"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2018, 12:37 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Farm raised rabbit

This a recipe that requires 1 farmyard raised rabbit - wild won't do - that's very popular in Italy, especially in the Italian Western Riviera. It's truly delicious. The thing that appeals to me is that there aren't very many ingredients:
1 large rabbit, jointed
1 large onion
equal quantities of fresh sage, bay leaves and fresh rosemary
80 grams of 80 taggiasche olives
2 spoonsful of pine nuts
250 ml light white wine
EVOO

Place the rabbit pieces in a frying pan,nothing else, on low, to draw the juices out.When the juices dry out remove the rabbit pieces and rinse the pan. Throw the juices away.
Put 1 - 2 tbsp, and add the onion and garlic, and then the pine nuts and the herbs. Cook on a low heat for 50-60 mins, adding the stock a little at a time. After 30 mins, add the olives, and when they are soft, and the sauce is reduced a bit by half, serve

The Ligurian olives are small, black, soft, and fruity vis ŗ vis other olives, and this recipe requires such similar, in olive oil and not brine.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:48 AM   #2
Sous Chef

I’ve always wondered why the Americans and Europeans are horrified at the Asian tradition of raising dogs for meat and consuming them, but glorify cooked rabbit as a delicacy.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:51 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
I’ve always wondered why the Americans and Europeans are horrified at the Asian tradition of raising dogs for meat and consuming them, but glorify cooked rabbit as a delicacy.
Don’t get me wrong, raising dogs for food isn’t something I support. It’s not even something I’m comfortable with. I’m just saying, how can you make an argument against dogs as food while you’re dining on braised rabbit?
Old 03-21-2018, 08:21 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Donít get me wrong, raising dogs for food isnít something I support. Itís not even something Iím comfortable with. Iím just saying, how can you make an argument against dogs as food while youíre dining on braised rabbit?
Cultural differences.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:09 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Cultural differences.
Then why do Americans and Europeans advocate for the elimination of the dog-for-food industry in Korea? Shouldn’t we all just mind our own business while eating our rabbits and goat? “We don’t eat dogs, that’s disgusting! So you shouldn’t eat dogs either,” is a very narrow point of view. And Koreans aren’t going around advertising “try some dog thigh in your next stew! You’ll love it.”

And what about monkeys? They are consumed regularly in Southeast Asia with no moral outrage from anywhere else in the world. I do understand that a lot of the outrage is over the way dogs are raised for food, I’m right in line with those people, but shouldn’t we be taking care of our own treatment of livestock before we worry about practices halfway round the world?

I’m playing devil’s advocate here. I could no sooner eat dog meat than I could eat dog poop. The very thought is repugnant.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:56 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't know. There's a lot of information here if you're really interested.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_...in_South_Korea
Old 03-21-2018, 04:13 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
This a recipe that requires 1 farmyard raised rabbit - wild won't do - that's very popular in Italy, especially in the Italian Western Riviera. It's truly delicious. The thing that appeals to me is that there aren't very many ingredients:
1 large rabbit, jointed
1 large onion
equal quantities of fresh sage, bay leaves and fresh rosemary
80 grams of 80 taggiasche olives
2 spoonsful of pine nuts
250 ml light white wine
EVOO

Place the rabbit pieces in a frying pan,nothing else, on low, to draw the juices out.When the juices dry out remove the rabbit pieces and rinse the pan. Throw the juices away.
Put 1 - 2 tbsp, and add the onion and garlic, and then the pine nuts and the herbs. Cook on a low heat for 50-60 mins, adding the stock a little at a time. After 30 mins, add the olives, and when they are soft, and the sauce is reduced a bit by half, serve

The Ligurian olives are small, black, soft, and fruity vis ŗ vis other olives, and this recipe requires such similar, in olive oil and not brine.

di reston

di - Is that oil or broth for doing the onion and garlic? I didn't realize rabbit would have so much liquid. Having never done rabbit (another on my to do list) I can only go by how they look at the grocer's. Rather dry looking.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:10 PM   #8
Sous Chef

