest. That was a good thing, because my mother and father were horrible cooks.

I know that in Asia, insects are common as a food item, but I think they’re fried, not chocolate covered. The chocolate covered ones, as I understand it, are more of a Vontinental treat. I googled “chocolate covered insects” and came up with a surprising number of hits! Clearly there’s a market for them! Grasshoppers, crickets and ants seem to be the most popular. I’d try them, just to say I did, but I think I’d prefer the crunchy spiced Southeast Asian kind.

I was in Philly last week and went into a " whole foods - like " store. Sure enough, there were 3 glass jars filled with insects for consuming. I cant remember exactly which insects they were, but it was the type of thing like when you're getting the self served grains and stuff. There were scoops there and bags to scoop them in. They were not alive. I was not surprised, just not expecting it.

Hi c21cg! Welcome to DC!

You must have a few favourite recipes. I've never cooked rabbit, have been slowly looking at recipes but have just never dived in yet.

Perhaps you could post one or two (not here but in the appropriate place). Would love to see them!

Hi c21cg! Welcome to DC!

You must have a few favourite recipes. I've never cooked rabbit, have been slowly looking at recipes but have just never dived in yet.

Perhaps you could post one or two (not here but in the appropriate place). Would love to see them!
Who are you responding to? I don't see any posts with that user name.

Perhaps the poster deleted it? That user had one post here saying they raised rabbits for meat and were from Texas. Or did Admin have a problem with this person? At any rate the post is gone! How strange. LOL did you think I was inventing something/someone GG? :LOL:

Believe me, I know. Eaten plenty of them. Still an ugly looking creature
There are ugly frogs, certainly, but there are also beautiful ones (not of the eating variety). Do a google image search of “tropical frogs.”

And so many people collect frogs, you know, statuettes and sugar dishes and froggy banks and the like, that there must be something about them!

I OD'd on frogs legs..had them at a restaurant in Quebec City and loved them so I ruined it all by ordering a case from one of my suppliers and bringing them home and cooking up a feast..some times too much of a good thing is a bad thing..

There are ugly frogs, certainly, but there are also beautiful ones (not of the eating variety). Do a google image search of “tropical frogs.”

And so many people collect frogs, you know, statuettes and sugar dishes and froggy banks and the like, that there must be something about them!

I know.

Karen inherited some arrow frogs, aka poison dart frogs from our daughter. We were vending at the National Reptile Breeders show and the vendor next to us that year was selling them. They are not poisonous in captivity. Unlike venomous reptiles where the venom is modified saliva, the poison is thought to be a byproduct of what the frogs eat in the wild.

And they were pretty cool to handle as well. Even though you weren't supposed to handle them much, you had to at least catch them to take them out of the cage when you cleaned it. They were cool and smooth to the touch, kind of like touching high quality vinyl fabric. She had a neon blue with black spots, and a reddish-orange, black, and blue one. They were cute. The only bad thing about them was I had to constantly keep 2 batches of fruit flies going for them to eat in case 1 batch decided to die for whatever reason, and some always got out when you opened the bags to feed the frogs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom