"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table

Old 11-28-2013, 07:01 AM   #11
Head Chef

I never did the oil thing, but i infuse vinegar with my herbs on occasion. I find tha oregano thyme, mint , bay leaf and rosemary dry well. Parsley and dill freeze well ( as long as using them to cook with, frozen will not replace for fresh usage. Ive tried drying and freezing basil many different ways, but for me fresh is by far the best, so i dont waste my time with the basil. I actually have an aerogarden which supplies me with fresh basil in the winter months until i can grow it outside again in the spring / summer.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:05 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

I do infuse herbs with oil and water. The oil I use most is olive, because it has a longer shelf life at room temperature. I wouldn’t advise the use of canola, corn oil or vegetable oil. Most of these will be made from genetically modified crops, which I do not recommend for consumption. Water based infusions are very similar to making tea, except that an infusion will steep longer.* You can use a muslin tea bag or stainless steel tea ball to hold your herbs, but I generally prefer to leave my herbs loose and then strain after brewing.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:40 AM   #13
Master Chef

This C. botulinum-stuff is of no significance in G. Never heard of the danger coming from oil, not even in the time I got my training in food monitoring.
Is it really a problem over the sea or just another one of these "we must consider every risk, no matter how probable"?

You can't see bacteria at all with your eyes, there might be a chance of the oil getting a bit cloudy, but white strings are most likely some sort of mold...
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindarichmond View Post
I do infuse herbs with oil and water. The oil I use most is olive, because it has a longer shelf life at room temperature. I wouldn’t advise the use of canola, corn oil or vegetable oil. Most of these will be made from genetically modified crops, which I do not recommend for consumption. Water based infusions are very similar to making tea, except that an infusion will steep longer.* You can use a muslin tea bag or stainless steel tea ball to hold your herbs, but I generally prefer to leave my herbs loose and then strain after brewing.
The link goes to a page that sells dried herbs. Do you use dried herbs in your infusions? That's very different from the topic of this thread, which is infusing with fresh herbs.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
This C. botulinum-stuff is of no significance in G. Never heard of the danger coming from oil, not even in the time I got my training in food monitoring.
Is it really a problem over the sea or just another one of these "we must consider every risk, no matter how probable"?

You can't see bacteria at all with your eyes, there might be a chance of the oil getting a bit cloudy, but white strings are most likely some sort of mold...
When we visited our former German exchange student a few years ago, we first had dinner with his parents in one town. The next day, he and we left for Berlin, stopping by a castle for touring on the way. He had a box of food from his mother in the trunk: cooked meat, sausages, leftover mayo-based potato salad, etc. It sat at room temperature all day. I couldn't imagine eating it and storing food that way certainly is the opposite of what I was taught in the ServSafe food-safety course in culinary school.

I think a lot of this depends on someone's personal willingness to take an educated risk. It's not worth the risk to me to make herb-infused oil for long-term storage when it's so easy to make as needed, and I'm certainly not going to risk someone else's life by giving them as gifts.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #16
Head Chef

Botulism: Think Outside the Jar
Old 12-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #17
Master Chef

so it seems to be an issue over there...
It's not here in G..
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 12-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
so it seems to be an issue over there...
It's not here in G..
Maybe because you're just used to it Just kidding.

From How Not to Die of Botulism - Bradley Wertheim - The Atlantic

Quote:
Botulism, the illness caused by toxin exposure, first received scientific attention in rural Germany in the late 18th century. Officials in Stuttgart saw an increase in “sausage poisoning” in the wake of the Napoleonic wars, possibly due to poor sanitation and widespread poverty. In the 1820s, a young German physician named Justinus Kerner was the first scientist to publish an accurate and comprehensive description of the disease. He analyzed more than 200 cases of suspected sausage poisoning. He fed extracts of these “sour” sausages to animals and described the classic symptoms of botulism. Muscle weakness leading to drooped eye lids, difficulty swallowing, and respiratory failure; altered autonomic nerve function leading to vomiting, pupil dilation, and dry mouth. Brazenly, he sampled a few drops of this extract himself—he survived, though it caused a “great drying out of the palate and pharynx,” a harbinger of Botox’s modern application in treating uncontrollable salivation for those with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or Lou Gehrig’s disease. Grateful citizens dubbed the scientist “Wurst-Kerner,” for his pioneering contributions to public health and sausagery. In 1870, another German physician renamed the illness “botulism” after the Latin word “botulus,” or sausage.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #19
Master Chef

It's becoming an issue in cattle... seems all the biogas plant slurry somehow contaminates the fields and the gras used for feeding the cattle.. chronic botulism, it's called.
But human cases are very rare - maybe because we are used to it due to natural immunization

latest data from 2010 is four cases..