The method is: fry off the rabbit pieces, then add the onions and garlic and lower the heat. SautŤ this and when the onions start to get soft, add the black olives. The olives are the real ingredient that make this dish, together with the pine nuts. Then add your white wine and cook on a low heat until the meat is tender and comes off the bones. That's when it's ready. A little fresh rosemary enhances the flavours. The juices are an important element with this, and they're delicous mopped up withy rustic bread.

di reston

di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:04 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Donít get me wrong, raising dogs for food isnít something I support. Itís not even something Iím comfortable with. Iím just saying, how can you make an argument against dogs as food while youíre dining on braised rabbit?
Are you vegan? I don't eat farmed rabbit because most of the stuff that gets into supermarkets here comes from China and lives in disgusting conditions when being fattened.

At least a wild rabbit has a good life until the last coup de gras. In England they can ruin crops. A friend of mine has a gun (yes, that is unusual in UK - He's ex-army and currently in the territorials so he knows what he's doing). He has a licence for it in order to shoot rabbits for local farmers who'd rather have a good shot to kill the rabbits humanely than do it themselves and not make clean kills. He sells the corpses to a local butcher so the rabbits don't die in vain.

A wild rabbit might be a bit tougher than a farmed one and need a different type of cooking.

In 1953 the government allowed the artificial introduction myxomatosis, a very unpleasant rabbit disease, which rarely killed quickly. They gradually developed some degree of immunity but there is still the odd small break out
Old 07-09-2018, 04:01 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Are you vegan? I don't eat farmed rabbit because most of the stuff that gets into supermarkets here comes from China and lives in disgusting conditions when being fattened.

At least a wild rabbit has a good life until the last coup de gras. In England they can ruin crops. A friend of mine has a gun (yes, that is unusual in UK - He's ex-army and currently in the territorials so he knows what he's doing). He has a licence for it in order to shoot rabbits for local farmers who'd rather have a good shot to kill the rabbits humanely than do it themselves and not make clean kills. He sells the corpses to a local butcher so the rabbits don't die in vain.

A wild rabbit might be a bit tougher than a farmed one and need a different type of cooking.

In 1953 the government allowed the artificial introduction myxomatosis, a very unpleasant rabbit disease, which rarely killed quickly. They gradually developed some degree of immunity but there is still the odd small break out
No, I’m not a vegan, not even a vegetarian, although I seldom eat beef or pork. I do love my chicken and fish though, and eggs and milk products are absolute essentials in my kitchen. I guess that makes me guilty of the egregiously inhumane treatment and slaughter of millions of animals, not to mention a major contributor to global warming and the country’s carbon footprint.

And I’ve eaten some strictly verboten items, from whale meat to shark fins, although I had no idea what the soup was at our hosted Chinese feast until it was finished. I’ve never eaten that again, but not out of concerns for the ecology; it simply wasn’t very good at all, definitely not good enough to kill millions of sharks for. The whale meat was actually quite good, like very lean steak with a seafood umami quality. I imagine you can guess in which country I had this delicacy; and it is indeed a delicacy, even in Japan, whose merciless and cruel policies regarding whales I wholly condemn. It is very expensive, and in the few restaurants it’s served, it’s in very small quantities.

I also had rabbit once, again in Japan, but in a French restaurant. And again, I was not aware it was rabbit until the meal was over. I would never knowingly eat rabbit for the same reason I would never eat dog; to me, they are humans’ companions, to be cherished, not sautťed. I’m sure there are some who feel the same way about fowl, be it chicken, duck, or goose. I’ll bet there are several aquarium enthusiasts who refrain from pescatarian dishes for the same reason.

Perhaps my thinking is hypocritical, perhaps just confused. I won’t try to defend it, especially here, where conversation is about food and not culinary politics. And I gladly cater to vegan or vegetarian guests for whom I cook, as well as those who are gluten-free, or allergic to peanuts or shellfish or any of the other dozen or so food allergies that have cropped up in recent years. Kosher is a bit more difficult to accommodate, as not only the food has to be kosher; the cookware in which it’s prepared and the utensils used in preparation, and the dishes in which it is served must also be kosher as well, and if there is anything my kitchen is not, it’s kosher!