Freezing cooked pumpkin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chopper

Executive Chef
Moderator Emeritus
Hi all,
I am in the process of baking some pumpkin and will not be using it all for today's pie. I am planning on freezing what is leftover for another time. What is the best way to do this, and how long will it last in the freezer? Thanks so much!:)

Just put it in a freezer bag or container and freeze it It should be fine for a long time. You have a lot more flexibility with an ingredient than with a stand alone food.

Thanks Andy. I actually cooked it whole. I have never done it that way, but it worked great. I will just pack up the mashed pumpkin all measured up in the freezer bags then, and should be fine through the winter. I guess I just thaw it out and use it just like the canned or fresh?

Thanks Andy. I actually cooked it whole. I have never done it that way, but it worked great. I will just pack up the mashed pumpkin all measured up in the freezer bags then, and should be fine through the winter. I guess I just thaw it out and use it just like the canned or fresh?

Mashed as a side, as a pie filling, etc.

Mashed as a side, as a pie filling, etc.
You know, I tried it plain, and realized that it would probably be good with a little butter as a side. It is so much better than the canned stuff IMHO. It just seems so much sweeter. I froze several bags and will be excited to have it at a later time. The "pie" I made was without a crust, and very tasty too!:chef:

There was a discussion here last year about buying pumpkins on sale after Halloween and cooking and freezing them but I can't seem to find it.

I grew pumpkins last year, and kept them inside and cool until about March, when I finally had the inclination to process them for the freezer. I baked and pureed, packed into ziplocks, 2 cups per bag.

I used some of them for pie last weekend, and I understand that the pies were very tasty. I baked them for a benefit auction, they got $10-15 per pie for them! I am low carbing, so didn't even get a bite.

The pretty jack-o-lantern pumpkins don't make the best pie--look for the buff colored ones. Or use butternut squash--it makes great pies, very smooth and sweet.

Last edited:
I processed a very large jack-o-lantern style pumpking last year and it made a fantastic pie. I don't know why people say they don't make good pies.

Sprout baked her jack-o-lantern this year and squeezed out the excess water through a tea towel. She called and was wondering what to do withthe juice as she suspected that it had significant nutritional value, and great flavor. I suggested that she add pumpkin pie spices, freeze it, and shave it. She called me back a few days later and said that she did that and it was great, and very refreshing.

I baked off one of my pumpkins 2 nights ago. I'll be removing the excess juice tonight. I've got two more pumpkins to process. I'll be saving those juices. I will make some pie-flvored punch, with some, shaved ice with some, and I want to try making a panna cotta with some. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. I'm thinking that the panna cotta will be really good.:chef:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom