"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3
Freezing butternut squash for soup

I am 8 months pregnant and am in the process of freezing a bunch of stuff so my husband can cook easily after the baby is born. There is a butternut squash recipe soup we love, and I have a fresh squash that I want to cube and freeze. I've never frozen butternut squash before, so I'm wondering if I need to blanch it first or just cut it up and freeze it, or if I should go ahead and cook and puree is like I do fresh pumpkin since I'm using it in a soup.

FYI, the recipe calls to cook the cubed squash with other ingredients before pureeing. If I puree the squash in order to freeze it, do you think it will change the flavor of the recipe since I will be changing the way it is made?

__________________

__________________
queenrakle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenrakle View Post
I am 8 months pregnant and am in the process of freezing a bunch of stuff so my husband can cook easily after the baby is born. There is a butternut squash recipe soup we love, and I have a fresh squash that I want to cube and freeze. I've never frozen butternut squash before, so I'm wondering if I need to blanch it first or just cut it up and freeze it, or if I should go ahead and cook and puree is like I do fresh pumpkin since I'm using it in a soup.

FYI, the recipe calls to cook the cubed squash with other ingredients before pureeing. If I puree the squash in order to freeze it, do you think it will change the flavor of the recipe since I will be changing the way it is made?
The recipe says to cube, cook then puree because it assumes you're starting with a fresh squash. It just doesn't matter what you do because you're cooking and pureeing the finished product. So do what's easiest for you.

Freezing fresh vegetables often compromises texture. Texture is a non-issue as you are cooking and pureeing. If you know the squash is being used for soup, you could roast it, package the flesh and freeze it. Then just add it to the other soup ingredients.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
The Dude Abides
 
TATTRAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bermuda Native in D.C./NoVA
Posts: 5,324
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The recipe says to cube, cook then puree because it assumes you're starting with a fresh squash. It just doesn't matter what you do because you're cooking and pureeing the finished product. So do what's easiest for you.

Freezing fresh vegetables often compromises texture. Texture is a non-issue as you are cooking and pureeing. If you know the squash is being used for soup, you could roast it, package the flesh and freeze it. Then just add it to the other soup ingredients.
+1, I mean that REALLY sums it up.

If it is for a puree, and for soup, freezing it isn't going to hurt anything at all.
__________________
flickr
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,272
In fact you could purée it and freeze it.

You probably could make the soup and freeze it.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:08 AM   #5
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
In fact you could purée it and freeze it.

You probably could make the soup and freeze it.

Yeah, I did think about that. But I'm running out of room in my freezer and a bag of pureed squash takes up less room than two quarts of soup.

Thanks everyone, you cleared things up for me!
__________________
queenrakle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenrakle View Post
Yeah, I did think about that. But I'm running out of room in my freezer and a bag of pureed squash takes up less room than two quarts of soup.

Thanks everyone, you cleared things up for me!
Try freezing the soup flat in ziplock bags. Takes up less room that way.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
Head Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,079
If there is cream or butter in the soup, would that freeze/defrost ok ??
__________________
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
If there is cream or butter in the soup, would that freeze/defrost ok ??
I make a tomato soup that has cream in it and I've never had any problem freezing it.
__________________
queenrakle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
Senior Cook
 
pengyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 326
About 10 years back, Costco was selling large cans of powdered soups. Once was cream of broccoli, another was a squash soup...there were a couple more as well but don't remember the flavors. The cream of broccoli soup was OUTSTANDING! I could not believe that it was made from a powder. I know that at 8 months pregnant you are probably not interested in starting a new style of food preparation, but I am wondering - question to you all - is it easy to make this kind of soup at home? I mean, to powder the soup yourself?
__________________
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
+1, I mean that REALLY sums it up.

If it is for a puree, and for soup, freezing it isn't going to hurt anything at all.
+1 I do that all the time--cube, roast, puree pumpkin and winter squash to use in soups. I've done it with sweet potatoes and carrots as well. I usually add a few sprigs of fresh thyme or rosemary, a grate or two of fresh nutmeg, freshly ground black pepper. I don't usually add salt if I'm going to puree and freeze the squash, etc.
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
soup

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.